Display Size with Miracast

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm using Miracast to show my phone on my TV. When I open an app like Word or Edge it works fine but the edges of the apps are off screen. It is like the vertical and horizontal adjustments on the phone are to large for the TV. Is there a way to adjust the way it fits my TV screen?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
In my experience, you only get to adjust this once, the first time you ever run Continuum. After that, you can never adjust overscan again.

Edit: I actually have to correct myself. Windows 10 Mobile ​neverlets you adjust this. As part of the first run wizard, it displays arrows on your screen to help you adjust if your TV has controls, but there's no on-device adjustment. Those arrows do only show the first time though.

Last edited:

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
In my experience, you only get to adjust this once, the first time you ever run Continuum. After that, you can never adjust overscan again.
But if you change an TV with different resolution , like 720p -> 1080p , and went back, you might be able to do that again. Most of time only 720P TV have overscan issues since their native resolution is 1366x738. But 1080p TV is natively 1920x1080 so they don't do over scan but dot to dot.

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Oh gezz, I hope i can adjust this. I only connected it to a 1080p tv and i don't remember getting an option to adjust the size.

Moneybear

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
On your TV remote their will be a picture size/aspect ration button. Usually be cycling through the settings, 4:3 16:9 scaled, best fit , zoom, actual size etc etc you will find one that fills the screen properly. Different manufacturers call the options different things, so depends on your setup

marcox92

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Strange little bug

When I connect my 950 XL to the dock A message "Incorrect cable format, use the one in the box"
(It is the one of the box)
I tap screen and it runs normally
Marc

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
That's really weird, I haven't seen that bug.

For what it's worth, the error message is supposed to warn you only when you're using a USB 2.0 Type-C cable, which doesn't have the proper number of conductors for highspeed USB and (more importantly) for the Alternate mode that lets the cable carry a DisplayPort signal. But yeah, if you're using a USB 3.1 Type-C cable like the one in the box, you definitely shouldn't be seeing that issue.

armandojv

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You can adjust this using the windows 8, 8.1 or 10 pc app. You connect the pc to the miracast device and then you adjust the display settings. Once this is done it will carry over to other devices that you connect to.

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You can adjust this using the windows 8, 8.1 or 10 pc app. You connect the pc to the miracast device and then you adjust the display settings. Once this is done it will carry over to other devices that you connect to.

Thank you armandojv!! It was getting really annoying that I couldn't get it to fit the screen correctly, but your solution worked perfectly!

-Skippy

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. I'll try this when I get home with the tablet and see if it crosses over to the phone. If this works you've saved my life. I'm planning on getting a 32" 720p TV but my WDA is currently configured to run on 1080p (resolution of my monitor).

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Actually, since my last post on this, Microsoft has released a UWP version of the Wireless Display Adapter app, and Actiontec has done the same for the Screenbeam Configuration app. You can now install both of these on your phone (depending on which hardware you have) and adjust it there.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Actually, since my last post on this, Microsoft has released a UWP version of the Wireless Display Adapter app, and Actiontec has done the same for the Screenbeam Configuration app. You can now install both of these on your phone (depending on which hardware you have) and adjust it there.

Wow thanks for that! I had checked the store by mid January when I got my wireless adapter and only found an app for the Surface. This UWP version is great, I hated the idea to have to bring my surface2 with the adapter in case of.

dwlovell

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
On my Sony TV with the Microsoft Wireless Display adapter, I had the same issue. There was a setting in the Sony menu to choose something like "Full Pixel" for edges and this made it perfect. I did not change anything on the phone itself. When I get home I can get the exact setting, but I would look closely in your TV/display's menu rather than the phone.

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
A really good option is to install the "Wireless Display Adapter" app on your phone, then you can manually adjust the display size as needed. This app also lets you update the firmware on the adapter. This app is very handy when using monitors which do not allow user configuration (e.g. many hotels).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Folks, Miracast and Continuum are not the same. Miracast is display mirroring which you can do with just about any Windows or Android phone. Continuum is the "desktop" experience you can only get with newer Windows 10 phones (Lumia 950 series, HP Elite, Acer Liquid Jade Primo and the upcoming Alcatel Idol 4S). As for using a wireless adapter, Actiontec has 2 different Screenbeam Minis. One is for Miracast and the other is sold as the Screenbeam Mini for Continuum. I have one of each and I can tell you, pay the extra coin for the Continuum model. They both work but the latency is greatly reduced with the Continuum version. It almost feels like a wired connection.

Regular:

ScreenBeam | Mini2 | ScreenBeam by Actiontec

Unleaded:

ScreenBeam | Mini2 Continuum Edition | ScreenBeam by Actiontec

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)