Band 2 barometric altimeter fix.

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

In case anyone still uses his/hers band 2, I would like to post a solution to a recent problem that i have encountered.

Recently my floor count started to act wacky. From fairly accuarate readings, it started to show that i have climbed 100-200 floors each day. Also, altimeter readings in running/cycling/hiking mode were changing constantly. I was close to ditching the band, but in an last attempt, after some research, I have tried to repair it with a positive outcome.

So, here is the fix for faulty altimeter that worked for me:
Prepare some dishwasher soap and solve it with water. Take a toothbrush (preferably a soft one), dip it in water and gently clean the altimeter (it is a small hole on the opposite side where the buttons are). Brush gently. You can dip the side of the band in the dishwasher soap, so the hole is underwater and try to brush it with your toothbrush. After that, I have used oxidized water to wash the altimeter (a gentle stream) so there would be no residues left after the soap vaporizes/dries. Leave the band for an hour to let it dry.

In my case, it took almost one year to accumulate the dirt and sweat that made my altimeter go crazy (I suspect it was the reason of the malfunction).
I am now week after the cleaning and my band is all good. Floor count is as accuarate as it was before and there are no other side effects, nor traces of water damage.

Hope it helps anyone.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Wow, you had one last a year! I've owned 3, and my last one lasted 10 months before the GPS stopped working. Of course all 3 required band crack fixes and 2 required battery replacements. I've since tried a Vivoactive 3 music and settled on Ionic which I use now. Still prefer Band 2. 2nd place is VA3. Wish I hadn't returned it for Ionic.

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow, you had one last a year! I've owned 3, and my last one lasted 10 months before the GPS stopped working. Of course all 3 required band crack fixes and 2 required battery replacements. I've since tried a Vivoactive 3 music and settled on Ionic which I use now. Still prefer Band 2. 2nd place is VA3. Wish I hadn't returned it for Ionic.

I am surprised as well.
After having 4 bands (first model) that haven't lasted a year, this was my first band 2. I have read the forums, educated myself about tearing straps, battery failures and other malfunctions, but still decided to get one (it was after the EOL announcement).
It has all the features that i need, plus you can do so many things on your band, without using the app and it has a killer feature for me: hiking mode. I love mountain hiking and the data i get from the band itself on the go, helps me very much.

I was close to buying ionic, as after deep research, it had the most features of band 2, but managed to revive my band.

Thing is, i love size of the band. It is so compact, but the display allows you to get so much information (contrary to garmin vivosport and all other bands). I'm not convinced how comfortable is sleeping with ionic vs band 2.

To stop the offtopic - i have to PM You about the ionic!

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
As a former Band 2 user, 3 years, I"ve settled on Vivoactive 3 music. I spent 3 weeks with Ionic and returned due to problem syncs, horrible battery life and missing tracking features. The VA3 Music blows Ionic away and is much better than Band 2 IMHO. The chroma display is fantastic for outside.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb