Is Continuum the future of how a smartphone should be?

Ciscoca

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Hey, All

I am looking to get constructive feedback if you believe Continuum is the right mindset moving forward for mobile companies?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Continuum is a cool idea, but, for me, it's not even on my radar. I have used it once with my 950XL over the past year. It was neat, but somewhat underwhelming. I'm sure that there are all sorts of use case scenarios that would fit nicely with continuum, but unfortunately, even the success of continuum goes back to the abysmal app situation that plagues Windows Mobile. As of now, for me to use it, I'd have to carry my Android phone for a few vital work and pleasure apps, a Windows Mobile device for continuum, a mouse, a keyboard, and the continuum dock and cables. Not very efficient in reality. Continuum has a lot to overcome. I'm not sure it will survive and be a part of the mythical Surface Phone...maybe certain aspects of it, but not all. Just my thoughts.

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I absolutely love the idea, but I'm not entirely sure why.

The problem I see is I can't really come up with a scenario where it's truly beneficial to me. The only way I see it being practical is if I'm using it somewhere where there's already a monitor/keyboard/mouse, but not a computer. If you have to lug around a screen of some sort, why not just bring a laptop or a tablet?

I see the benefit of using it to stream video, but if it takes a $50+ dongle to connect it wirelessly to a screen, why not just use a streaming stick?

The only way I see it working in the long run is when the hardware and software have come far enough that it can entirely replace a device. With the type of work to do, it can't replace my work laptop. I game some, so it certainly can't replace my home desktop. My main TVs have either an X1 or a 360 and the other has a Roku stick so no need there either.

I have a few spare monitors and keyboards at home and have set up a secondary station for Continuum, but every time I've used it I just wonder why I'm not using my desktop.

I do see that it could be beneficial for running a small business where you don't need much more than simple Excel functionality and most of your time is spent doing other things... but you'd probably be better served with a $200 desktop or netbook and a $200 phone.

The big benefit is the mobility, but it requires screens and input devices be readily available wherever you want to use it so it's not as mobile as it seems.

RDP is another area I see good opportunity for legitimate use, but that's well beyond most users.

Mihai N

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Seeing how Samsung wants to do something similar with their DeX, you can say it has potential. But it needs apps to be even better. As for the hardware alone, the employee would have the phone and the dock, while the monitor, keyboard and mouse would be at the workplace

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey, All

I am looking to get constructive feedback if you believe Continuum is the right mindset moving forward for mobile companies?
Yep! Power users won't want it; it definitely can't replace high end graphics or anything like that. but casual users can have a phone and that's it. Why have an extra desktop when you can plug into the same components? especially if you are just browsing the web, facebook, youtube, whatever. W10m needs updates to help continuum, like extensions in edge. otherwise I've been using it with a sub $100 lapdock setup instead of my 4 year old laptop. Similar enough in performance to not care. still plays WoT Blitz, the most graphics intensive game I deal with.

Considering some people have invested in multiple systems that specialize in what they do (xbox, desktop gaming, etc), they won't move over to one device for everything. However a lot of people have that opportunity; they aren't doing game consoles at home, they aren't doing graphics at a desktop at home, they are just doing casual stuff.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I want one, and this is why:

I have a gaming desktop with three monitors (two are $20 Dell LCD business eWaste I got from Kijiji but work fine), which I do 99% of my computer work.

But sometimes, I have to bring a computer where I go - such as to go to the Library and plug into their wired LAN to download something when my home internet is being ****ty. An iPad can't do it, and I'm not going to **** with Android (and my BB is a bit sucky)

Thus I need a laptop as a second computer. But remember, I only use it about 1% of the time. Hell, I haven't used it in a month now. A $1,000 Surface is a complete waste. Right now I'm using a $200 RCA W101 2-in-1, which works except for a problem: If I leave it plugged in all the time I'll slowly destroy the battery, and it might get unplugged accidentally. But if I leave it off then it gets dangerously out of date and my OneDrive doesn't sync - and that's after disabling all the things that keep making it auto start and drain the battery.

Thus, Continuum. Because I always use it it is always charged and up to date, and the lapdock I can keep it in my bag and just throw it in the car when I know I'm going to need it (or better yet always leave it in my car). Which is why I'm really looking at the HP X3 bundle when I'm ready to upgrade (but it's like a whole paycheck so I'm going to have to wait).

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I think it should be the future of mobile devices, but I don't think it will be. It should be because ARM SoCs have reached the point where they can realistically compete with low-end Intel x86-64 processors, and for the tasks that the majority of people do on laptops (email, web surfing, movies, social media) they fulfill that role. The appeal of one device is high. Your phone, docked to any screen, becomes a laptop. When you're done, you simply unplug it and it's your phone again. Same information, same settings. It will be the one and only device you'll ever need to own unless you have a niche need for more horsepower.

It won't be the future because Microsoft is actively killing its mobile device business and the other companies don't seem to have the same mindset to push "the one device everywhere" concept.

As an aside, I use Continuum every single day-- I plug in my phone at work (work computers are firewalled and monitored for non-work use) and when I come home I use the LapDock on the couch. It's awesome and I hope MS does not abandon it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For anybody who uses a Chromebook, then Continuum is solid solution. Everything on a Chromebook is a web wrapper for the Chrome browser so you substitute Edge and you have the same effect. You can only use Chromecast for streaming to a bigger screen or use the HDMI wired option so Continuum has better wireless options. If you're kicking back on the couch watching the Falcons puttin' a hurt on pretty-boy Brady (hopefully), a wireless kb and mouse is certainly more handy.

That's the benefits for a typical consumer as I see it. For the power user, the Office365 capabilities built into Windows Mobile far exceed what iOS or Android offer. I'm sorry, there is no way anybody can convince me Outlook is better on those platforms. The threaded message handling alone is enough to make anybody gag. They made Outlook behave similarly to Gmail to appease those users rather than using the desktop-like UX on WM10.

Feel free to disagree but I'm not changing my mind. This is only my opinion.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I think it's a good idea but not the answer for MS since it will only be used by small slice of mobile users.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Let's remember, most people didn't think they'd have a use for a smartphone, or a computer in their homes for that matter. Let's see how it works out before claiming it won't work.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Anybody who used a Motorola Ultra Classic back in the 90s would disagree. We didn't call it the brick for nothing.
Haha.. I see your Motorola Ultra Classic, and raise you The Nokia Mobira Talkman 450
That was a beast to lug around. I was using that while working in remote areas in Borneo back in the mid-80s... Ah!! Technology will give you muscles. We're talking about carrying around kilograms of phone, not grams..

Later, I switched to a smaller sexy, svelte NEC Primero eX, another radio phone...

.... !!!

Last edited:

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
It has the potential to be, although Microsoft has yet to tap that potential. I'm sure many people would be happy to never have to update or configure a PC again, but just plug in their phone to a monitor and use that instead.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It has the potential to be, although Microsoft has yet to tap that potential. I'm sure many people would be happy to never have to update or configure a PC again, but just plug in their phone to a monitor and use that instead.

Exactly. One device, with you at all times. Less cost and maintenance.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't think so personally. It's a nice idea and handy to have...for some people. I've used it once or twice. I went to buy the Dispaly Dock adaptor for my 950xl then thought, why? I have a Surface Pro 2 and if I want to jump onto more pc like monitors or TV then I can use that or even dock that to a monitor or TV and have a proper powerful pc experience instead. I know not everyone has a Surface Pro to turn to instead so yeah it'll be better for them but until they really add a whole host of compatible apps (yes the age old app gap again) then it really has vert limited uses

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't think so personally. It's a nice idea and handy to have...for some people. I've used it once or twice. I went to buy the Dispaly Dock adaptor for my 950xl then thought, why? I have a Surface Pro 2 and if I want to jump onto more pc like monitors or TV then I can use that or even dock that to a monitor or TV and have a proper powerful pc experience instead. I know not everyone has a Surface Pro to turn to instead so yeah it'll be better for them but until they really add a whole host of compatible apps (yes the age old app gap again) then it really has vert limited uses

I think that's the plan but it will take time.
I just bought a SP4, but why spend that much money if I could just buy a dummy laptop/tablet for a LOT less and plug my phone into it?
Plus, think about being out somewhere; an airport, hotel, wherever they could have inexpensive terminals and you could plug right in. I think it's the right idea though it will take time to be fully implemented.
Remember, at one time IBM and others said no one would want computers in their homes. We have to always think out of the box.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Not seeing it myself either, Continuum may be "cool" yet for me that is short-lived. Cannot, at this stage of the game, see it replacing a higher-end laptop/tablet where horsepower is a necessity when performing multiple tasks at once or doing some serious photo and video editing. Multiple-use locations would require a laptop-like dock or multiple KBs, monitors , etc which would cost extra $$$, again resulting in a setup that lacks horsepower and having its limits.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Not seeing it myself either, Continuum may be "cool" yet for me that is short-lived. Cannot, at this stage of the game, see it replacing a higher-end laptop/tablet where horsepower is a necessity when performing multiple tasks at once or doing some serious photo and video editing. Multiple-use locations would require a laptop-like dock or multiple KBs, monitors , etc which would cost extra $$$, again resulting in a setup that lacks horsepower and having its limits.

I don't have the technical background to dispute you, all I know is it is changing rapidly. Computers once took up large rooms and now we carry small ones in our pockets. You have to think they will be able to take on larger/multiple tasks at some point.
I'm just glad MS is looking ahead and not fighting a losing battle with the current smartphone market, which is stagnant in my view. Blaze new trails.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't have the technical background to dispute you, all I know is it is changing rapidly. Computers once took up large rooms and now we carry small ones in our pockets. You have to think they will be able to take on larger/multiple tasks at some point.
I'm just glad MS is looking ahead and not fighting a losing battle with the current smartphone market, which is stagnant in my view. Blaze new trails.

I once had a pocket-sized computer back in the1980s, was the TRS-80 PC-1 Pocket Computer. Many strides made since those days yet a lot of years have passed too. I can't see phones, as we know them today, competing with the big boys (PCs) due to them lacking the required hardware, nor do I think technology is advanced enough to allow them to do so. So essentially Continuum is just a secondary means, under a different environment, to do some light computing, and any heavy-handed chores will still need to be done with a "real" computer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)