Do you NEED Continuum?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I think Continuum is a very niche product. It will not be a major contribution to Windows Phone sales.

If I purchase a Windows 10 phone, it will not be because of continuum. How will continuum benefit me?

I already have a Windows 10 laptop/tablet.. What advantage is Continuum to me? All the apps that are on my phone will be available on my pc/tablet.

In my opinion, Continuum will more be geared towards business users who travel a lot in between offices. It will help reduce the cost of laptops for a business.

But to your average day to day user... How is Continuum going to benefit you?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I mean one day continuum is gonna be on low end phones too which means that soon anyone could literally have a pc in their pocket. Just plug and play

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
For now its a glamorous feature but later it's going be really important. Kind of like how important Windows on PCs are like today.

Last edited:

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it's not for someone who has already made a significant investment into laptops/tablets/ and desktops. however, when i give my kid their first phone, this will be great. they can use it as their only device.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My issue with Continuum is that I don't know what problem it solves. I like it and I support the idea, but I think I like it for the same reason Microsoft is making it - because it's cool. I keep hearing how Continuum is for emerging markets. Okay, then why is it touted as a premier feature of a $700 phone? Before I can truly believe in Continuum I have to see it featured on low-end handsets. The people that can afford a 950 XL (and monthly service) can likely buy a desktop, tablet or laptop. But if Microsoft could turn a $40 Lumia 635 into a full fledged productivity device then Continuum might be the next big thing.

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My issue with Continuum is that I don't know what problem it solves. I like it and I support the idea, but I think I like it for the same reason Microsoft is making it - because it's cool. I keep hearing how Continuum is for emerging markets. Okay, then why is it touted as a premier feature of a $800 phone? Before I can truly believe in Continuum I have to see it featured on low-end handsets. The people that can afford a 950 XL (and monthly service) can likely buy a desktop, tablet or laptop. But if Microsoft could turn a $40 Lumia 635 into a full fledged productivity device then Continuum might be the next big thing.

Agreed. All it has is the "cool" factor

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
... But if Microsoft could turn a $40 Lumia 635 into a full fledged productivity device then Continuum might be the next big thing.

I've used a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with my 640xl, and it works pretty flawlessly. i havent tried it with miracast, but I don't think it would be that different(hopefully). That said, it's not continuum.

the thing i don't understand is the whole desktop environment. Universal apps will be up there, so i suppose that means I can run 4 windows at a time? so i can see outlook, word, excel, and watch a movie? all from my phone? or will there be limitations? will i be able to use this on a 34" curved display?

I think it's cool. but its something i don't completely understand. and I want to know more about it.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I would use it if it were easy to set up with any TV. Just push a button and everything is ready for you including a keyboard and mouse materialized from ether.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Continuum is awesome.

Does anyone "need" it? Well, do we "need" anything new? We got along without it.

Did we need the cloud before it became popular? No. Many people didn't like the idea of it. It was useless for many. But now, many of us have integrated it into our lives.

Did we "need" GPS? Most already had GPS devices. Why get it on your phone and drain your battery? But now, it's an integral function.

Did we "need" a camera in the phone? Most people had digital cameras that were of better quality? Why use a phone camera? But now, it's a necessary component.

In technology, we have to think beyond the present and our current workflows.

dumgeek

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Continuum with enough (banks, government, tv broadcasters, acrobat...) universal business apps ( all the full desktop features ) will be a hit, but without apps it's worthless!
The strategy would be, once windows 10 has replace nearly all previous windows version, to only support universal apps.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I think Continuum is a very niche product. It will not be a major contribution to Windows Phone sales.

If I purchase a Windows 10 phone, it will not be because of continuum. How will continuum benefit me?

I already have a Windows 10 laptop/tablet.. What advantage is Continuum to me? All the apps that are on my phone will be available on my pc/tablet.

In my opinion, Continuum will more be geared towards business users who travel a lot in between offices. It will help reduce the cost of laptops for a business.

But to your average day to day user... How is Continuum going to benefit you?

Of course it won't have a major affect on sales for Windows phone... what ever does?

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't thing anyone needs it, but if it is functional enough, some of us might find it useful!
Either way choices are always great... :)
Let's say you enter your living room with a youtube video playing on your phone (via perfect tube which is UWP app??), then you could instantly continue watching it on your tv..
I think you catch my point.. It is an option, you'll have more flexibilities with your phone.

For a weird reason, when I'm watching a movie or reading the news on my desktop computer, I find myself using tablet mode!
I know I don't need it, but in a way, it transforms the experience to a simpler/ slightly different experience..
I have the option to interact with the pc in a different way so I do it!
That's the spirit :p

My only concern about continuum is that MS might falls in the same usability-black-hole like they just did on Windows RT with the new start screen..

From the demos till now, when connecting your phone it seems that you enter the desktop mode of a pc with your phone's start screen (look-a-like).
The people using continuum will expect to perform similar to the full windows, meaning they will expect to see apps in windows! (which they wont see)
Now, I think that this (fake) start screen should be presented just like the tablet mode on W10 devices. When you press on an app, an app pops-up and nothing more. This way you, as MS, don't feed the trolls and the first snobby blog - writers that seek every opportunity to bash your products, and of course, you won't confuse your customers.

Well I hope that in all this videos,
they were making their first babysteps and continuum will be much improved functionality and looks wise, on October 6 :)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Not at all. The only places you have monitors/tv's are you own home. Likely already connected to more powerful devices.

Businesses could take advantage of it. Especially new businesses. You create an office with docking stations and you have to give out phones anyways. So don't have to invest in both pc's and phones. Now for the average consumer it's pretty useless unless there are monitors/stations setup everywhere. This is something MS would have to partner with coffee shops etc..

Now if the phone managed to squeeze in a high res projector without making it super bulky and attaching bluetooth keyboard/mouse where you can use it as a pc on any wall, that would be a bit more appetizing.

Another crowd that uses mostly phones and may not have enough money for say separate laptops and pc's, this could be an advantage. This could include college kids and so on. But they will likely go after phones where they can use apps to communicate with their friends etc.. not enough apps on the windows platform as of yet.

But honestly, my PC is super powerful and connects to my 55 inch tv anyways. No use for it for me.

It seems more driven for business. Even the iris scanner would be very appealing to a business where security is integral. Now for me it would be just uber cool to have one.

At this point in time I think it's useless. MS has a 2 year plan for what they are trying to achieve. So what will be of it in 2 years, that's hard to tell. But a lot can happen in 2 years.

And the youtube issue mentioned above is not really a big deal. You can send youtube links that have the exact time you left off on. So you just go to your computer and watch it there.

What you need for a phone to be popular is the following in the order specified:
-Appealing design (Yes a phone is a fashion accessory, it is with you all the time, it's the first thing that grabs peoples' eyes. The majority of people who own a smart phone are not super techies wanting some neat feature on a block of plastic)
-Functionality, but this isn't just what's built in. Most functionality is extended through apps. If I want to go to starbucks and pay for my starbucks I can't do it on windows phone. If I want to pay for items anywhere it's just not doable. I want to be able to communicate with my friends, i may not be able to because they are using some app that isn't on this ecosystem. So app ecosystem and built in functionality go together.
-Extra features beyond this, security features like iris and continuum. They will only come into play once the other items are met.

Now design a phone that is just like a pc and is really powerful and you have a better chance of selling it. People decide instead of replacing their aging computers/laptops just buy a phone. This isn't going to happen with the arm devices. And who knows when it will happen.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I can see the simplest use of using Miracast to play a video onto a screen while I still browse and do email on my phone as being useful, especially on a 5.7" screen. That two screen function is the key to the whole thing.

How often I'd then add a mouse or keyboard and use full screen as a PC... when travelling I could see me do that. Go on vacation with a folding keyboard, miracast dongle and my phone. If I had to do something then I'd have an ultra portable remote desktop client to access my real PC and do just about anything in a very usable manner.

Without playing with it and seeing capability it's hard to say how useful/usable it is yet.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Continuum will be a definite need for me, and I find it laughable for the comment, " no one needs it" sure just like no one needs SMS text, GPS, a camera, accurate compass, Navigation and so forth. My phone doesn't have any games on it neither is a used for social media, does not mean others really do not like those features.

I can remember when my wife bought our first desktop in the early 90's though that was a waste of money, after about 2 months of use found it was one of the best tools a person could have for gather valuable information, news, weather and technical equipment data instantly not to mention the office tools. She also had the 1st cell phone in our house which I thought was silly, finally she made me carry hers when I traveled by foot in remote areas by myself in case something happened to me, lol never let her know it only worked on top of the highest mountain, but then she got one with a camera around 2000 and that hooked me. Since then I've had several of my own now I have phone 1520 with a nice camera, gps device and pocket PC all in my pocket. Now tell us again, " no one needs that".

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I originally envisioned Continuum being a great asset in the developing world because it could be a true 2in1... but with the premium price, plus needed accessories, it's not very economical.

I travel for work and I can see a few scenarios where I'll use Continuum on the hotel TV, but it won't be an everyday thing.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
well it can be handy to show off my shiny new lumia, and extend the pc master race message but real use scenario? very little... I can imagine going on vacation or something and just needing my phone +k400 and the provided tv, but then again why not simply bring my laptop?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb