Windows 10 Continuum Dilemma

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Alright guys let's shut this thread down right now.

Cost of a USB computer...

Intel Stick Computer with 1 GB of ram $100
Cost of a copy of windows 10 $119
Cost of MS Office with Outlook $230
Data plan $30+/month

So for your first year a USB computer costs $809 and you still have the recurring cost of the data plan forever. And even with all that you are working with a measly 1 GB of ram and lord knows what over deficiencies.

Now tell me... how is $100 a worse deal?

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
To have your phone files on your PC stick, just get a usb cable, or use a Wifi access for your files. It's got holes for USB you know? :)

Of course, it's got a full Onedrive integration if you want to go that route too

You could also stick your micro sd card into the stick PC if you want.

Choose one.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

MicroSD cards and USB external storage is great, but throughout the day I do things and add/receive files... all through my phone.

So yeah, I could remove my SD card and put it in the stick, plug into my PC download files to an external HD and plug it into the stick or connect to WiFi and wait for my files to upload to OneDrive then wait for them to load onto the stick.

...or...

I could Miracast into my TV. Done. I could connect to the dock. Done.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Alright guys let's shut this thread down right now.

Cost of a USB computer...

Intel Stick Computer with 1 GB of ram $100
Cost of a copy of windows 10 $119
Cost of MS Office with Outlook $230
Data plan $30+/month

So for your first year a USB computer costs $809 and you still have the recurring cost of the data plan forever. And even with all that you are working with a measly 1 GB of ram and lord knows what over deficiencies.

Now tell me... how is $100 a worse deal?

No need to buy Windows since the price of the stick PC includes a pre installed copy of Windows.

I mentioned tethering because my carrier (Rogers, Canada) does not charge any money for the tethering or the hot spot, as long as it is within the data I have for the month. So the data cost is not necessary for everyone. Besides, you would already have a Wifi router at home for your phone, tablets, or PC.

So it really comes down to this,

If you own a copy of Office, better to get a stick PC for your visual peripherals.

If not, the visual dock could make sense for you.

Which goes back to my original post that it only makes sense for the free Office program.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Those things aren't really comparable. They're running third-generation Intel stuff on the low-low-end, while Intel's now on its sixth generation. You're talking the bottom of the Intel barrel stuff from 2012/2013. Basically, though those things might run full Windows, their hardware limitations will be such that they won't necessarily run software a phone can't as well.

The other side is big on convenience. Do I want to have a setup where I plug my phone in and go to it, or do I want to have the ComputeStick (or comparable alternative), where I have to boot it, then load software? Do I want to have to cut across two devices, or have my phone doing it all?

If this were solely about cost, I'd say fire up the MiraCast.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I tried so many times to see how does continuum actually help me be more productive while being mobile, so i tried to simulate the experience in my head, and i couldn't really see it, if there is someone here who can help see this please do.

up until now, this is the only way i see my self using it:

Locations where i can actually hook my mobile (assuming I'm carrying the doc all the time).

1- Home TV. and most probably i will have to buy a new keyboard and mouse.
2- Home office - where if i do not have a set up already, i will need to buy a screen, keyboard, and mouse.
3- Clients HDMI Projector - where most probably there will be no mouse and keyboard laying around, and i wont be carrying those for sure.
4- Airport - not possible
5- anywhere with no TV/ screen - not possible

then i came to the conclusion, if this is for "countries that mobile might be their only device". why the HELL would he invest in a $550 smartphone, and a $100 dock? not to mention the new screen, keyboard and mouse. :S :S

for $650, he could buy a very good laptop - Surface pro 3/ Surface 3 where he can really work like a boss.

seriously i thought this was an amazing feature, but now when i really want to buy it and use it.... i see no practical use for it...

if anyone thinks i am being unreasnable, shout out a reply. maybe i can get my head around this.

Microsoft are living in their own la la land....

Last edited:

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I tried so many times to see how does continuum actually help me be more productive while being mobile, so i tried to simulate the experience in my head, and i couldn't really see it, if there is someone here who can help see this please do.

up until now, this is the only way i see my self using it:

Locations where i can actually hook my mobile (assuming I'm carrying the doc all the time).

1- Home TV. and most probably i will have to buy a new keyboard and mouse.
2- Home office - where if i do not have a set up already, i will need to buy a screen, keyboard, and mouse.
3- Clients HDMI Projector - where most probably there will be no mouse and keyboard laying around, and i wont be carrying those for sure.
4- Airport - not possible
5- anywhere with no TV/ screen - not possible

then i came to the conclusion, if this is for "countries that mobile might be their only device". why the HELL would he invest in a $550 smartphone, and a $100 dock? not to mention the new screen, keyboard and mouse. :S :S

for $650, he could buy a very good laptop - Surface pro 3/ Surface 3 where he can really work like a boss.

seriously i thought this was an amazing feature, but now when i really want to buy it and use it.... i see no practical use for it...

if anyone things i am being insane, shout out a reply. maybe i can get my head around this.

Microsoft are living in their own la la land....
I think you make a very valid point and really, addressing the thread, the point is that everyone has their own needs and wants. If continuum fits their lives, great. If it doesn't, great. If people want to go to the trouble of making their lives fit continuum, and vice versa, great. Bottom line everyone had a choice and an opinion and it is their own money. No one can tell anyone else how to spend their money. It's up to MSFT to be convincing. If they are our are not being convincing, great.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I think you make a very valid point and really, addressing the thread, the point is that everyone has their own needs and wants. If continuum fits their lives, great. If it doesn't, great. If people want to go to the trouble of making their lives fit continuum, and vice versa, great. Bottom line everyone had a choice and an opinion and it is their own money. No one can tell anyone else how to spend their money. It's up to MSFT to be convincing. If they are our are not being convincing, great.

Exactly, i think you are absolutely correct, Microsoft are not being convincing, and the examples the show for this feature is not the typical scenario that people would encounter.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Those things aren't really comparable. They're running third-generation Intel stuff on the low-low-end, while Intel's now on its sixth generation. You're talking the bottom of the Intel barrel stuff from 2012/2013. Basically, though those things might run full Windows, their hardware limitations will be such that they won't necessarily run software a phone can't as well.

The other side is big on convenience. Do I want to have a setup where I plug my phone in and go to it, or do I want to have the ComputeStick (or comparable alternative), where I have to boot it, then load software? Do I want to have to cut across two devices, or have my phone doing it all?

If this were solely about cost, I'd say fire up the MiraCast.

They actually have a fourth gen Baytrail Atoms inside.

I do know Baytrail is not the newest, but the improvement from the third gen ivy bridge atom is big enough that the Baytrail processors can still be used.

Although they are nothing powerful, I could think of a few occasions where having a full Windows option could be beneficial
-If you ever have to run a third party Web browser (for compatibility reasons)
- Existing full Windows drivers for printers, scanners, etc.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I do like the idea of Continuum, but not at $100 dock + the cost of another keyboard and mouse. The bigger issue is the portability issue of the keyboard, mouse, and the optional dock + cables.
It remains to be seen how smooth it works with the wireless connection.

If they can make the wireless connection smooth, AND eliminate the need for the additional keyboard and mouse needed, I can see it being useful. But even Miracast is only available on select TVs, so you might not even have the option of having having wireless connection.

A huge improvement would be using the phone to power up the big screen, WHILE using the phone as a bluetooth keyboard/touchpad mouse. But making Miracast work at the same time could be a challenge.

I already use my BlackBerry Q10, as a keyboard for my Windows tablet, so I know the phone can be the bluetooth keyboard/mouse for Windows.

Attachments

• IMG_20150925_084433.jpg
    IMG_20150925_084433.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20150925_084437.jpg
    IMG_20150925_084437.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 8

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The dock is going to be even more expensive in canada plus the HST. I think it's sucks that it's not included. If this is a feature they show off during devices and then say "can't use it unless you have dock or miracast dongle purchased separately".

"hey check out this awesome camera this phone has... except you have to buy it separately for 250$"

The other thing that I don't like is the dock itself doesn't have miracast built in. So if you get the dock you can't plug the dock into your tv and then miracast to the dock. You need to have a physical cable connected to the dock. So that means if you want to do something simple like just watch movies you still need to have the phone connected via cable or get a separate miracast dongle. It's like MS is going the way of apple. "check out this awesome pencil for ipad pro...our whole presentation is focused on this use of the pencil with this new product.... oh it's going to be 99$".

Oh well.

Yah this really turns me off.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I do like the idea of Continuum, but not at $100 dock + the cost of another keyboard and mouse. The bigger issue is the portability issue of the keyboard, mouse, and the optional dock + cables.
It remains to be seen how smooth it works with the wireless connection.

If they can make the wireless connection smooth, AND eliminate the need for the additional keyboard and mouse needed, I can see it being useful. But even Miracast is only available on select TVs, so you might not even have the option of having having wireless connection.

A huge improvement would be using the phone to power up the big screen, WHILE using the phone as a bluetooth keyboard/touchpad mouse. But making Miracast work at the same time could be a challenge.

I already use my BlackBerry Q10, as a keyboard for my Windows tablet, so I know the phone can be the bluetooth keyboard/mouse for Windows.

I think people keep misunderstanding the point of this dock. It's not so you can roam around with a mouse and keyboard and use a random TV in a hotel or something. If it's used in that manner, it's more for people in enterprise situations, and they'd carry such stuff in a travel bag or suitcase when going away on business. I mean, with the logic that you have to carry that stuff with you comes either the logic you have to carry a monitor or you expect your location to just have a TV/monitor hanging out.

Instead, I think of my possible application at work. I actually have 2 monitors, but don't even bother using one (it's not even plugged in). I could get this, and when I get to work, hook up my phone to the second monitor. I think of folks who would want to plug into a display at a destination and not have to carry a laptop to that place all the time. This is supposed to be for habitual scenarios, not randomly popping your Continuum setup out in a coffee shop.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

Kind of hard to stick a Surface pro 3 in your pocket and make phone calls on it in a bus.

I think it's sucks that it's not included.

So in a thread telling us how useless it is you say MSFT should spend the money and give it to all of us free? And the OP thanks you?!

Guys either this device is useless for you in which case just move on, or it is worth $100. $100 is worth it if you are actually going to use it as intended. If you aren't and it's just a curiosity I see no need for MSFT to spend millions just to amuse you.

Besides MSFT's presentation was woefully inadequate. We have no idea about the full capabilities nor distribution of the dock. We have news reports from the web that some retailers are bundling the dock. So just chill and let other people do MSFT's job for them and tell us what the real deal is as far as how this thing is going to be distributed.

free.png

No need to buy Windows since the price of the stick PC includes a pre installed copy of Windows.

You will have to pardon my ignorance because all I saw for $99 on a major US online retailer was an Intel stick with Linux. No one I know uses this stick PCs. Provide us a link with legit pricing so we can learn.

I mentioned tethering because my carrier (Rogers, Canada) does not charge any money for the tethering or the hot spot, as long as it is within the data I have for the month.

You have an unlimited data plan with Rogers with no tethering restrictions? Must be nice. Unfortunately the majority of us don't live in Canada so that isn't applicable to us. Surely you must realize that? I don't have a problem if Continuum doesn't work for you but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for the rest of us.

The fact of the matter is you asked a question. You have been given an answer and you simply are not willing to accept it.

Besides, you would already have a Wifi router at home for your phone, tablets, or PC.

Wait I thought we were all supposed to magically use Roger's unlimited data plan with free tethering? Now instead of us moving to Canada we are supposed to carry our house on our backs everywhere we go so we have wifi? I have a better idea... spend $100!

If you own a copy of Office, better to get a stick PC for your visual peripherals.

I own a copy of office on my desktop. I am not going to move that key code to a stick PC. Sorry. That's an awful plan. And I am not moving to Canada or walking around with my house on my back just to have wifi everywhere.

You don't like Continuum. We get it. That's your right. Why do you want to dictate to the rest of us we can't use it?

And just to reiterate in third world countries there are often large swaths of countryside where cellular is the only high speed internet available.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Citizen X. I didn't say it was useless. I simply don't like that it doesn't have the miracast option as well. Many who were at the event have said this on reddit. And honestly Canadians do get the bad end of the stick so this additional accessory hits the wallet hard. The 950xl is going to cost me $960 with taxes. Now the price in Canada for the dock will be higher. Just like the phones are. It would have been nice to include it with the phone. My guess though is people would start crying that they don't want it and would prefer the phone to be cheaper, so I see the MS dilemna. I'm getting the phone either way just sad that I will have to dish out extra for the dock.

Miracast is a wifi tech, so MS could make the dock use MIMO for the miracast which would match with the phones antennas. This could give quite great performance over standard miracast dongles. I'm probably going to buy the miracast dongle instead because to me that's cheaper and if there's latency I will live with it.

But please don't put words in my mouth. It's obviously useful, but price is always a concern when buying things. Additional capabilities always make pricing more validated. That's a fact, and you can't argue with that.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
And honestly Canadians do get the bad end of the stick so this additional accessory hits the wallet hard. The 950xl is going to cost me $960 with taxes. Now the price in Canada for the dock will be higher. Just like the phones are. It would have been nice to include it with the phone.

MSFT can't solve your country's problems. You guys need to diversify your economy. When Gold, oil and copper were at all time highs were you guys mailing subsidy checks to MSFT? Now that resources have crashed you expect a charitable discount? Do you ask the same of people sending food, refrigerators, BMWs, etc to your country? No multinational gives a hardship bonus to people who can't seem to diversify their economy.

I feel bad for you guys but it wasn't exactly a treat for us Americans when it took a $1.40 to buy one euro.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Um, talking about a country's economics is pointless. MSFT is a business. It exists to make money, not for some social purpose. The good thing about free market is people have choice, buy it or no. If it is not in line with a consumers purchasing base, well don't buy it.
Gosh, this conversation has been really interesting. :)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
MSFT can't solve your country's problems. You guys need to diversify your economy. When Gold, oil and copper were at all time highs were you guys mailing subsidy checks to MSFT? Now that resources have crashed you expect a charitable discount? Do you ask the same of people sending food, refrigerators, BMWs, etc to your country? No multinational gives a hardship bonus to people who can't seem to diversify their economy.

I feel bad for you guys but it wasn't exactly a treat for us Americans when it took a $1.40 to buy one euro.

Of course not. I do blame our government for introducing HST in order to screw over consumers and help businesses. And I completely agree with you. But here people are more careful with their money as a result. So when we buy stuff we really want to get our money's worth. I believe the 950xl is definitely worth it but i'm not so convinced on the dock just yet.

And I think if the liberals legalized marijuana, regulated and taxed it, it would definitely help the economy boom, considering Canada has one of the highest usage out of any country, despite it being illegal. I don't use it(I have in the past), but am a man of science and if alcohol/caffeine/cigarettes are legal, so should this. Liberals are planning to legalize it. But they have to win first hehe. And sorry about the politics just adding something in for economical purpose. So let's not get into any conversations regarding that.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Um, talking about a country's economics is pointless. MSFT is a business. It exists to make money, not for some social purpose. The good thing about free market is people have choice, buy it or no. If it is not in line with a consumers purchasing base, well don't buy it.
Gosh, this conversation has been really interesting. :)

There has been a lot of heat on this forum coming from north of the border. Nobody likes paying more for something. But the problem is if the Canadian dollar tanks everything in Canada that is imported is going to cost more. That isn't MSFTs fault. Frankly a lot of big multinational corporations actually like a weak US dollar. It makes their goods cheaper in places like Canada. Unfortunately international money flows are not something the average person really gets. So you have people blaming MSFT.

Back more on topic. I don't want MSFT to repeat the original Surface debacle. Making hardware isn't cheap. I don't know all of MSFT's costs but I don't think if people are just going to use it as a curiosity that MSFT should be handing out hundreds of thousands or millions of $99 docks for free. They need to manage their supply chain and get the hardware in the hands of people who are most likely to use it. If they can afford it and it pays dividends then fine. Hand them out for free. But if they are just going to be used as a toy or worse yet gather dust why blow millions? I would rather have that money spent on paying app developers to bring apps to the platform. To be honest with you there are maybe three or four apps I need that I don't have. Instead of giving away docks to people who neither use them nor appreciate them they could easily pay to bring those apps to Windows Mobile.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
There has been a lot of heat on this forum coming from north of the border. Nobody likes paying more for something. But the problem is if the Canadian dollar tanks everything in Canada that is imported is going to cost more. That isn't MSFTs fault. Frankly a lot of big multinational corporations actually like a weak US dollar. It makes their goods cheaper in places like Canada. Unfortunately international money flows are not something the average person really gets. So you have people blaming MSFT.

Back more on topic. I don't want MSFT to repeat the original Surface debacle. Making hardware isn't cheap. I don't know all of MSFT's costs but I don't think if people are just going to use it as a curiosity that MSFT should be handing out hundreds of thousands or millions of $99 docks for free. They need to manage their supply chain and get the hardware in the hands of people who are most likely to use it. If they can afford it and it pays dividends then fine. Hand them out for free. But if they are just going to be used as a toy or worse yet gather dust why blow millions? I would rather have that money spent on paying app developers to bring apps to the platform. To be honest with you there are maybe three or four apps I need that I don't have. Instead of giving away docks to people who neither use them nor appreciate them they could easily pay to bring those apps to Windows Mobile.
Good points well said.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb