Steam using Continuum?

anon(5530345)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Wondering since some Surface tablets can run games on Steam, if Valve will create a universal version so I can play some of the lighter-weight games over windows mobile continuum.

I'm planning on going from a 930 to a 950 when it comes out. Being able to run Steam games would be a definite killer app on this platform.

TF2 on the Lumia 950 second screen anyone? :amaze:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well that would be awesome but as it stands now, most Steam games are written for the x86/x64 platform and I don't see Steam even supporting Windows Phone/Mobile with a Steam client app. Until that happens you would be better off buying a Windows tablet.

gadgetebz

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
What about via the REMOTE DESKTOP app have seen even Android Phones running Steam and Mirroring to a TV so should work for Continiuum in my view..

Black3ternity

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Regarding that steam "dilemma":
It would be nice for Steam to come up with a universal client for Windows 10 / Windows 10 Mobile.
Because then I could use my phone as a Streaming-platform (Steam streaming) from my beefy Desktop PC. Way better than requiring my Xbox 360 or even my mediacenter-PC to waste energy just to provide the streaming across network to play games on my couch and big TV.

Regards,

rageext

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Potentially the suggestion Black3ternity has would increase the sales of Microsoft Phones among serious games.
I have ordered a Lumia 950 XL with a docking in the hope of finding a solution to this.
Hopefully it is not that far away. An Idea that I have is to install Steam on a Micro SD card while on the computer and then instert it to the phone.
Since I don't know if it is possible due to the file system on the phone does it run a dos, fat, fat32, NTFS or some other format?

Rune Christiansen

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
An Idea that I have is to install Steam on a Micro SD card while on the computer and then instert it to the phone.
Since I don't know if it is possible due to the file system on the phone does it run a dos, fat, fat32, NTFS or some other format?

You wouldn't be able to run Steam or any games this way because Steam needs an X86 architecture, and the phone uses the Arm architecture.

What you CAN do, is installing Splashtop remote desktop software. It works well with games, but it depends very much on the quality of your network. An nVidia graphics card is also recommended as some extra streaming features can be used with them in Splashtop.

rageext

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
You wouldn't be able to run Steam or any games this way because Steam needs an X86 architecture, and the phone uses the Arm architecture.

What you CAN do, is installing Splashtop remote desktop software. It works well with games, but it depends very much on the quality of your network. An nVidia graphics card is also recommended as some extra streaming features can be used with them in Splashtop.

Thanks for the tips!
I do have a GTX 970 and Gbit network at home and 5GHz wifi bandwidth.
Should be enough right? ;D

Brent Farris

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
After the tools from //Build 2016 are fully released, it is completely possible to convert any win32 (x86) application to UWP, that means that any desktop application would eventually be able to run on Windows 10 running on mobile :). So it is very possible especially with mouse and keyboard support. This also includes desktop applications like Steam and Photoshop as well as any games you would find on Steam. Check this out to learn about it - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/P504

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss