Windows 10 Continuum Dilemma

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps I could try and answer what is Microsoft's vision with Continuum, I really think some people are missing the point.

Granted, this is just my opinion but if you think Microsoft's goal for Continuum was just to create some sort of geeky ultra laptop alternative or a glorified Windows RT replacement, I believe you should think again. The way I see it, Microsoft is peering into the mobile future, where so far, not even Apple has dared to tread and certainly not the other Android manufacturers. Microsoft is extending the traditional boundaries of what a phone ought to be and therefore what the possibilities could be. No wonder some people are struggling to get their heads around it, no-one's done it quite like this before.

This is the first iteration of that envisioning and I think it's great. Will this replace my laptop? Erm, no, it's not meant to. Is this supposed to compete with the Intel PC stick? Erm, no, entirely different target audience and use case. Now the next question is a little harder to answer at first - is this supposed to be carried around with Bluetooth keyboard, mice, dock and quite possibly a monitor too? Hmm, well on the face of it, no because that would be the definition of a laptop, right? However, it's conceivable that someone could carry a foldable BT keyboard and a mouse and dock alongside their existing mobile arsenal of kit. Into the future though, that may become the norm for people, who knows.

The key thing about Continuum is not so much about what it can do when compared with a traditional laptop or tablet, it's more about the power of Windows 10 behind it + the Snapdragon 808, 64-bit Hexa core. That the 950 can do these things at all and still behave like a phone, is truly remarkable. Now, start imagining what else it could do....

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Bbbb

How come you don't want to acknowledge that continuum can work without a keyboard and mouse? Weight of the dock is negligible compared to a laptop. And the professors i am referring to are from the Philippines (yes, I am from a 3rd world country and continuum, is admittedly, something we can use). These professors prefer to bring their own laptops for presentations rather than stick a usb in the drive, some for security reasons, others cause they don't wanna get malware.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Continuum requires the mouse and the keyboard, as shown in the Microsoft demo.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Continuum requires the mouse and the keyboard, as shown in the Microsoft demo.

Only if you want to use a mouse and keyboard. Otherwise you can navigate using the phone's screen as a trackpad/keyboard.

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
. . .The way I see it, Microsoft is peering into the mobile future, where so far, not even Apple has dared to tread and certainly not the other Android manufacturers. Microsoft is extending the traditional boundaries of what a phone ought to be and therefore what the possibilities could be. No wonder some people are struggling to get their heads around it, no-one's done it quite like this before.

I definitely agree with this. Try as canonical may, but they're too slow.

The key thing about Continuum is not so much about what it can do when compared with a traditional laptop or tablet, it's more about the power of Windows 10 behind it + the Snapdragon 808, 64-bit Hexa core. That the 950 can do these things at all and still behave like a phone, is truly remarkable. Now, start imagining what else it could do....

Its also about what the universal app model can do. You can scale it to the size of the screen and to the power of the unit, and it looks like it would soon no longer matter whether your computer is running a x86 chip or ARM. It is a developer's playground. I just saw an article on the Register (yes, the anti-microsoft site) just the other day where it says that Devs are petitioning MS to create an app model that would not only work on W10, but also on OSX, iOS, Linux and Android. Looks like devs really like the idea of a universal app model. Continuum is supposed to show it off. The article is entitled "Devs ask Microsoft for real .NET universal apps: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android"

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Only if you want to use a mouse and keyboard. Otherwise you can navigate using the phone's screen as a trackpad/keyboard.

They showed that the phone is free to be used separately while it is connected to the big screen, but I don't think you can control the big screen using the phone.

If they did, they would have showed it during the demo.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
They showed that the phone is free to be used separately while it is connected to the big screen, but I don't think you can control the big screen using the phone.

If they did, they would have showed it during the demo.

Which demo did you watch? Even the Asus demo showed how you could pull up a trackpad-like screen to navigate the Desktop.

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Which demo did you watch? Even the Asus demo showed how you could pull up a trackpad-like screen to navigate the Desktop.

Indeed. New Jade Primo video also shows that you can use phone as a trackpad and even connect to Continuum through Miracast.

Microsoft should've shown that during the even to at least let people know that Continuum isn't limited to wired connection.

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
A video of the wireless continuum demo is on page 2 of this thread. I think its post #47 or therabouts. Its the acer jade primo demo. Don't let the ladies distract you ;) .

Regarding the acer setup though. They used an actual dock for continuum which means your phone sits upright on your desk. Honestly, i feel microsoft's solution is better, just a small box with wires as you are free to use your phone as you wish. But i've seen people saying they prefer a dock for the phone.

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft Display Adapter is nice and its indeed allows user to freely use the phone, but they have (and we) to stop calling Display Adapter a dock since its not, its a hub device. Acer is the actual dock since it sits to the device.

I wish that Microsoft will release Wireless Charger that's has NFC to automatically trigger continuum. I think Microsoft should also release new Continuum enabled accessories like the actual dock, and Keyboard with Continuum dock. For other manufactures, it would be great to have Monitor where its base have Wireless charging with NFC to trigger Continuum.

This is where OEMs especially Asus to consider releasing devices with Continuum under Transformer and Padfone line. They already have tech currently on their Android and they have just to release W10M equivalent device at least. They can make phone that inserts inside the tablet that also have keyboard base to make as a laptop, this is where Continuum shines and become make more sense to many people.

It would be a really cool product and Microsoft can partner with them to advertise and promote that even Microsoft already has Surface Book, which is entirely different target market anyways. The "Transformer Fone" is for people who wants a phone that can be used as a lite ultrabook and also a tablet when needed, a true productivity pocket PC hybrid.
2015-10-03_13-07-00.png

Last edited:

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Instead of buying a PC stick for $150 or the Continuum dock for $100, why not just buy a Windows 10 laptop for $150-$200? I think that's what most consumers would want and need. PC sticks and Continuum docks are gimmicky gadgets - nice to show off, but not really useful in the real world.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Weight/form factor... Even the lightest laptop is still heavier than a phone.

Picture this: A business has several docks set up around the office. Someone is coming from offsite to do a presentation. No matter, just plug in your phone and bam.. It's right there, on site.

People are so fixated on the now, but really Continuum is about the future. Most people don't need desktops/laptops in their day to day lives, but they need them occasionally... If they can get a phone that truly 100% replaces a PC, that's the phone people will want. In the business world, instead of issuing a phone and a laptop to an employee, you just issue a phone. Less to keep track of and potentially more control from a business perspective.

I'm not saying things are there now, but we're definitely a glimpse of it.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Weight/form factor... Even the lightest laptop is still heavier than a phone.

Picture this: A business has several docks set up around the office. Someone is coming from offsite to do a presentation. No matter, just plug in your phone and bam.. It's right there, on site.

People are so fixated on the now, but really Continuum is about the future. Most people don't need desktops/laptops in their day to day lives, but they need them occasionally... If they can get a phone that truly 100% replaces a PC, that's the phone people will want. In the business world, instead of issuing a phone and a laptop to an employee, you just issue a phone. Less to keep track of and potentially more control from a business perspective.

I'm not saying things are there now, but we're definitely a glimpse of it.

No need for a dock if you already have a laptop. Laptops provide much more productivity than a phone, what business wouldn't provide a laptop/PC to their employees?

And with your scenario, most projectors have display ports, VGA ports, or HDMI ports. Just plug it into your laptop and bam. It's right there, on site.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Add $230 to that for MS Office please.

Office 365 allows installation up to 5 devices. So that's $0 additional actually, assuming you or your workplace already has Office. And I'd be really surprised to hear if your workplace doesn't have Office.

Also, most (if not all) sub $200 Windows laptops come with 1 year of Office 365 for free.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Right... so in the future, they'll only issue a phone, not a phone and a laptop.

That doesn't seem feasible in the slightest. How is anyone supposed to write documentation/create presentations/manage huge spreadsheets on the road if all they have is a phone? Laptops are not going any anytime soon.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to try something with continuum. quite a risk as well. I own a small retail store and we are now expanding into a bigger store. I will be a bit limited in relation to rent, d?cor, stock; so I'm thinking maybe use continuum to power the office? yes I can get a PC for cheap, not new, but I prefer to go fresh especially with what I sell (mobiles pc tablets) and the store will be mostly MS oriented....so why not show off continuum? makes a great sales pitch and "gimmick" factor...I do have my laptop for backup though!

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Way too big for me to carry a keyboard around. Is 6x4x1 really bulky for even skinny jeans?
41a6aqR627L.jpg
I want a surface phone with x86 so I can run desktop programs on my phone using the display dock. As long as there are enough unity apps, I can even do without an x86 chip. Not like I would be running my CAD programs on my phone, though, it would be nice if needed. I could only imagine it ever being needed once in a year, if that. Photoshop though, would be great on a phone. I have had to transfer pictures from my phone to PC run PS, upload photo back to web, download back to phone. Much nicer to plug into dock, play with photoshop and save image back into phone. Especially in vacation home where internet is 1mbs and that is if no one else in the house is using FB, twitter, Instagram, email, flight checks..... Have had my note 3 for 2 years now, and I want a metal phone. Not another plastic. Every edge and corner is mangled from very small drops. No, I do not and will not want a case. So close to getting back to windows phone, but I want a high end surface phone, not a plastic nokia.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb