A cheap 15.6" 1080p portable monitor with usb-c

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
After learning that the hp laptop dock will be 599! I knew this was not going to be a purchase I make. I mean honestly there are some sales right now that are selling great 2-in-1s for that price. Even MS has a pretty nice mid end acer aspire on sale on their website for that exact price and you can use the connect app to connect your phone.. If you already have a bluetooth keyboard/mouse check out this portable monitor by asus, it actually looks pretty nice. There are cheaper ones you can get for even 100 dollars. This one comes with a nice smart case that lets you prop it up nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013XFJKGI/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B00H0FK2A6

71wIQ2CAHNL._SL1500_.jpg

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
After learning that the hp laptop dock will be 599! I knew this was not going to be a purchase I make. I mean honestly there are some sales right now that are selling great 2-in-1s for that price. Even MS has a pretty nice mid end acer aspire on sale on their website for that exact price and you can use the connect app to connect your phone.. If you already have a bluetooth keyboard/mouse check out this portable monitor by asus, it actually looks pretty nice. There are cheaper ones you can get for even 100 dollars. This one comes with a nice smart case that lets you prop it up nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013XFJKGI/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B00H0FK2A6

View attachment 131062

That's pretty cool but how do you both hook up the phone to the monitor as well as charge the phone? Wouldn't you need to use something like the Microsoft Dock, in which case you're just adding more complexity and things to carry along?

EDIT: One other thing to consider with the Lap Dock is that it is just a dumb terminal. Hopefully, as Microsoft et al. continue to iterate phones with Continuum (which, despite their retrenchment from mobile in general, seems to be something that is in their long-term plans), you just plug it into the Lap Dock and you've instantly upgraded your "laptop". I have no doubt that if and when a Surface phone is released, it will be compatible with Continuum via USB-C i.e. the Lap Dock. When viewed as a purchase that can be used for several years over several different phone models it seems less expensive.

I'm obviously a big fan of the concept and just put in my pre-order. But, sometimes I have more money than sense haha.

Last edited:

kkaykaykay

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I thought about this a while ago. But the main problem is that it uses USB 3.0 to connect to a laptop and convert the signal to video. It sounds nice on paper, but it utilises DisplayLink drivers, which do not exist for W10M. Unless that's supported, this won't work.

The other sensible to do is to get a portable screen with hdmi input, but I've done my dodgy research and haven't found any that is portable.

Afterwards though, I had a though. By using the Connect app in the W10 anniversary update, you could technically connect any Windows 10 PC/tablet to the phone. My friend gave me some ChinaBrand oldish tablet model that runs Windows (Teclast x98, runs on an Intel Atom), hoping that I could connect to it and not use the Atom processor and literally use the tablet as a portable screen, but wouldn't connect...

So the only working solution to portable screen is either Nexdock or HP Lapdock.

One can only hope for future products though.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I thought about this a while ago. But the main problem is that it uses USB 3.0 to connect to a laptop and convert the signal to video. It sounds nice on paper, but it utilises DisplayLink drivers, which do not exist for W10M. Unless that's supported, this won't work.

The other sensible to do is to get a portable screen with hdmi input, but I've done my dodgy research and haven't found any that is portable.

Afterwards though, I had a though. By using the Connect app in the W10 anniversary update, you could technically connect any Windows 10 PC/tablet to the phone. My friend gave me some ChinaBrand oldish tablet model that runs Windows (Teclast x98, runs on an Intel Atom), hoping that I could connect to it and not use the Atom processor and literally use the tablet as a portable screen, but wouldn't connect...

So the only working solution to portable screen is either Nexdock or HP Lapdock.

GeChic makes a bunch of portable monitors but they aren't exactly cheap:

PRODUCT- Gechic Corporation

Stewart L

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
The Type USB C version is only compatible with 4 laptops. People have been trying with other types and it's no working.

ASUS G752 notebook (17.3-inch)
ASUS UX501VW notebook (15.6-inch)
Apple MacBook (12-inch)
Chromebook Pixel (12.85-inch)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The Type USB C version is only compatible with 4 laptops. People have been trying with other types and it's no working.

ASUS G752 notebook (17.3-inch)
ASUS UX501VW notebook (15.6-inch)
Apple MacBook (12-inch)
Chromebook Pixel (12.85-inch)

Are you saying these are the only 4 laptops with USB-C?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

There are 3 monitors shown on the OP's link. One is USB 3.0 where you would need drivers of some sort. One is VGA to use with older machines and the other is USB-C. That's the one you need to buy for use with Continuum phones since there are no drivers required.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes