Things that surprised me about the Invoke...

PimpBot5001

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I know I'm late to the party, but I thought I'd share my observations regarding the Invoke in case anyone is still considering buying it.
I've been intrigued by the Harman Kardon Invoke since it was first announced, but there were a number of reasons why I didn't buy it (non-availability and non-support in Canada, Microsoft's questionable track record with hardware/support).

However, I recently discovered a company that specializes in shipping USA exclusive products to Canada, so I finally decided to order it. With the extra fees/markup (and a newsletter signup discount), I ended up paying around $90Cdn.

I've set up and have been using the Invoke for a couple days, and here are a few things I didn't expect:

-I was going to use my Windows10 PC to set up the Invoke, but soon discovered that that wouldn't work because my PC doesn't have built in Wi-Fi. In all my research, I don't recall that every being mentioned as a requirement. So, my only other option was to try using my Windows phone, and that worked.
-After setup was complete, I was able to modify the Invoke setting using my PC.

-I had read that the Skype subscription (which includes free calls from the USA to any location within North America, including landlines) was a limited time offer that expired last year. But to my surprise, I received an email the next day saying that my Skype subscription had been activated. I've confirmed that the local landline call feature actually works.

-I've never used TuneIn or iHeartRadio before so I had no expectations...but I am happy with it so far.

-I was expecting to receive the type of power supply where the brick is in the middle of the power cable. Instead, I received the type where the brick plugs directly into the power outlet. Unfortunately, it is very bulky and prevents a second appliance from being plugged into that outlet. But I still prefer this style because I don't like having a brick floating around in no man's land

-I read in a number of places that I would need to specify Celsius when asking for the current weather...but Cortana has been providing the current temperature and forecast in Celsius by default

-I've used Cortana before on the Xbox One Kinect and found it very frustrating because I would basically have to yell in order for my voice commands to be heard, and would often have to repeat my questions/commands. On the Invoke, Cortana is a vastly superior listener.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm happy you're happy lol. I just hope MS doesn't drop Cortana! Recent insider builds have me thinking that they won't, but the development has dropped off! They're way behind the competition in terms of 'smarts'

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy you're happy lol. I just hope MS doesn't drop Cortana! Recent insider builds have me thinking that they won't, but the development has dropped off! They're way behind the competition in terms of 'smarts'
What development does a product need beyond “Hey Cortana, open Alexa”.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3