Continuum for Phone allow only 1 app at a time? What's the point?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere recently that the Continuum feature for phone will only allow running a single app at a time while in that mode.
Hopefully I am mistaken but I interpret that to mean that you can only run a single app such as Outlook mail, or Excel at a time and not have them running snapped side by side or in windows.

If that's the case - sounds like Continuum for phone will be very limited in its appeal. To me, the whole point would be able to dock it and run Edge, Outlook, and some Office docs while writing a paper, etc.

I hope this report is wrong and Microsoft makes a change here?

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Nope, not wrong. You will still be able to use your phone while using Continuum. Things might change once Intel phones are introduced but this is still huge for a lot of people. I rarely have to snap two apps at the same time but that's just my personal experience and your complaint is your own personal experience. Remember Continuum for phones is in its first generation...

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Continuum is sill premature and it takes a year or two to get refined. It takes a lot of cpu and graphic power to drive a large monitor. So the cpu and graphic chips must get really efficient not producing a lot of heat since they are confined in a thin smart cell phone enclosure with no active ventilation, only conduction .

mikemuch

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
You can run multiple apps at the same time and switch among them from the taskbar--or even with Mutiple Virtual desktops!--but yeah, the apps all run full screen, which is sort of disappointing.

blazewon22

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Think about how un-distracted you will be putting together that PowerPoint deck! ;-)

Seriously, I've been using Continuum a lot and most of the time its not an issue. You still have the action center and switching is a breeze.

Its like working on a tablet running Android or iOS 8.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Nope, not wrong. You will still be able to use your phone while using Continuum. Things might change once Intel phones are introduced but this is still huge for a lot of people. I rarely have to snap two apps at the same time but that's just my personal experience and your complaint is your own personal experience. Remember Continuum for phones is in its first generation...

The limitation is the mobile OS itself. If they built in snapping in the OS for phablets or for continuum mode, it would work. I think the first step is going 64-bit which current branch of windows production does not support. The processor isn't the limitation because these apps do not require strong processors really. Plus most processors are multi-core systems. You can have applications using their own threads for each processor/core. This will definitely come in the future. Maybe older models of phones won't support it. But the phones using continuum are powerful and can easily handle it. Keep in mind I can play asphalt 8 on my phone while playing another game in continuum and do it smoothly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99