Will PROJECT CENTENNIAL be a sure win for Continuum?

Squeegies

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I just think that if classic windows desktop apps (win32, .NET, COM) can be submitted to Windows Store through this bridge, it could be a sure win win for the continuum feature.

Windows phones can truly be a PC.

all we have to wait is developer support.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What's this Project Centennial? I haven't heard of it.

Well unless the phone has an x86 processor which they'd onto yet, most of those aren't gonna fly. Its like Windows RT, and those'll be somewhat awkward, especially on tablet.

well, recompiling is a thing, but not many will probably take advantage of it.

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
They had a video up on Channel9 in April: Project Centenniel

From the description:
Enabling existing Classic Windows applications (Win32, .NET, COM) to be part of the Store ecosystem is a key part of Windows 10. This session will cover in detail the technologies that will enable you to convert your app to a Windows APPX package, enabling it to be distributed by the Store and to take advantage of the Universal Windows Platform.

As far as I understand it, it only talks about distributing your Win32 app via the store platform. (Haven't watched the video.)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Continuum is about software's ability to adapt to different screen sizes. Project C (Project Centennial) has nothing to do with that. Project C is basically a set of standards, distribution infrastructure and installer conversion tools allowing developers to distribute Windows desktop software through the Windows store. The main goal is to allow users to install and clean-uninstall Windows desktop software as easily and confidently as they do apps.

Project C also doesn't make x86 based desktop software run on ARM based phones or tablets, nor does it magically add Continuum-like adaptable UIs to existing desktop software.

Last edited:

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
The store should remain strictly WinRT only for consistency between platforms.
Most people do not need full application suites, and would actually prefer WinRT versions. Especially with the push of the touchscreen for modern computing.

They can have another hub/platform for the enterprise/prosumers. I am sure most power users would prefer a repository.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Continuum is about software's ability to adapt to different screen sizes. Project C (Project Centennial) has nothing to do with that. Project C is basically a set of standards, distribution infrastructure and installer conversion tools allowing developers to distribute Windows desktop software through the Windows store. The main goal is to allow users to install and clean-uninstall Windows desktop software as easily and confidently as they do apps.

I wonder if that would allow Steam and Steam games to be installed on an Xbox One?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05