04-04-2017 09:39 AM
51 123
tools
    I think it's a great idea. But this is where the app gap of W10M really shows. Everybody I show it too asks 'can it run x app?', e.g. Gmail, or something like that. When I show them it only runs what's on the phone they immediately go silent, because everyone knows that nobody likes W10M anymore, sadly. So showing off Continuum fails.
    This is why I believe that Samsung's version of Continuum will go over better than Microsoft's version. WM has an app shortage issue, and Continuum is limited to a small subset of those apps. Samsung (Android) does not have that problem.

My opinion is that Continuum on WM will not take off until phones are running Windows on ARM.
    03-06-2017 12:28 PM
    For me, won't be too too bad if they manage to allow non uwp run in windowed mode
    03-06-2017 09:14 PM
    What Continuum really needs are monitors with WiFi Direct as to avoid more docks and adapters (or whatever the Wii U used because that worked perfectly).
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    03-06-2017 09:43 PM
    What Continuum really needs are monitors with WiFi Direct as to avoid more docks and adapters (or whatever the Wii U used because that worked perfectly).
    I've tried the various wireless adapters but nothing works as well as a good wired connection. The latency from any wireless option really kills the experience.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    HeyCori, aximtreo and editguy like this.
    03-07-2017 03:21 PM
    Been pretty happy with using wireless to connect my 950xl to my company issued lenovo t460. yes not perfect latency wise but I think it's quite acceptable!
    03-10-2017 01:45 PM
    It's definitely a fascinating idea and i'm hoping it's built out further. I know there's a lot of times I don't necessarily love hauling my surface pro 4 around and would like this idea (particularly for my home office). If I could just plug my phone into the dock and use it seamlessly like I was at my office that would be perfect in my opinion so I don't have to always bring my laptop or surface pro home or something of that sort.

They're definitely on the right track in my opinion.
    03-10-2017 02:37 PM
    In an era where the desktop is sort of going away, with the exception of work and heavy duty pc gaming, continuum isn't really a feature for consumers.

It could have a role though. One way I think it could be great is a dock for your TV. It would be competing against smart TV's, but I know a lot of people don't want smart functions in their TV's, purely because it's so easy to implement yourself and do a much better job of it.

Actually now that I think of it, for the consumer, this is somewhere where continuum actually makes a lot of sense; the TV.
    03-10-2017 04:36 PM
    In an era where the desktop is sort of going away, with the exception of work and heavy duty pc gaming, continuum isn't really a feature for consumers.

It could have a role though. One way I think it could be great is a dock for your TV. It would be competing against smart TV's, but I know a lot of people don't want smart functions in their TV's, purely because it's so easy to implement yourself and do a much better job of it.

Actually now that I think of it, for the consumer, this is somewhere where continuum actually makes a lot of sense; the TV.
    Don't you think there's a large market of business/mixed with consumers who are using both a desktop/mobile device for work though? That would work perfectly for me and I think countless others.

Even on the consumer side and disregarding the business I would find it quite useful as well. Yes, I do the majority of my home browsing and things on a mobile device or tablet but there's a lot of times where I still get up and head to the laptop and or desktop computer to look through things. As you stated, maybe it's through a TV as the monitor as opposed to a separate monitor and keyboard elsewhere.
    03-10-2017 04:53 PM
    Don't you think there's a large market of business/mixed with consumers who are using both a desktop/mobile device for work though? That would work perfectly for me and I think countless others.

Even on the consumer side and disregarding the business I would find it quite useful as well. Yes, I do the majority of my home browsing and things on a mobile device or tablet but there's a lot of times where I still get up and head to the laptop and or desktop computer to look through things. As you stated, maybe it's through a TV as the monitor as opposed to a separate monitor and keyboard elsewhere.
    I wouldn't call Continuum a lifesaver but it has made my job easier by a magnitude of 100. My office is the backseat of an SUV. I'm no different than 1000s of other PMs who have to visit multiple jobsites and constantly preparing reports, submitting payroll, answering 100s of emails and ordering materials,etc. My setup is simple. I have a 15" flip-down monitor bolted to the ceiling and it's 12v (no added power requirements). I plug in the HDMI cable to the monitor, connect a keyboard with trackpad and I'm done. I do have a power inverter to drive the all in one printer in the back but that's not an everyday occurrence.

I could have a laptop, but that would mean another item constantly running off the inverter plus a hotspot. The only added bulk with my Continuum setup are cables and a keyboard which stow neatly away in a pocket on the seat back. Call me crazy but I'm enjoying simplicity, not to mention the "holy sh*t!" looks from the uninitiated. That's priceless.

03-11-2017 11:30 AM
    This is why I believe that Samsung's version of Continuum will go over better than Microsoft's version. WM has an app shortage issue, and Continuum is limited to a small subset of those apps. Samsung (Android) does not have that problem.

My opinion is that Continuum on WM will not take off until phones are running Windows on ARM.
    That's the point I guess. And it's seem to to happen soon. Windows on ARM. But the question is how long it will take to get a proper Device and ecosystem? Actually the prospect seems to be the old story... Microsoft is way ahead with there thinking and devices, but the crowd is not ready yet, and the money will be made by others...
    03-11-2017 01:36 PM

We have yet to see what Samsung's take on this subject will be. Just because Android has more apps means nothing, literally. Andromium is limited to a file browser and a forked Chrome-based browser. It's no better than a Chromebook and certainly less useful than Continuum.
    03-11-2017 04:03 PM
    I wouldn't call Continuum a lifesaver but it has made my job easier by a magnitude of 100. My office is the backseat of an SUV. I'm no different than 1000s of other PMs who have
    to visit multiple jobsites and constantly preparing reports, submitting payroll, answering 100s of emails and ordering materials,etc. My setup is simple. I have a 15" flip-down monitor bolted to the ceiling and it's 12v (no added power requirements). I plug in the HDMI cable to the monitor, connect a keyboard with trackpad and I'm done. I do have a power inverter to drive the all in one printer in the back but that's not an everyday occurrence.

I could have a laptop, but that would mean another item constantly running off the inverter plus a hotspot. The only added bulk with my Continuum setup are cables and a keyboard which stow neatly away in a pocket on the seat back. Call me crazy but I'm enjoying simplicity, not to mention the "holy sh*t!" looks from the uninitiated. That's priceless.

That's a very cool setup. You should take a picture sometime. I'd like to see it in action.
    editguy and Captain_Eric like this.
    03-11-2017 04:24 PM
    We have yet to see what Samsung's take on this subject will be. Just because Android has more apps means nothing, literally. Andromium is limited to a file browser and a forked Chrome-based browser. It's no better than a Chromebook and certainly less useful than Continuum.
    True, we have no idea what Samsung will come up with. AFAIK they have not officially announced their next device iterations. We don't even know if the S8 and Note 8 will be running Android. For all we know, they'll have W10M!

I did leave a sort of disclaimer in my post, "I believe...".
    aximtreo likes this.
    03-11-2017 09:36 PM
    If Samsung does a android "Continuum", would their user be less forgiving than WP users about scaling issues, or less scathing about how they don't need it either, this "its useless to me"...
    or if Apple does it.... my God, its revolutionary!!

... !!
    aximtreo likes this.
    03-12-2017 12:15 AM
    If Samsung does a android "Continuum", would their user be less forgiving than WP users about scaling issues, or less scathing about how they don't need it either, this "its useless to me"...
    or if Apple does it.... my God, its revolutionary!!

... !!
    If Apple did Continuum but using an OSX desktop it would be pretty epic to be fair :P

Android doesn't really have a well known and well used equivalent to push for a Continuum clone mind. I think that will be their disadvantage; it'll just be Android on a TV. It won't be Windows. Windows comes with very positive connotations in a desktop environment.
    raycpl likes this.
    03-12-2017 05:45 AM
    If Apple did Continuum but using an OSX desktop it would be pretty epic to be fair :P

Android doesn't really have a well known and well used equivalent to push for a Continuum clone mind. I think that will be their disadvantage; it'll just be Android on a TV. It won't be Windows. Windows comes with very positive connotations in a desktop environment.
    I feel the same. To be honest I don't need my android device to be blown up to be used elsewhere. It's just not that useful but as you said if it's Windows that's a different story for me.
    Zeem Frostmaw likes this.
    03-12-2017 09:10 AM
    I once had a pocket-sized computer back in the1980s, was the TRS-80 PC-1 Pocket Computer..
    I still have my Model 1 TRS-80 sitting next to my Macintosh SE/30.

Continuum really isn't that useful on it's own. There's no printer driver or scanner support, you can't join a domain, browser plugins are (obviously) non-existent, and W32 apps don't work.

That said, I do use it daily at work.

I have a remote cubicle where I spend an hour or two with some of my staff. Instead of a domain-joined desktop or laptop, I just plug my X3 into the monitor (24") and remote into my desktop in my office.

I'd like dual monitor support next so I'll work on that when we get in the next shipment of monitors.

Here's where I see continuum as a 1.0 release of an idea. Sure it works but it will be something more. Leveraging the cloud and connected apps, it will be the future of computing.

http://www.perfectreign.com/2017/03/personal-computing/

People my older son will each need their mega gaming desktop devices to play the latest game, edit video, or do heavy coding.

Both of my boys already use Google Education and not local installed Office for school work. Much of their personal life is in Skype or FaceTime. They don't need a desktop for moat of that. Even my older son wanted to show me a draft video, brought his Galaxy S7 out, and casted to our 42" TV instead of having me go in his room.

Sent from mTalk
    raycpl, slivy58 and HeyCori like this.
    03-12-2017 09:58 AM
    Continuum really isn't that useful on it's own. There's no printer driver or scanner support, you can't join a domain, browser plugins are (obviously) non-existent, and W32 apps don't work.
    I have an HP 8610 printer that works perfectly on Continuum.
    TgeekB, slivy58 and HeyCori like this.
    03-12-2017 11:18 AM
    Good to know.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    03-12-2017 11:24 AM
    There may be, as long as you're only doing simple tasks. I'm an engineer, so while I do use a fair bit of software that will run happily on a phone (MS office and email clients, for instance) there are programs where even laptops are a nuisance and I really want the grunt of a desktop.

The one aspect I'm not too sure about in a consumer sense is that you need a dedicated space to keep a monitor and peripherals. Basically with a continuum dock, you'll have everything except the box with the smarts. In my mind, might as well just add that, and have a whole discrete system that anyone can use, rather than the components waiting for someone to dock into. Meanwhile, if you already have a desktop or similar setup, it's not exactly neat to go from one to the other. With my desktop setup, I'd have to disconnect the monitor, keyboard and mouse to connect to the dock.

Workplaces, with laptop docks, have been doing it for ages. It's only logical that this would have a really good fit in the enterprise sector since it's only a hardware update, and it probably comes out much cheaper as well.
    03-15-2017 06:07 PM
    There may be, as long as you're only doing simple tasks. I'm an engineer, so while I do use a fair bit of software that will run happily on a phone (MS office and email clients, for instance) there are programs where even laptops are a nuisance and I really want the grunt of a desktop.

The one aspect I'm not too sure about in a consumer sense is that you need a dedicated space to keep a monitor and peripherals. Basically with a continuum dock, you'll have everything except the box with the smarts. In my mind, might as well just add that, and have a whole discrete system that anyone can use, rather than the components waiting for someone to dock into. Meanwhile, if you already have a desktop or similar setup, it's not exactly neat to go from one to the other. With my desktop setup, I'd have to disconnect the monitor, keyboard and mouse to connect to the dock.

Workplaces, with laptop docks, have been doing it for ages. It's only logical that this would have a really good fit in the enterprise sector since it's only a hardware update, and it probably comes out much cheaper as well.
    Absolutely agree. I think it's for a select group in Enterprise who don't deal with graphic intensive or processor intense programs.

I'm in the financial field and there's not a single program that I don't think would run perfectly fine on a mobile device if done properly.
    03-15-2017 08:05 PM
    My use case is evolving but I find that while having a work supplied laptop, I can still keep my personal stuff of it using continuum connected to the the work laptop. If I need more umph, I remote desktop connect to my personal machine.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid for silly reasons.
    03-15-2017 10:28 PM
    That any be. I've been unable to connect to our HP or Xerox printers and MFP devices on our print servers.

Sent from mTalk
    03-15-2017 10:56 PM
    I wonder if the MS played any hand in this electronics ban that may go a lot further than the initial cities
    03-27-2017 09:40 PM
    Not to revive a dead post, but I found difficulty finding Microsoft's HD-500 dock until very recently. Am I missing a vendor I should know about?

Also, has anyone tried using any of the Plugable docks, and if so, what's the compatibility like?
    04-04-2017 12:56 AM
51 123