The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-30-2016 06:10 PM
224 1234 ...
tools
    I only see Continuum as something businesses will take most advantage of mostly. If it can be made available to connect to a Mac and show Windows there, then I could see having it on my phone to take advantage of Continuum. Microsoft haven't really detailed WHY continuum is anything beyond a business utility so at least for me, its not yet a must have.
    Last edited by Jazmac; 09-27-2015 at 10:27 AM.
    tgp, ttsoldier, aximtreo and 1 others like this.
    09-27-2015 10:11 AM
    The thing is you still need a full-sized keyboard, mouse, and large monitor for most business purposes, so it won't really reduce the amount of crap you have to haul around with you. No business person would dare go on the road without a "real" computer (probably a decent-sized laptop) because you couldn't count on finding the right equipment at the other end of your trip to work with Continuum. Sure, there will be niche scenarios where it makes sense. For example, it might be a great backup if your laptop bites the dust, assuming everything important you need is in the cloud. But I don't see the current business model of computers in cubicles going away anytime soon.
    09-27-2015 11:12 AM
    The thing is you still need a full-sized keyboard, mouse, and large monitor for most business purposes, so it won't really reduce the amount of crap you have to haul around with you. No business person would dare go on the road without a "real" computer (probably a decent-sized laptop) because you couldn't count on finding the right equipment at the other end of your trip to work with Continuum. Sure, there will be niche scenarios where it makes sense. For example, it might be a great backup if your laptop bites the dust, assuming everything important you need is in the cloud. But I don't see the current business model of computers in cubicles going away anytime soon.
    In all fairness, I expect the places where a business person would visit to do presentations are businesses that can supply things like keyboards, mice, a display and access to the network. All the presenter need do is whip out the phone and note cards. Standard stuff.
    Tom Snyder and JoyfullJuneBug like this.
    09-27-2015 06:34 PM
    I see Continuum becoming big in another two or three. This first release will have challenges and will largely be a novelty, like any new technology.

When we see a lot of phones that are Intel-based, we'll see Continuum making a can't in the consumer market. Some people who dont consider themselves big computing enthusiasts may choose to just have one main computing device. They'll have a docking station at home.
    a5cent and JoyfullJuneBug like this.
    09-27-2015 07:15 PM
    This really isn't for traveling IMO. I think the idea here is meetings and "on the move" work. For example where I work, they allocate cube spaces throughout the buildings for traveling users, these cubes are called "Hot Desks". Basically we stage these desks with a Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse & Docking station. The idea is for users to bring their own business laptop, dock in and work. Now apply the same ideology to Windows 10 Mobile continuum devices. This would also be great for presenting PowerPoints, Excel's, etc in meeting rooms and presentation rooms without having to bring your entire laptop along. Another scenario would be say your desk is in Building A, but you're currently in Building C and you need to update a document before a meeting or type a lengthy response to an important e-mail, you could just hop into one the Hot Desk cubes, dock your phone and have a Desktop experience for working in Office without having to run back to your desk or deal with typing on a mobile device.

Definitely a feature catered to business & enterprise at the moment.
    09-27-2015 09:55 PM
    My phone has 20 MP camera, NFC and rarely use it.

I don't even use that Qi charge stand for cars.

Continuum may great but I don't think that I'll use it often for now. But it always nice to have features.

In future continuum came to low end phone and high end one has more silly features. Maybe holographic continuum so you don't need any mouse keyboard and monitor.

Who knows?
    09-27-2015 10:00 PM
    i don't think you understand what the implications are.
    09-28-2015 03:38 AM
    I heard last week that 20-30% of (US) smartphone users, that is their only computer. If that lone computer can be used for "more than a phone", I believe continuum makes for a very compelling option.
    Tom Snyder and horseybob like this.
    09-28-2015 08:44 AM
    Will I use Continuum? Maybe, maybe not. I have a gaming desktop PC with 4 monitors and a surface pro 2 so this is definitely not a major feature for me. However, do I see it being really useful for a significantly large amount of people? Yes! My mom and brother both use Windows Phones right now (brother has an Icon, mom has a 635) based on my recommendation. Neither of them really have a need to have a powerhouse desktop or laptop -- they do some light web browsing, social media, youtube, etc. If they could just drop their phone in a dock or connect it with a cable to be able to seamlessly work on a monitor, keyboard and mouse it would be more than enough power for them. Right now my mom has me book her airline tickets and hotels and things like that because she doesn't like typing that much information on her phone, if she could connect to a screen and keyboard she'd absolutely use it and love it.
    09-28-2015 01:16 PM
    It may be useful for anyone who isn't a PC power user.
    09-28-2015 01:33 PM
    I bet continuum will be amazing in emerging markets like Africa and SE Asia where everyone has a mobile phone, but can't always afford a laptop or computer. If an NGO is going to bring technology to a school in rural africa, wouldn't it make more sense to just get the teachers 5 montors or projectors for the cost of 1 laptop, if they already happen to have WM10 phones anyway? It's a potentially unique way of ensuring access and bringing education and technology to people at a lower cost.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    09-28-2015 01:44 PM
    What about business where the networks aren't accessible unless your computer is a part of their domain.

Some businesses, won't even allow you to connect to a WIFI if you aren't part of their corporate domain.

How will this work for the phones? Will the phones be able to join a domain?

Is there an ethernet port on the continuum dock?

Now.. It seems just useless...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-28-2015 04:32 PM
    For the average user, Continuum may be overkill. For Road Warriors and others like me who are constantly in remote locations, it could be very beneficial. Being able to finish a project on a remote site without having to reconvene at an office due to not having presentation equipment could be the difference between closing a deal or being an also-ran. It is sure to impress clients who haven't seen or heard of that type of technology.
    Laura Knotek, Jazmac and horseybob like this.
    09-28-2015 05:32 PM
    I don't have use for it. I cannot imagine a situation, when I have a keyboard and screen available but not having a tablet/laptop with me.
    svenhassel and iggim like this.
    09-28-2015 05:34 PM
    And IMHO, it's the reason for reduced usability and UI awkwardness that we are seeing in WP 10 now. I want it to be a good smartphone first.
    iggim likes this.
    09-28-2015 05:42 PM
    For work (bioinformatics), I need to be in a UNIX environment. All of the tools I use work best when run on OS X or Linux; working with UNIX on Windows is a major pain. That being said, Windows is, I feel, the best content creation platform, with content being things like slideshows and documents. Microsoft Office is, far and away, the best productivity suite and is the biggest reason I keep either a partition or (what I currently have) entirely separate device for Windows. What Continuum will do for me is eliminate that Windows laptop from the plethora of devices I use and carry around regularly. I love Windows Phone and have used since WP7 (HTC Trophy!). Heck, I even had a Kin way back when, Microsoft's mobile operating systems have always been my favorite. But for desktop computing needs, all I use Windows for is Office. For everything else, I live and breath Linux. With Continuum, I can (and will) connect to a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to use Office and cut out my need for a larger Windows system.
    09-29-2015 02:13 AM
    Is not only for bisnes ..I get the app flash sport, pro movies and I can see all the sports live and movies on a big screen... is great
    09-29-2015 07:04 AM
    Not only low-end or emerging markets need it. Unlike some here believe it is being marketed for those with no PC access at all, it's not. It has been related to business and enterprise a few times. In the video they also show how in a dock-filled environment, you just dock your phone. Your phone is not a phone any longer, with devices like 1320, 1520, 640 XL, 940 XL etc - you have huge screens that can be docked in a meeting room, where you have a screen per person to show off their bit of work on project one after the other. - Just one example. I see continuum in a BYOD environment as a success rather than in emerging markets.
    09-29-2015 08:14 AM
    I heard last week that 20-30% of (US) smartphone users, that is their only computer. If that lone computer can be used for "more than a phone", I believe continuum makes for a very compelling option.
    Link?
    09-29-2015 09:00 AM
    If MS makes an app to make Continuum work on my Mac laptop, I would love that. Will be able to ditch the old HP laptop I keep just for Windows purposes.
    09-29-2015 09:23 AM
    I think Continuum is primarily for enterprise customers and that's why the 950 XL will be supported initially with the Continuum dock.

If there really is a market for Continuum as a feature, Microsoft could always adopt its app strategy with respect to iOS/Android to Apple/Android-based hardware by bringing Continuum to iPhones and Android phones. That would seem to be the logical way to expand Continuum usage.
    09-29-2015 10:08 AM
    It is a Windows Phone... you can already connect via "Work Access" that allows you to have all the normal permissions that a device would have if enrolled in the management software. If that is the case then the phone's wifi is a valid option and it doesn't matter if the dock has an ethernet port. not sure if it does.
    09-29-2015 10:16 AM
    LOL Apple letting MS tell it how to build phones.... not gonna happen. As for Android... out of the hundreds of people who can make phones do you really think they are going to listen?

Continuum is not just a feature that can be programmed into the phone it requires the hardware to go with the software. Can it be done? Sure... Will it be done without being on MS phones? Maybe!
    09-29-2015 10:22 AM
    Yeah, that would be funny. Like a 2x4 upside the head kind of funny. ;)

On second thought, if Continuum proves to be a feature that really catches on, then Apple can make its own iContinuum dock for iPhones and Google can make its own NexusContinuum dock for Android phones.
    09-29-2015 11:16 AM
    Samsung already had patent a while back for a laptop form that docked a phone.
    09-29-2015 12:58 PM
224 1234 ...