Do you NEED Continuum?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I was trying to think of the same thing as the OP mentioned. When will i need this? Will i ever use this? Yes i will probably use it because it looks cool, but other than that no, i don't and will not ever need it. I have a surface pro so if im on the go then i will use that. And if you say it's more convenient because i don't have to bring my surface and my phone somewhere, just the phone, then you're wrong. If i have to bring my phone, my continuum dock, my wireless mouse, and Bluetooth keyboard how is that more convenient than just bringing my tablet. I'll need all that stuff if i am just hooking my phone up to a non-touch screen monitor. Ok, maybe not mouse, because apparently i can turn my phone into a track pad, but still. I just don't see the point for 99.9% of the people out there. Still...it's badass nonetheless

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I was trying to think of the same thing as the OP mentioned. When will i need this? Will i ever use this? Yes i will probably use it because it looks cool, but other than that no, i don't and will not ever need it. I have a surface pro...

Do you get MS Office for free on your Surface Pro? What happens when your Surface Pro gets old? Do you have a data plan for your Surface Pro? Is it free?

Are you beginning to understand? Think about having your Surface Pro anywhere with LTE data. Think about airplanes. They make you buy wifi per a device.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You would be surprised. A lot of hotels in the United States have TVs now.

Lol. Did that guy say it had 3g? What year did you dig that up from?

No. Not like that. That thing doesn't have USB C nor any applications other than a browser and some media player... playing back a divx video. Who uses divx anymore?

Continuum is going to have much better connectivity. It is also going to by way more open. Any third party company will be free to create whatever laptop/tablet/desktop dock they want and have it work with any Continuum phone. Furthermore if you have Continuum you will have MS Office tossed in for free. Between having just one data plan and the free Office for your laptop/desktop Continuum is going to save people hundreds of dollars.

I don't get why people can't see the savings. Even if you already own a laptop you still need a data plan for it. You still need to buy office for it. What if you eliminate those costs? Are you beginning to understand?

Obviously this is just an example. I don't expect them to make the similar thing -__-

And as far I know, Microsoft has not given firm details on how Office is going to run . As far as I know there will be two different versions.. One for screens < 8-10 inches and one of screens lager.

So I'm pretty sure if you use your <10 inch screen and hook it up to a monitor, you will have a full fledged blown office with all features. Microsoft is not stupid. They are a business. They are in this to MAKE money, not to help people SAVE money.

No. I am not beginning to understand. I have no use for continuum in it's current state right now.

Nuno Moz

May 24, 2015
Visit site
The problem I see in this discussion is most people that are pro Continuum don't know what is already in the market that realizes their speculation about what Continuum will be in the future and confuse two things: That smartphones are reaching the processing power that can be used to replace a laptop and desktop in standard productivity tasks and what is needed to make it work.

Furthermore when presented with real Android based examples from Motorola and Asus (interesting that MS just settled an agreement with Asus for cross using copyrights) that they can buy now that actually realize what they have written about what will be Continuum in the future according to them things go a bit crazy. Stating that the advantages of Continuum is its apps, when actually the app store sustaining Continuum is the same as a Windows Phone. Weird.

Anyway, maybe this thing has not catch up with Android because it did not have the right support from Microsoft and Google. But I think the issue was mostly pricing to which consumers were not willing to pay much to have this kind of feature and always found better alternatives for the price. Something that is underlying every pro continuum post ... low price, really low price. Will see.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I plan to be using it. In fact since I don't currently have a PC or laptop, with continuum I might not need to get one. I already want the phone so in my situation it might just be exactly what I need.
At one time in my life I traveled extensively for work doing training and special events. I can think of all kinds of situations where it could have been used. If I could prepare in my hotel room on the TV, walk downstairs and tie into a multimedia projector and do a presentation all from my phone? Yeah gimme one.

mbrdev

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
But if you have a notebook, why would you tether your phone to it. This is the point i am trying to make. You will have the same apps on both devices.

You won't have the same apps on both devices unless magically every single developer ports their old Windows Phone 8.x apps to universal (Unless they already created a Windows 8.x app too.)

Many people keep saying it's not necessary, and they're all correct. But let's face it, no tech is necessary at all, it's something that was made to improve peoples lives while making a lot of money from it.

As with nearly all new tech, many people will find a use for this, including me. Not everyone will find a use for it though, it's one of those things that really depends on your situation and what you want to do.

For me, I have a touch screen AIO that I will use any time I can for development / gaming. I have a 930 that I use for "social" if WhatsApp and Skype counts, and also for reading news etc. I have a very powerful work laptop, but that's stuck on Windows 7 until my company decides to upgrade. I have a smart TV downstairs. I also have a 1 year old son that means it's very difficult for me to get on my AIO unless my wife takes him out. So, with a 950xl, while my son is sleeping upstairs I could hook up to the TV, Bluetooth mouse and keyboard that I already use for the TV sometimes, remote desktop from my phone to my AIO and then boom I'm back in business. I can already do this with my work laptop, but it would be much more convenient for me to do it on my phone as I prefer to keep my personal work away from my work laptop and remote desktop is always a pain due to the Cisco VPN and other restrictions.

In short, this feature might mean a new era for computing or it might be a niche feature that goes unnoticed by most. The important part is the fact that Windows will have it, and users will get a choice to use it or not. If it catches on the Apple will release a "magical reinvention" of it and it will be considered the new norm.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Continuum is a paradigm shift in how personal computing is achieved. It isn't for people that rely on a desktop. It is for users that are already glued to their smartphone for activities that used to be performed on the desktop that would not mind the ability to compute in desktop form every now and again. It is not for people that fire up their PC every day.

It will be a success if Microsoft knows how to market it properly. It actually adds additional value and utility to Windows Phone, whether one uses it or not. I read in another forum on WC that Google and Apple will try to rework their OS to bring some of the functionality we'll take for granted in Windows 10 on their platforms. I think that is a very good thing. The way that I see it, Google will never tailor Android to take advantage of desktop computing because they developed the Chrome OS. Chromebooks are not going to go away. You will have better Android desktops, as Acer and smaller Chinese firms have done over the last five years, but officially from Google; not at all, no need for them to do that. So this leaves iOS; I don't think we will see an immediate shift into iOS on the desktop but I think that Apple will slowly rework Mac OS X to look and feel more like what iOS would be if it were to run on a desktop. No one will take notice, but look up one day, five to ten years from now and you won't notice the difference between the two.

Microsoft needs differentiation. They're achieving it through Windows 10 and they'll achieve it through Continuum. They have to, it is not as though Windows 10 is going to make a Windows Mobile device feel like a desktop all of the sudden. PC sales are never going to reach the levels of saturation that they did pre mobile, so we'll see Continuum, and other technologies that bridge that gap over the next generation in mobile. If you can't sell more PCs, then find interesting ways to sell the technology that people are interested in. Comparison ads won't work. Polite, informative, thought provoking ads that get people excited about the technology should do the trick. The one Windows 10 ad that does exist is a nice touch; now they have to step things up with equally thought provoking ads for Windows 10 phones.

In some cases, Continuum may actually keep consumers off of other desktop ecosystems. If it works for your needs, why buy a computer at all, regardless of which OS it runs.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
The problem I see in this discussion is most people that are pro Continuum don't know what is already in the market that realizes their speculation about what Continuum will be in the future and confuse two things: That smartphones are reaching the processing power that can be used to replace a laptop and desktop in standard productivity tasks and what is needed to make it work.

Furthermore when presented with real Android based examples from Motorola and Asus (interesting that MS just settled an agreement with Asus for cross using copyrights) that they can buy now that actually realize what they have written about what will be Continuum in the future according to them things go a bit crazy. Stating that the advantages of Continuum is its apps, when actually the app store sustaining Continuum is the same as a Windows Phone. Weird.

Anyway, maybe this thing has not catch up with Android because it did not have the right support from Microsoft and Google. But I think the issue was mostly pricing to which consumers were not willing to pay much to have this kind of feature and always found better alternatives for the price. Something that is underlying every pro continuum post ... low price, really low price. Will see.

The implementation on Android is not at the level Continuum will be. A few companies are realizing the potential of Android, but those are mainly on the fringe that aren't succeeding in other areas. Asus is the exception, not the norm, and Motorolla, I'm not even sure why you're bringing that back up everyone knows what happened there. I actually have an Android desktop, 21 inch, running JellyBean, and I do everything on that desktop, and there are a few things that I want to do with it I can't, because I would have to root it and try to get a newer version of Android running on it, and this includes running Office, which this desktop would be great for.

It is not a matter of who does it first or who did it first, it is a matter of who does it well. Continuum would be the first "Apple" like situation with Microsoft where people can say, "yeah Microsoft did it better" or "I like the way that Microsoft extended the reach of the smartphone into the desktop using Continuum". The idea is not new, but there hasn't been this level of excitement for this since Ubuntu tried it a few years back.

What has been done with Android on the desktop so far is just uninspiring, and that probably is not Android, but the understanding that the companies that have tried to make an Android desktop have of that OS, so we'll see how things go and what Microsoft is actually able to pull off.

And the reason why we mention low price is because Windows Phone has proliferated, and has been evangelized, through a low price strategy. Do not mistake that as a suggestion that die hard Windows Phone fans will only buy cheap devices, or that they will only try Continuum on devices that fit within their budget. We're just stating the obvious, that Continuum will take off in a major way once it is available on cheap devices, seeing that those are the majority of Windows Phone sales, and the majority of devices running Windows out in the wild. No different from Apple or Android; the more expensive devices run the latest OS, and the older devices are not able to be upgraded to the latest OS, and therefore the cutting edge technologies are not avialable to most, unless they're willing to upgrade. So Continuum MIGHT be available on 5% of the Windows 10 devices once Windows 10 makes it to phones. It could take a few years for it to trickle down to everyone else, and obviously many will simply need to upgrade.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Stating that the advantages of Continuum is its apps, when actually the app store sustaining Continuum is the same as a Windows Phone. Weird.

Please post the link to scaling MS Office in the Windows Phone app store. I can't seem to find those apps.

Most of what people do on desktops and laptops is surf the web, read PDFs, and work with Office files. Nothing on the market has that scaled user experience. Also what you are ignoring is this initiative is coming from the OS developer it is not a fragmented third party bolt on feature layered on top of the OS. You guys may not like the Continuum experience for whatever reason but at least stop posting false statements about it.

alex Anderson6

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
This technology isn't just about phones. It could just as easily be a PC on a stick. We've seen Android devices with this, but that isn't Windows. Android apps don't scale properly for a notebook or desktop experience. Android apps aren't designed for a touchpad or mouse. A Windows smartphone is expensive because it's a complete device. How about a $100-$200 computer on a stick that you can plug into a notebook shell, a drawing tablet, or a workstation at a university lab?

The world of education is all about low cost computers. Chromebooks have been a smash hit in this arena because of the cost savings and functionality benefits vs. tablets. Microsoft could take that a step farther with modular hardware. Let schools buy notebook shells once and then run them with inserted self-contained Windows computers. Costs are lower, because you can upgrade the computer without replacing the shell. Or vice versa. This makes repairs cheaper as well.

When it comes to software, these devices will already have the same library as Chromebooks (which I'm typing on now, btw). But with the iPad Pro and Pixel C, Apple and Google are now giving developers additional reasons to start focusing on touch-enabled productivity software. If Apple succeeds in creating a new software revolution for this, Microsoft will benefit. They have a successful Surface line and a large number of other touch screen Windows devices already on the market, and this will give developers reason to target their platform if they start trying to make touch-enabled productivity software a focus. While this may not directly sell Windows mobile devices, it will likely add to the software available for the platform and make it more attractive.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know there will be two different versions.. One for screens < 8-10 inches and one of screens lager.

So I'm pretty sure if you use your <10 inch screen and hook it up to a monitor, you will have a full fledged blown office with all features. Microsoft is not stupid. They are a business. They are in this to MAKE money, not to help people SAVE money.

No. I am not beginning to understand. I have no use for continuum in it's current state right now.

I am not sure what you are saying. What the CEO of MSFT said on tape is when you hook your phone up to a regular computer monitor or TV screen you will have FULL WORD AND EXCEL. Seems pretty straight forward. What is it people don't understand?

adamjoshuhill

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
The issue is where there hell am I gonna find a monitor everywhere I go? Continuum only works IF you have a monitor (not only one that is actually present but also able to be plugged into a power source) keyboard and mouse.

Why it doesn't work is that you cannot guarantee that you'll be able to have all these peripheral available everywhere you go. You mentioned it possible to have this setup at work - I will pay that to some extent but Office mobile is woeful and that's also only if you use Office. Photoshop? AutoCAD? 3dsMax? Illustrator? Forget it, won't run on your phones.

Hotels? Yeah maybe but now you'll probably have to supply your own cables as well, (phone, dock, cables, keyboard and mouse as they won't supply those) Your bag is starting to fill up.

I feel that Continuum answers a question nobody asked and to be honest answered decades ago - Laptops. They work, and they work well. and laptop guarantees and screen, keyboard, touchpad and most importantly a battery, so no need to be plugged into anything for power. And in todays engineering marvels, laptops are now ridiculously thin and light (copyright Apple) ain't so hard lugging it around.

Cafe's and restaurants? No way. I know I'll get some grief for this but if you ever go to Starbucks you'll probably be undated with a sea of MacBook. Some are just for show but some are actually getting stuff done on them, and the best part for the Cafe's are they don't have to do anything. The person with the MacBooks comes in to fairly empty table, place MacBook on table, starts work. When finished, closes Macbook, leaves tables fairly empty again as he found it.

Contrasting this with a Continuum scenario:
Comes in and sits at table. Now as a Cafe I'm fairly certain there won't be any monitors at the table - it'll ruin the mood. So he what? Walks up to the front counter and asks

"Do you have any spare monitors and keyboard and mice? I need to get some work done"

At this point the person behind the counter laughs at him (who asks that sort of question in the Cafe? Nerd) or in the Microsoft daydreams,

"Yeah we have all that stuff in the back spare room. Funnily we thought about filling that spare room with extra food or turning it into a small chill room for the staff but then decided it's much better to fill it with monitors and keyboards and mice! Staff love it"

They then go to the back room rummaging until they find all the gear and then awkward carry it all back to the Continuum guest, apologising as they smack the heads of the other customers with the corners of the gear.

"Umm sorry sir you can't sit here as theres no place to plug the monitor into, you'll have to find a booth seat"

"But there are no empty spots? They are all filled?"

"So it seems..."

Awkward silence

I can see happening in a lot of places, you'll be forever asking "Do you have...?"
Someone with a laptop doesn't need to ask

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The mistake many people make is that they look at lifestyles NOW and see if Continuum fits into it.

Continuum is not meant to fit into your current lifestyle. It is a game changer.

If it's embraced, it will completely change the way many people do things a few years from now. It's biggest obstacle right now is people's inability to expand their views past how things currently are.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
You mentioned it possible to have this setup at work - I will pay that to some extent but Office mobile is woeful and that's also only if you use Office.

How many times does it have to be said? On a regular monitor or TV you get FULL MS OFFICE! What is so hard to understand about that? The CEO of Microsoft said it on video tape and posted it on the web. What do you want him to do, personally come to your house and write it on the wall in his blood?

I won't even bother to address the rest of your post. AutoCAD?! Really. We should do a poll and see how many forum members have ever used a niche piece of engineering and architectural software. I remember back in the heyday of desktops, the 90s, most desktops couldn't even run AutoCAD, but now if a computer that fits in your pocket can't run it it's worthless?! WTF?! Guys lets just come down and discuss something less controversial and hyperbolic... like religion.

adamjoshuhill

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Continuum requires a 2 way exchange where both parties have to put capital in it for it to work, you for your phone/dock but business will have to buy everything else and thats just to compensate for the smaller % of those on W10M and even smaller % of that of those with phones that have Continuum. If you were to check the phones of the people you see most days how many do you think would even fit in that slice? Business won't spend money on such a small base especially since there's no Android/iOS support.

Last edited:

adamjoshuhill

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
You might not wanna address it but someone has too. It has to make sense and be beneficially to both parties. Everywhere I go I can't imagine business spending cash for monitors and peripherals. They don't have too. If a customer wants to do work bring their laptop as always, easy bump in and bump out. Business don't have to spend/do anything. WIN-WIN!

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Continuum requires a 2 way exchange where both parties have to put capital in it for it to work, you for your phone/dock but business will have to buy everything else and thats just to compensate for the smaller % of those on W10M and even smaller % of that of those with phones that have Continuum.

What are you talking about? Every hotel room I've ever stayed in in the US has a TV. And nowadays most of them have hdmi. They don't even need to know I am using Continuum let alone provide any new hardware or services to make it work. And I don't know why you keep going on and on about a dock and wires. You do realize you don't need a dock to use Continuum nor do you need any wires. They have bluetooth keyboards and mice and there is this new invention called miracast. For people who post so often and so passionately about a topic you sure don't do any research on it.

Look I get it for whatever reason you don't like Continuum, so you will say anything negative about it whether it is true or false. I don't understand why something you haven't even bothered to read about upsets you so much but you really should let it go.

You might not wanna address it but someone has too.

Nobody has to address the false statements you are posting. Just go and educate yourself on what Continuum really is and if you still don't understand come back and ask intelligent questions. Quit going on about docks and wires and AutoCAD. This is a WIRELESS PHONE forum.

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking that this Continuum technology by Microsoft might actually lead to something more impressive in the future. Just imagine when later our phone could project a visual to the wall (or even on the air, just like holograms). We do not need external monitors no more. It makes it more accessible than having the need to find TV screens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)