Killer use case for Continuum

duncanstives

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
So I have not been able to get my hands on a 950xl yet but I keep reading how the continuum feature is "cool but not actually super useful"... The consensus seems to be that it's usefulness is limited by the fact that most users probably already have dedicated computers and don't have much need for a sort of crippled one that doesn't run X86 applications.
Maybe I am missing something but shouldn't continuum be HUGE for those of us (like myself) still on ATTs unlimited data plan? I mean ATT won't sell you tethering service if you still have unlimited data (otherwise you could simply tether and use ATTs network as a primary means of internet access for all your devices)... But with continuum I should be able to use my phone for things like watching Netflix or even downloading obviously-totally-legal-public-domain items from bit torrent (ahem) and watching on a big screen right? I mean that could be huge... A casual user or a user in a rural area with no conventional high speed internet options available could pretty much use a grandfathered unlimited data plan, a continuum supporting windows phone and a few display docks as a passable way of getting internet access in a more general context than just on the phone right?

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
So I have not been able to get my hands on a 950xl yet but I keep reading how the continuum feature is "cool but not actually super useful"... The consensus seems to be that it's usefulness is limited by the fact that most users probably already have dedicated computers and don't have much need for a sort of crippled one that doesn't run X86 applications.
Maybe I am missing something but shouldn't continuum be HUGE for those of us (like myself) still on ATTs unlimited data plan? I mean ATT won't sell you tethering service if you still have unlimited data (otherwise you could simply tether and use ATTs network as a primary means of internet access for all your devices)... But with continuum I should be able to use my phone for things like watching Netflix or even downloading obviously-totally-legal-public-domain items from bit torrent (ahem) and watching on a big screen right? I mean that could be huge... A casual user or a user in a rural area with no conventional high speed internet options available could pretty much use a grandfathered unlimited data plan, a continuum supporting windows phone and a few display docks as a passable way of getting internet access in a more general context than just on the phone right?

Can do all of that already with wireless display tech... the lure of continuum at this stage is to experience and app as universal going from a mobile version to another version (desktop) when needed without the need to run an OS on the desktop ..It works through the display dock or through Miracast.

Is it killer? I say fro some it probably is especially those that want one device and travel a bunch. You could easily "do work" in office apps as long as you had a display that you could connect to either through the dock or wireless.

You could have a small case with .... A by wedge keyboard, BY Mouse and wireless adapter and be "good to go" almost anywhere.

Th main limitation though is it only supports a subset of store apps.... in the future "Panos Phone/Surface Phone" they will likely expand it too win 32 which would be amazing.

duncanstives

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The wireless display option requires a router (not likely something the average user without home internet has set up though it is true that routers are cheap so it's not much of a barrier)... There are also performance issues with that though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99