Continuum...."Game Changer"...but not in the way you think.

Ahmed Blair

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I really love this feature and I'm picking up a 950 when they're finally released because of it. Unfortunately, the way telecoms have structured (obstructed) mobile internet in the US, I fear that Continuum will not be allowed to come to market as is.

Think about it. These things are PCs...unrestricted media consumption on whatever net you put them on because they don't adhere to the current tethering limitations. That's a MASSIVE change and I'm sure one that telecoms are well aware of and, most likely, THE reason we haven't seen any carrier announcements. Grandfathered unlimited on Verizon or Att, hook this thing up to your TV via the dock, suddenly you've got a Netflix streaming box that doesn't count against your Comcast data cap and isn't restricted by a tethering clause... Wut????

If you were a telecom, would you want this on your network?

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not a full PC experience. It's a PC-like experience---from what I understand.
And with your argument---what makes Continuum any different from the Surface LTE then? What's stopping you from swapping your SIM into a Surface (or any other tablet) and hooking that up to a TV/Monitor and using that as a "Netflix streaming box".

Ahmed Blair

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Those aren't simple solutions. This technology is bringing this sort of capability to the masses in a form factor they'd carry with them at all times. That's the difference

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I really love this feature and I'm picking up a 950 when they're finally released because of it. Unfortunately, the way telecoms have structured (obstructed) mobile internet in the US, I fear that Continuum will not be allowed to come to market as is.

Think about it. These things are PCs...unrestricted media consumption on whatever net you put them on because they don't adhere to the current tethering limitations. That's a MASSIVE change and I'm sure one that telecoms are well aware of and, most likely, THE reason we haven't seen any carrier announcements. Grandfathered unlimited on Verizon or Att, hook this thing up to your TV via the dock, suddenly you've got a Netflix streaming box that doesn't count against your Comcast data cap and isn't restricted by a tethering clause... Wut????

If you were a telecom, would you want this on your network?

People have been able to bypass tethering restrictions for a while with grandfathered phones... Not really sure what you're getting at?

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
People have been able to bypass tethering restrictions for a while with grandfathered phones... Not really sure what you're getting at?
I don't know how it is in the States... but all of my windows phone have made it easy to tether without suffering any additional fees from my carrier here in Canada.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
That's a MASSIVE change and I'm sure one that telecoms are well aware of and, most likely, THE reason we haven't seen any carrier announcements. Grandfathered unlimited on Verizon or Att, hook this thing up to your TV via the dock, suddenly you've got a Netflix streaming box that doesn't count against your Comcast data cap and isn't restricted by a tethering clause... Wut????

I started a thread about it. Yesterday Verizon raised the price of its unlimited plans by $20. It has begun.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I still think that Continuum won't work for the average consumer until they can just drop the phone in a dock(not wireless charging). If they have to use a plug, that's going to limit the market for this thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6