Can I use Display Dock with my laptop or PCs

anuith

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if there is any way to use Microsoft Display Dock with current laptop or desktop PC as a USB hub and display adapter? Or with future PCs or is it possible for someone to make an adapter for current PCs.

It may not be any good. But my idea is to place it at my work place with mouse, keyboard, and monitor attached. And when I bring my laptop to work I just have to plug only one cable to get started with second screen and peripherals ready.

Last edited:

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm wondering if there is any way to use Microsoft Display Dock with my laptop or desktop PC as a USB hub and display adapter.

It may not be any good. But my idea is to place it at my work place with mouse, keyboard, and monitor attached. And when I bring my laptop to work I just have to plug only one cable to get started with second screen and peripherals ready.
Dose your pc or laptop even have usb-c ?

anuith

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
My current PC does not have one. But maybe in the future more PCs have USB-C included. Or is it possible for someone to make an adapter for it?

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the Dock would work at its current state with anything other than Continuum-supported phones running Windows 10 Mobile.

That being said, aside from trying to lock hardware to specific docks to encourage sale of proprietary accessories, it should be possible to make a standard dock that drives a display through USB-C and provides other ports that could work with Continuum phones and PCs with USB-C.

That would really be attractive for hot desks as someone could just plug in any phone, tablet, or laptop and get to work.

Martin_Hofman

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm using the hd500 almost daily on a 23" screen with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse where my Lumia950 is working in the middle and it works good. I also was wondering what there is to do with the display dock after this last year of support. My laptop has a USB-C port gen1 or maybe even gen2. So here was a Lenovo laptop working with the display dock on an external screen? But not anymore. What is possible with the HD500 now? And is there more after or with some apps to make of it? Or is it programmable and if it is, what is than possible to make of it? I'll like to know. It will be a waste of tech if nothing can do with it anymore. It's quite heavy for its proportions.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I plugged my L950 in to a dell display dock, which runs on USB-C, and continuum worked, the only way to tell is if you have a USB-C laptop with the capabilities of expanding, then give it a go.

It may be a really cheap way of getting a laptop to plug into your TV, and have all the peripherals there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire