Tablet mode has 2 major bugs

ramiss

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

So Tablet mode bothers me for two reasons (using a Surface Pro 3)

1). I cannot Cut and Paste too and from Metro apps to non-Metro programs in Tablet mode. For example, I cannot cut from Desktop Chrome and paste into the new Mail app while in Tablet mode. Turning off Tablet mode allows the paste to happen. It's like there is a separate Clipboard for Metro Apps.

2). Where is my Desktop in Tablet Mode?? I even re-created the old "Show Desktop" shortcut for the Start Menu and it shows the Desktop, but all icons are hidden. Surely this is a bug or MS failed again. I want the easy touch of Tablet Mode (with full screen Start Menu) AND the ability to run things from my Desktop (like Win 8.1).

MS is honestly over thinking this. All we needed with 8.1 was a checkbox option to use either the 8.1 Start Menu or the Win 7 Start Menu. Now with Win 10, if you want to hide the Desktop from Tablet users then give us an "OPTION" to un-hide it. MS seems so afraid of giving the user choices that they are becoming more like Apple every year.

Richard

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Having no desktop in tablet mode is a design option. I like it as it creates more organization and gives you the feeling that it is really a tablet.

Having said that, please file/upvote your suggestion/bug in the feedback app too.

If the first one can be reproduced, it is defiantly a bug that they need to fix.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
You can leave it on desktop mode and set the start menu to be full screen if you wish. If you want the desktop, don't use tablet mode.

Jas Holden

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
While using a tablet, toggle between desktop and tablet mode by swiping in from the right and looking at the tiles on the bottom of the Action Center, tap the top left tile to go from tablet mode to desktop and vice versa

StarLog

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Seems in tablet mode not to rotate either.

Surface Pro I

EDIT: Found where to set rotate... :0

Last edited:

b8ll

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Completely agree with OP.

Even worse, I can't run tablet mode on my PC because I have multiple monitors. I rarely used the desktop in 8.1 unless Firefox/Chrome was needed due to Modern IE's shortcomings. 8.1 allowed me to have the Start Screen on all monitors but 10 has done away with that. Even though I enabled the full-screen Start Menu, it goes away as soon as focus moves to another monitor. I don't see the appeal of staring at a static desktop when I could be glancing at live tiles.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Fellas, I came across this and here's what's what. I literally figured this all out at the time of typing

Ramiss, from your issues:

!. Your best solution as of now is to just leave your device in Desktop Mode and use your Modern apps as well as your desktop programs within their respective windows. For viewing options read below.

2. It's not the same, per se, but if you disable tablet mode and stay in the desktop, press the Start button to show your Start Screen where you can navigate and interact with your Start Screen. It's almost like Bizzaro Superman or The Reverse Flash.

IMPORTANT!!! To save on frustration, enable Auto-Show the touch keyboard in windowed apps, under Settings>Devices>Typing, it's the last option.

Now my experience/issues with the changes thus far and the fixes/workarounds I've come up with.

I would often project the desktop (because of ease of access to the on-screen keyboard, as I could just enable it with one click from the taskbar with my mouse instead of the Charms Bar ) from my Lenovo Flex 10 (a hinged 2in1) to my TV through my Actiontec ScreenBeam Mini (great device, cheaper than the MS Miracast Dongle in same form factor) for shows & movies from this streaming site I use, and have my device in my hands in the Start/Modern UI for games, Touch IE, or whatever. I got upset and almost rolled back to Win8.1 because of this and my beloved Charms Bar, which I still might do before my option is expired.

A quick little fix I've just found, literally before I started typing this sentence, is that you can be in Desktop mode and project that to an external display, then open a Modern 'touch' app from your Start Menu and force it Full Screen with the diagonal arrows in the Title (top) bar to give you that full screen Tablet UI we used to love & have in Win8.1. Your task and title bars just becomes hidden and a swipe or mouse hover from top or bottom displays it, respectively, again. Only problem is that if you mouse click on the projected screen, your device's screen reverts away from full screen and minimize to the taskbar. Then once your done with the projected desktop, simply tap on the tab to resume full screen again. Alternatively, you could just maximize the app to avoid the jumping out/thing, but then you will have the Task & Title bars visible at all times (unless you auto-hide the Taskbar in it's settings), whichever way is up to you, I guess. Not a huge deal breaker anymore, unless you go all OCD over it & mine isn't that bad, yet. 8) Like I said fellas, I am literally figuring this out as I type this on my L630.

We're all learning as we go here with Win10. Remember we're a community here and we've got to try help each other out wherever we can.

Last edited:

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I find that if I stay in desktop mode on my SP3, input fields on the lower half of the screen get covered up when the keyboard pops up, rather than moving up above the keyboard.

ramiss

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
To me the inability to cut and paste between apps and programs is the biggest issue.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss