Windows Hello and Continuum: necessary specs?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been out of the loop in the last 5 months. What are the necessary specs for getting Windows Hello and Continuum once Windows 10 Mobile is released? If I buy a Lumia 640, will I have it?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Windows Hello on the PC, requires extra hardware (a sensor). As for Continuum it will need a new phone with the supported feature from how I read about it.

It's based on hardware to get it to work so current models will not support it as I understand. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I have an ICON, it's the flagship WP device as of now (along with the 930), and I don't foresee getting it on this phone, although it would be cool if it could.

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows Hello on the PC, requires extra hardware (a sensor). As for Continuum it will need a new phone with the supported feature from how I read about it.

It's based on hardware to get it to work so current models will not support it as I understand. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I have an ICON, it's the flagship WP device as of now (along with the 930), and I don't foresee getting it on this phone, although it would be cool if it could.

I could see them in the future adding support to the Snapdragon 800 chipset (re 930/1520), but AFAIK based on whats been said, I'd expect Snapdragon 810 and above CPU needed for Contiuum.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
That's what I understood but when Daniel Rubino mentionnent in his Ask Dan video that the 1020 wouldn't support these features, I thought maybe other phones would. But I guess he was referring to future phones.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
No, a L640 will get neither, nor will any other currently available phone. You'll have to wait a few more months if those features interest you.

For Continuum the GPU must be able to drive two displays simultaneously, which AFAIK no currently used SoC can do.

Windows Hello encompasses a set of biometric authentication methods. Facial recognition, iris scanning and fingerprint sensing are all parts of Windows Hello. All of them require sensors no current WP device has.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
No, a L640 will get neither, nor will any other currently available phone. You'll have to wait a few more months if those features interest you.

For Continuum the GPU must be able to drive two displays simultaneously, which AFAIK no currently used SoC can do.

Windows Hello encompasses a set of biometric authentication methods. Facial recognition, iris scanning and fingerprint sensing are all parts of Windows Hello. All of them require sensors no current WP device has.

Well, Facial recognition is/can be done by software, so it COULD be possible, if your front camera had a 2 mp camera or higher, it could work. I guess lighting would have to be perfect to get the good image to be accurate. As for the other features, I agree sensors would be needed and as they are not part of the standard hardware spec for WIndows Phone 8.1, they were never included, even as a disabled option.

On a PC, Facial recognition, could be done with some better quality web cams if Microsoft enabled it(again, lighting would have to be right). All depends on how they are doing it in software and how many points they are accepting to authorize the user.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, Facial recognition is/can be done by software, so it COULD be possible.
It's true that facial recognition COULD be done with any old camera.
HOWEVER! MS' technique relies on infrared light and depth sensing technology. The idea is to protect against the obvious exploit, where a picture of you is held in front of your device's camera. This obviously requires the ability to emit infrared light and a camera that is sensitive to it. That is not possible with any old camera, and that's why even this part of Windows Hello requires dedicated hardware/sensors (for desktops, tablets and phones).

Last edited:

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
It's true that facial recognition COULD be done with any old camera.

HOWEVER! MS' technique relies on infrared light, which is used to recognize the structure of your face beneath your skin. The idea to protect against the simple exploit where a picture is held in front of your device's camera. This obviously requires the ability to emit infrared light and a camera that is sensitive to it. That is not possible with any old camera, and that's why even this part of Windows Hello requires dedicated hardware/sensors.

I remember, I had a friends android devive who used to be unlocked with facial recognition, and as you said, we just had to hold a picture, even on a screen phone, to unlock the device.
Really not a very safe system.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I got one of the RealSense camera's from Intel, I am wondering if we're getting the fully featured HELLO on day #1 - anyone know?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ AFAIK that's the primary camera MS uses for development. If any camera gets day #1 support, it will likely be that one.

Last edited:

DuncanBishop

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Very interesting stuff..I came here to see what the spec were.
So I'm guessing we'll all have to wait for the next gen windows phones.
I wonder if sammy will make a new windows 10 phone??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro