Do you NEED Continuum?

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Actually as a student and having only 1 PC(we fight over it quite often) at home and 3 TVs which are not used as often as PC, I could use continumm for studies while other my family members could easily use PC and other TVs. One day I will definately buy Windows 10 phone with continumm. I think it's very nice nich? to have.

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I think Continuum on the 950 and 950XL will do more harm than good, at least in the short term.. Unless the dock has an X86 processor built in or there is some kind of emulation (very unlikely) it is basically Windows RT: it looks like Windows, but has no access to legacy apps. I understand the appeal of the Universal app across all platforms, but real "programs" are the bread and butter of PC. When Microsoft releases an X86-based phone that can support legacy software, that is where Continuum will hit its stride. I'm not downing Microsoft at all about Continuum other than it seems once again they are jeopardizing a great concept with a shortsighted product launch.

PeteBeast

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
This feature will be amazing for working abroad and low-end devices in developing countries.

Say you have a business trip and need to get work done on Word or Excel. Take your phone and a wireless keyboard and that is it. Nothing else. Connect it wirelessly to a monitor or through a cable and start working.

For developing countries you can have mid range and low end devices in schools which students can use at home instead of laptops and get work done these as well.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I think Continuum on the 950 and 950XL will do more harm than good, at least in the short term.. Unless the dock has an X86 processor built in or there is some kind of emulation (very unlikely) it is basically Windows RT: it looks like Windows, but has no access to legacy apps. I understand the appeal of the Universal app across all platforms, but real "programs" are the bread and butter of PC.

No. The problem with Windows RT was you had to buy a tablet. RT was a tablet operating system. And tablet sales have fallen. Even apple has seen issues with ipad sales. RT required that you go out and spend $200+ on a new tablet and $10 a month for two years best case scenario. And of course after spending all that money you still had to deal with the app gap.

real "programs" are the bread and butter of PC.

Yeah but the "real programs" people use most are a browser, some type of PDF reader and MS Office. I do use photoshop and video editing software but most people don't. RT had a problem because it was tablet based. People use apps more on a tablet because it is easier than dealing with mobile websites. I don't use apps on my desktop.

Microsoft is creating a whole new category of computer. It may succeed or it may not.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think Continuum on the 950 and 950XL will do more harm than good, at least in the short term.. Unless the dock has an X86 processor built in or there is some kind of emulation (very unlikely) it is basically Windows RT: it looks like Windows, but has no access to legacy apps. I understand the appeal of the Universal app across all platforms, but real "programs" are the bread and butter of PC. When Microsoft releases an X86-based phone that can support legacy software, that is where Continuum will hit its stride. I'm not downing Microsoft at all about Continuum other than it seems once again they are jeopardizing a great concept with a shortsighted product launch.
I agree to a point. I dont necessarily believe it will do any harm, but we won't see most of the "good" until a phone with an x86 processor is released.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Hotels? Yeah maybe but now you'll probably have to supply your own cables as well, (phone, dock, cables, keyboard and mouse as they won't supply those) Your bag is starting to fill up.

The dock is tiny and charges your phone. So you don't need a separate charger. In the end if you go with the dock you are talking Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and one HDMI cable...

Better bring a weight belt as well... for that extra HDMI cable.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I think Continuum on the 950 and 950XL will do more harm than good, at least in the short term.. Unless the dock has an X86 processor built in or there is some kind of emulation (very unlikely) it is basically Windows RT: it looks like Windows, but has no access to legacy apps. I understand the appeal of the Universal app across all platforms, but real "programs" are the bread and butter of PC.
True. Continuum is a nice technical feature and (again) allows to show what is technically possible. But I am pretty sure it is not essential for the majority of users. I even think you're better off with a Surface RT if you compare it to Continuum.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
My issue with Continuum is that I don't know what problem it solves. I like it and I support the idea, but I think I like it for the same reason Microsoft is making it - because it's cool. I keep hearing how Continuum is for emerging markets. Okay, then why is it touted as a premier feature of a $800 phone? Before I can truly believe in Continuum I have to see it featured on low-end handsets. The people that can afford a 950 XL (and monthly service) can likely buy a desktop, tablet or laptop. But if Microsoft could turn a $40 Lumia 635 into a full fledged productivity device then Continuum might be the next big thing.

I have been shouting this all over the place... now one was agreeing with me! why do they agree with you now :p

hehe.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I bet continuum will be amazing in emerging markets like Africa and SE Asia where everyone has a mobile phone, but can't always afford a laptop or computer. If an NGO is going to bring technology to a school in rural africa, wouldn't it make more sense to just get the teachers 5 montors or projectors for the cost of 1 laptop, if they already happen to have WM10 phones anyway? It's a potentially unique way of ensuring access and bringing education and technology to people at a lower cost.

don't think of it economically, it will never make sense.

do you even calculate?

So 5 monitors + lets say 5 mobiles phones + some extra mousses and keyboards = $3500 dollars.

you can get 7, $500 laptops, that can do waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more for these people. :S

Sick Freak

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
What about business where the networks aren't accessible unless your computer is a part of their domain.

Some businesses, won't even allow you to connect to a WIFI if you aren't part of their corporate domain.

How will this work for the phones? Will the phones be able to join a domain?

Is there an ethernet port on the continuum dock?

Now.. It seems just useless...

Was this ever answered? (I didn't see one.) If they want Continuum to work in the business environment, Active Directory domain support would be a HUGE help.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Continuum requires a 2 way exchange where both parties have to put capital in it for it to work, you for your phone/dock but business will have to buy everything else and thats just to compensate for the smaller % of those on W10M and even smaller % of that of those with phones that have Continuum. If you were to check the phones of the people you see most days how many do you think would even fit in that slice? Business won't spend money on such a small base especially since there's no Android/iOS support.
We are a business. Guess what, we have accumulated plenty of spare keyboards and mice. In our conference and training rooms are large HDTV's which just happen to have unused HDMI inputs.

A couple hundred bucks for some docks and we are ready. Yeah, I think I can work that into our technology budget.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
We are a business. Guess what, we have accumulated plenty of spare keyboards and mice. In our conference and training rooms are large HDTV's which just happen to have unused HDMI inputs.

A couple hundred bucks for some docks and we are ready. Yeah, I think I can work that into our technology budget.

Well not completely ready. You bought everything except for the phone. :grin:

Nuno Moz

May 24, 2015
Visit site

I wonder what is the setup where people actually do some work done! I guess you have several thousands dollars of spare keyboards, mice's and monitors for this to be cost effective.

If not ... I guess your colleagues will really enjoy that place to actually be able to use Conitnuum on their brand new high end gadgets... unless they actually bring their laptops to avoid fighting fighting over those keyboards and monitors to get the job done ... properly. Or will you have an HDTV for each one of the attendants? Anyway, expect MS to launch soon after earing what their customer want and offer you a shell with keyboard and screen for say $400? Then you realize that you have spend $1100 (phone plus shell) or more for each of them to enjoy a lovely PC like experience. And then ... you are fired!

You have a brilliant business mind.

PS: You see, it will create more problems for you to solve and that will mean you will need to spend more money, preferably to MS. Problems that you don't have or already have a excellent solution that you decided to ignore. Do yourself a favor. Give each one of your colleagues a Surface 3 and a medium range Lumia if you must. They will be much happier, be more productive, it will last longer, it will come out cheaper to you right there since you will be also upgrading their workspace. By the way, give those extra keyboards and mices to charity. You will feel better.

Last edited:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
You have a brilliant business mind.
Yes I do.
$200 for two docks, plus a couple of USB keyboards and mice which were leftover in the spares pile from the last desktop upgrades, then anyone with a Continuum device can be productive in those two locations where there is already a TV with HDMI input. Total expenditure: $200.

The people I'm talking about already have a desktop computer. To accomplish the same thing without the Continuum phone, they would have to buy a laptop, or lug that desktop into the conference room. Not going to happen.

If you're spending $400 or $1100 extra to make it work, you're doing it wrong.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Was this ever answered? (I didn't see one.) If they want Continuum to work in the business environment, Active Directory domain support would be a HUGE help.
I'm still waiting on an answer myself! lol

It's a serious question for businesses that no one here seems to be addressing.

Hisham mubarak

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes... I don't have to carry my laptop to college for power point presentations.... Now just my phone and a dock is enough... I am sure I will get a spare keyboard and mouse from my college..

Nuno Moz

May 24, 2015
Visit site
$200 for two docks, plus a coupleof USB keyboards and mice which were leftover in the spares pile from the last desktop upgrades, then anyone with a Continuum device can be productive in those two locations where there is already a TV with HDMI input. Total expenditure: $200.

Who in you company has Continuum on their phones? Who is going to provide Continuum on their phones? Total expendure $200? No total expendure includes the price of the phone. All I'm saying is that if you take the price of the phone a Surface 3 ($500 with Keyboard, yes you can get that deal) + An average Windows Phone (Say a Lumia 640, $150) is practically the same price ($650). Now you may argue that your colleagues need the best camera in smartphone market to be more productive. I will not argue against that.

Also you may argue that in the company its easier to justify a $600 smartphone with such limitations but hey its cool, then a much more productive and flexible solution of $650 (laptop + smartphone), that allows you to eventually get rid of some desktops, as far as I understood with ("Not going to happen').

Are you serious. Sorry, maybe I'm missing something but I just don't get it. Sorry to be pushy but this is an interesting exercise for me since if you convince me with good arguments I might jump on board to.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Well nobody in our company has Continuum on their phone. They aren't yet available.

I will be getting a 950XL the first day I can get my hands on one. Other people in the company may or may not. I'm the IT department and tech evangelist around here, they are free to take my advice. As always, when someone asks me what phone they should buy, I tell them to go with what has the apps and services they are wanting. Now I can add "oh by the way, if you get one of *these* you can do *this*"

The 950 series is a good phone regardless of whether it has that one feature. The fact that it does means that any other employee who buys one can connect to those TVs I enable with a dock. As far as the company is concerned, it *is* a total expenditure of $100 per TV. We already had everything else anyway, and the employees buy their own phones. (now if it gets to the point that someone is doing a considerable amount of company work on their personal device, that could change)

In the future, the technology will trickle down to the less expensive phones. Eventually it will be like stereo in a TV. Something that was an expensive new feature at first, now you can hardly buy one without it and it's never listed on the box. Eventually you'll see a phone the price of the 640 that has Continuum built in. At that point it's a no-brainer. New technology is always expensive.

The point is, if someone in my company already has made the investment in a phone that can do Continuum, it is a trivial thing for me to provide them the capability where we already have a TV hanging on the wall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre