Confusion Abounds: Is Display Dock compatible with third party chargers?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I hate the chargers that Microsoft / Nokia provides. Fixed prongs, fixed cable means that it is a nightmare for travelling.

So, the Google dual-port USB-C one looked like a great alternative. The Microsoft one is 5V, 3A. The Google one is 5V, 4.5A (3.0V available to each port, but it prioritizes when you have two devices connected).

Lo and behold that when I try to connect it to the Display Dock, the red light doesn't ever come on, signaling that it's not being powered. Has anyone found a third-party charger that doesn't have this issue? I'm hoping that it's not Microsoft trying to lock you into using their charger...

Edit: So I tried a few more chargers (see below) and it turns out to be Google's charger that is the only one that has issues.

Edit 2: Updated my phone, and now I'm even more confused as only the official charger seems to be working again.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Display Dock not compatible with third party chargers?

I would suspect that the Google charger isn't providing the 3.0A required for the dock. I have a charger at home that states it is a 1A charger. However, my phone states it is "charging slowly" when connected. I used some test equipment and discovered it was only putting out 150mA of the 1A advertised. I returned it for another, and the second one worked just fine. The first one was faulty, which may be the case with what you have. It happens.

There really is no way for the Display Dock to know if it is a Microsoft "Official Dock" charger, unless they put a SoC inside the charger and the dock to communicate with each other to make sure. That is highly doubtful, and would have made it much more expensive than it is. If you make sure you get something that puts out the proper current that is expected, then it shouldn't be an issue.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

Yeah, I don't know about it being defective or just not capable of 3A as claimed, but I'm hoping that's the case as well. With regards to no way for it to tell, I don't think that's true with Type-C. It's a requirement that the two devices have to communicate. They negotiate to see which is host, what amounts of power are available, what the device is capable of using, etc.

Unfortunately, the 950XL doesn't have any notification that you're not using fast charging. It's either charging or not... so I can't really see if it's delivering 3A.

With so few options for USB-C charging right now though, it doesn't seem like I'll really be able to get a confirmed answer on this right away. There don't seem to be many third-party options yet to choose from.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

To satisfy my curiosity, I bought a Choetech 3A charger ( http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Qual...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3354955 ), and the Display Dock is powered correctly. Looks like it's just an issue with the dual-port Amazon one as expected.

Unfortunately, the Choetech one doesn't have folding prongs either, but at least it's a detachable one, which is a step up.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Re: Update: Display Dock NOT not compatible with third party chargers

I've now used a bunch of different chargers, and the Google one, despite meeting requirements, is the only one to have issues. I tested the car chargers just to see if they were capable, not really because that's something I'd use.

Vinsic USB-C Car Charger (1 USB-C, 1 USB-A): Worked fine (with only the dock connected - this charger is known to have trouble powering two devices at once)
Aukey USB-C Car Charger (1 USB-C, 2 USB-A): Worked fine with three devices connected
Choetech 3A USB-C Charger (1 USB-C): Worked as mentioned above
Tronsmart 33W USB-C Charger (1 USB-C, 1 USB-A): Works, AND has folding prongs like I was looking for in the first place.

Edit: Actually, neither the Choetech one or the Tronsmart one appear to be working after the latest firmware and .63 update. Both power the dock (the light turns red instead of flashing red), but nothing is happening on the external screen. Back to the drawing board (who knew this stuff would be such a mess).

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I am so damn confused now. I did the Insider .63 update this weekend, and then also reset my phone so that I could get the 15506 firmware update on my 950XL... and now only the Microsoft stock charger is working to power the dock.

Display Dock with no outside power: Doesn't work
Microsoft stock charger to power Display Dock: Works
Tronsmart 33W USB-A + USB-C charger to power Display Dock over USB-C port: Doesn't work
Tronsmart 33W USB-A + USB-C charger to power Display Dock over USB-A port: Displays an error message about the wrong charger, but works anyway (really slow charging as expected)
Choetech 5V 3A charger to power Display Dock: Doesn't work
Google Dual-Port charger to power Display Dock: Doesn't work
Palm USB-A 2A charger to power Display Dock: Displays an error message about the wrong charger, but works anyway (really slow charging as expected)

I really have zero idea why the Display Dock would be so finicky. According to the specs on it, it needs 5V with 3A in, which is exactly what all of these third-party chargers are capable of providing. And hell, the 2A USB-A charger is working, so I'm really confused, and back to my original theory that maybe Microsoft is somehow preventing third-party chargers from working.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss