11.6" Continuum Accessory

eportbook

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I have been inspired by continuum since its initial announcement and since then I have been working on an accessory that I could take anywhere so that I can be productive anytime I wanted to. I also wanted this accessory to be used for other devices such as xBox, etc. Basically the accessory is simply a portable display and a keyboard with a touchpad. The display and keyboard are detachable so that they can be used separately with other devices. Continuum lovers please share your thoughts on this device?

eport1.jpg

Last edited:

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Is the portable display connect by USb or HDMI? and as far as I know the dock need power to use, so you have to plug in everything , right? except the keyboard, which is Blutooth, I think.

eportbook

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Is the portable display connect by USb or HDMI? and as far as I know the dock need power to use, so you have to plug in everything , right? except the keyboard, which is Blutooth, I think.

The display is connected by HDMI. The cable running to the left is going to a power socket and therefore you are right about plugging the device except for the keyboard. I want to test a few powerful portable batteries that could charge a laptop to find out if they can power up the device and for how long. It would make the device usable where there is no power socket.

Have you also noticed that my Lumia 950 XL is not connected but the display is playing continuum. It is because I have plugged the display with a MiraCast dongle.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
So your solution is fairly similar as the nexdock, which the keyboard/touchpad is Bluetooth, and screen use HDMI, both keyboard and screen could be on battery and one of the USB can also charge the phone, however I do know if that can provide enough for the dock and phone. And also if you only need to connect hemi to the screen , you could use any usb-c to hemi adaptor instead have to carry the display dock with you.
By the way, do you mind share where did you get the portable display? I was thinking to get one of the old moto lapdock to do some modification to support continuum on my phone.

eportbook

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Nexdock is sort off a competition in this space. However, the difference is our keyboard and display are detachable and can be optimally used for other things. Any HDMI-enabled device you can think of can be used with the display. Also the display can be used for continuum without a Lumia dock. You can use wireless HDMI without a dock. I am just a fan of the dock because it gives me more ports to use for other things.

Our screens have been built in Taiwan. I can get you one if you want.

use case.png

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
One more question, is your product/ prototype screen need power or can be run on battery as like Nexdock? And also have you consider add touch screen on the screen too? So the display still use hdmi or display port , the touch screen use USB or Bluetooth as a HID device for computer or continuum(i hear continuum will support touch screen later too, but if it use HID profile then it will work just as a HID mouse),
And BTW, do you have website?

eportbook

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
The screen needs power. In the original image I have posted, the screen is getting the power from the dock. However, for this version of the product, we want to experiment with using one of the powerful portable batteries to see how far it can sustain the screen.

This version of the screen does not support touch. The next versions will support touch but we need numbers to support us so that we can be able to fund more innovation and feature. The screen supports hdmi and dispay port.

The website is www dot eportbook dot com. We need support on Indiegogo to innovate the product even further.

mohsen930

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
i wanna buy lumia 950 xl,but i have a big questuion,i could not find it in my searches,hope someone help me here
can i use a 1 tb external hard via display dock with lumia 950 xl?

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
i wanna buy lumia 950 xl,but i have a big questuion,i could not find it in my searches,hope someone help me here
yes, it works, but since the external hard drive might comsuming high power, so I suggest to use the first USB port which can provide high AMP, or use separate power for the Hard drive.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I have been inspired by continuum since its initial announcement and since then I have been working on an accessory that I could take anywhere so that I can be productive anytime I wanted to. I also wanted this accessory to be used for other devices such as xBox, etc. Basically the accessory is simply a portable display and a keyboard with a touchpad. The display and keyboard are detachable so that they can be used separately with other devices. Continuum lovers please share your thoughts on this device?

View attachment 123678

Very cool idea. I like it. Would love a 10-key on the keyboard. Also need a manual button to disable the touchpad on the fly. Next iteration, you can design the Display Dock inside the device. So, you can just plug a single USBc directly into the device for power and everything. Omit the dock altogether.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

I have a USB powered external 2TB drive, Western Digital 2TB for MAC (reformatted for Windows exFAT). Works great with my 950XL

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I like the concept of this, but I would like to see the following:

1. taller screen(4:3 ratio)
  2. Wireless docking solution (miracast and bluetooth), with usb-c as a backup
  3. detachable clamshell design (asus t100, surface book, etc) to get rid of the kickstand\
  4. support for the new stylus microsoft is working on

The nexdock doesn't have any of these things, since it's a budget device. i don't know if the HP companion device will, but i imagine if it does, it will be pretty pricy. and not detachable.

they've rumored that touchscreen compatibility is coming to continuum, so hopefully that will be an option. I also hope that stylus support will be coming, as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs