Continuum to TV?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I used Lumia 1520 to cast my phone screen (local TV app) to my TV before, but it seems that I lost that with my new Lumia 950 XL - did I ?

I think I read somewhere it's broken, and that you need one of the store options for dlna casting

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Anyone know can I use connect to cast my phone screen on my TV or is it just "Continuum" now (so only Continuum supported apps available) ?

I used Lumia 1520 to cast my phone screen (local TV app) to my TV before, but it seems that I lost that with my new Lumia 950 XL - did I ?

Depends on the wireless standard your TV uses for wireless display. I've found that if the TV uses Intel's WiDi you can connect to the TV and have it just mirror the display of your phone to the TV fine. If it uses Miracast which is more popular however it becomes more difficult. if you have an Android TV you are out of luck. Just my experience.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Depends on the wireless standard your TV uses for wireless display. I've found that if the TV uses Intel's WiDi you can connect to the TV and have it just mirror the display of your phone to the TV fine. If it uses Miracast which is more popular however it becomes more difficult. if you have an Android TV you are out of luck. Just my experience.

My LG TV has WiDi/Miracast setting together, so both or nothing. Connecting of my cp does not let me chose one either, it is just Miracast :(

The best casting seems to be done by super old "Lumia Play To" (installable through my libarary), but it is just for photos, videos and music :(

If anyone knows good DLNA app (to cast a full cp screen to TV), please please let me know

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I kinda think the best way is just get a Microsoft wireless display adapter. It works continuum or mirroring.... And well the OS supports it.

I haven't found to much success connecting directly to my LG TV built in wireless thingy

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I have an old Netgear push2tv which works well to connect Windows laptops and phones to any TV. It also worked with Android devices until marshmallow.

jsouth117

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by Jaripi
Anyone know can I use connect to cast my phone screen on my TV or is it just "Continuum" now (so only Continuum supported apps available) ?

In the continuum app (while connected wirelessly to screen) you can select display settings in the drop down menu. Then it will take you to a settings page. At the bottom of the settings page is advanced options. In advanced options you can choose to use continuum or to mirror your screen (which is what you were doing on your 1520). Is that what you meant?

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
In the continuum app (while connected wirelessly to screen) you can select display settings in the drop down menu. Then it will take you to a settings page. At the bottom of the settings page is advanced options. In advanced options you can choose to use continuum or to mirror your screen (which is what you were doing on your 1520). Is that what you meant?
Thanks. I catch it now (with a new insider build 15043). Wireless display is working very well (even casting a local TV app to large screen TV), but Continuum did not make that well. I was often moving my tiles, when I was scrolling and video and voice has some lags when using it. Anyway, it is clear now where I can find that wireless display. Well, I think that it should be a clear option, not hidden under advanced display options.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I got an Actiontec Screenbeam Mini2 Continuum Edition Transmitter for $55.00 to connect to a New Z9D Sony with Android TV; works good with phone and surface pro 3.

Last edited:

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I got an Actiontec Screenbeam Mini2 Continuum Edition Transmitter for $55.00 to connect to a New Z9D Sony with Android TV; work good with phone and surface pro 3.
You have a nice TV :) ... anyway, I was using just standard Miracast (LG) for short testing. I will retest Continuum later with MS Wireless Display Adapter, as I have it somewhere.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You have a nice TV :) ... anyway, I was using just standard Miracast (LG) for short testing. I will retest Continuum later with MS Wireless Display Adapter, as I have it somewhere.
My earlier testing with LG TV made me think that there is a problem with miracast of LG, not with my Lumia 950 XL. The similar miracast (screen casting) testing with new Samsung 65KS9005 TV had no problems with connection, even casting avi movies was working well. I did not check my old MS Wireless Display Adapter yet, but it has been always working well ...

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
FYI, with the current release build of W10 mobile Netfilx works fine in Edge and so in Continuum. The app still fails. A cheap Logitech K400 style keyboard will do all you want.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
anyway, I was using just standard Miracast (LG) for short testing. I will retest Continuum later with MS Wireless Display Adapter, as I have it somewhere.

yea I just got a LG TV a couple months ago and even just miracast casting hasn't been that great an experience. Long connection time but never finishing. (not continuum)

I have a wireless display adapter for my old TV but was hoping to not need to use it for the LG!

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, I can confirm that my Roku Stick connects wirelessly via Continuum every time, never a failure. Still better by HDMI lead to have zero lag but the Roku Stick does work very well. The Roku Stick was off and on whilst screen mirroring was a beta function for Roku, but since it reached release status it's been pretty flawless.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Still better by HDMI lead to have zero lag.

Andy, do you think if I connected my 950XL to a Onkyo Receiver (via HDMI cable), that is next to a 4K TV, and use an extra Surface Pro 3 Keyboard (w/ Bluetooth adaptor) to navigate, I would have a favorable result? I will try it later (no time right now), but I would like to know your thoughts. Thanks:)

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
MS Wireless Display adapter works OK, except hard to change TV display settings (oversize for Continuum), can not use Wireless Display Adapter (can open it, but can not do anything with it) and hard to change between Continuum and wireless display (screen casting). I had to restart my phone to do it. Anyway, screen casting of a local TV app was surprising good, to cast an TV program from phone to 55" TV. It is really useful during holidays and when travelling for any reason.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by mtf1380
Originally Posted by AndyCalling
Still better by HDMI lead to have zero lag.

Andy, do you think if I connected my 950XL to a Onkyo Receiver (via HDMI cable), that is next to a 4K TV, and use an extra Surface Pro 3 Keyboard (w/ Bluetooth adaptor) to navigate, I would have a favorable result? I will try it later (no time right now), but I would like to know your thoughts. Thanks:)

Yes, works through an HDMI switch for me so should be OK without a direct connection to the display.

Are you using an MS dock or third party? Third party can cause issues as the display outputs can have compatibility problems and if it has a USB3 port that can cause interference issues on the 2.4GHz band which reduces Bluetooth, WiFi and mouse/kb dongle range. Also, note your TV will run max 1080p 60Hz under continuum.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Yes, works through an HDMI switch for me so should be OK without a direct connection to the display.

Are you using an MS dock or third party?

Andy, thank you for your reply.

I have a number of different adaptors, one of which is a MS dock, the next time I put the TV away form the wall for cleaning, I will do some testing:)

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
MS Wireless Display adapter works OK, except hard to change TV display settings (oversize for Continuum), can not use Wireless Display Adapter (can open it, but can not do anything with it) and hard to change between Continuum and wireless display (screen casting). I had to restart my phone to do it. Anyway, screen casting of a local TV app was surprising good, to cast an TV program from phone to 55" TV. It is really useful during holidays and when travelling for any reason.
Switching between Continuum and wireless display works fine with 15047. Others remain same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion