What's your Continuum Setup?

Ventus221

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe its because of the deluge of anti Windows Phone articles about switching to other platforms that kinda spurred me to write this. But what's your. Continuum set up?

A few things to note:

1. List your device; it must be Continuum compatible (self explanatory).

2. Accessories that you use (Keyboards, Mice, Monitor, Speakers, etc).

3. Type of connection ( Wired or Wireless).

So for myself.

1. ALCATEL idol 4S.

2. Microsoft Arc Keyboard and Mouse, PlayStation 3D monitor, Braven BR1 Bluetooth Speaker, and a usb hub. I also a nexdock laptop for Continuum when I'm not at home.

3. My setup is mostly wired. I use an incipio usb-c dock for when I'm home and a wireless display adapter, in my living room.

Generally, this is my daily driver setup. I have a core set of applications that are unable on WP, and what I do for for work or school never goes beyond what I need from office or something super casual. I love it and it's easily something that I have heavily bought into, but what's your own set up? Let me know below.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
1. Microsoft 950

2. Logitech K830 Wireless Keyboard & Trackpad at home AND tradition wired keyboard and mouse at work. 55 inch TV Vizio TV at home, 24 inch Dell monitor at work

3. wireless at home wired at work!

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
My setup at home is simple

950XL + Wireless Display Adaptor + an old 40in LG TV... mainly for playing music thru Groove or vids on mTube.

In the office
950XL + a budget Acer laptop (i5, 4GB RAM) + wired mouse + wired full keyboard + importantly, a Dell 15in monitor as secondary monitor.

I don't use the company LAN so my web access was previously on phones or using those phones as hotspot... that is until now
I couldn't get hold of the display hub so I'm using project to laptop, which is where all my phone projections goes ie to the Dell 2nd monitor.
It works, those universal apps works well, albeit slight lag. Scaling and resolution needs improvement
Pros - being productive like a boss!!. And I think I save a bundle on data usage (I let you guys figure it out yourself).
I'm a heavy user of WhatsApp, which is not supported on continuum. But the work around is to use their web version on Edge (ditto for FB, Telegram etc)

Oh. My phone is on the Nokia wireless charger so the battery level doesn't get depleted

My 2 cents

... !!

Last edited:

Ibodnano

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
i have just bought Microsoft wireless display adaptor version 2/arc touch mouse and foldable keyboard, can someone confirm that Spoticast/Songify/Perfect Tube/myTube works perfectly on my continuum setup?

Rick Austinson

Jun 6, 2017
Visit site
Weird. Do these people not quite understand how commerce works? How, if you offer a product for sale, people will buy it it? Not selling products is a good way to go out of business.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I hard reset my 950XL couple of days back - and just got around to wirelessly project my phone to laptop.... (see my previous post, on my office setup which is without the dock)

Seems the phone no longer support the use of mouse/keyboard that is plug to the laptop.... bummer
(Did the last build 15223 removed the feature???)

my work-around is to attach a multiple USB-port to my 950 (using OTG), and plug in the mouse & keyboard. All are plain vanila USB peripherals.
and all is good again....

still lags though....

...!

73blazer

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I use Continuum on my HP Elite X3 as a means to work for my small business. I keep an HP deskdock at each of my two customers where I have a cube and it's hooked to their network, I can VPN to my office network and use remote desktop preview with their windows boxes, or mine. Every office I visit is moving to virtual blades anyway for most things, and if your an admin you need to RDP to various servers, or in my case, SSH to several different AIX machines in shells.
Since it's wired, it works very well. That mouse speed thing really needs addressed though, on large monitors it's a killer picking up the mouse three times to just get across the screen.
When not in an office, I travel with my HP LapDock and while it has a few quirks, it does work very well, especially in wired mode.
I used to use a 950XL with a MS display dock, but no Ethernet port on the MS display dock kills it. The companies I work at don't run wireless networks they allow contractors to hook to, only wireless for general web surfing outside which would get me to my office, but not the one I'm sitting in to do work for.
Continuum is a game changer for me, makes traveling very very light.
Two guys that work for me are doing the same thing. When I first started doing it I carried my giant laptop around just in case W10 mobile/continuum failed me. But I stopped doing that pretty quickly. So I depend on it now. My favorite part of the day arriving and leaving, instead of waiting 5 mins for my stupid laptop to shutdown (sleep never worked after upgrading to W10) and unplugging 5 cables (external mon, keyboard,mouse,power,network), all I have to do is pick my phone off the dock, and leave. Same with arriving, no connecting cables, no booting up, re-launching all your apps, just drop the phone in the dock, and go. And my desk looks super clean now, monitor, keyboard, mouse and dock. The HP setup is key. The deskdock works awesome. I'd use their workspace, but basically it's just a Win machine in the cloud your paying heavily for and have restricted admin access to, no need when you can run your own cloud machines will full access.

Continuum saves me time, works great, and is perfect for the way I work. I could care less about apps and games and social media BS. But I do need connections without the heft carting around tons of stuff just to function.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I use Continuum on my HP Elite X3 as a means to work for my small business. I keep an HP deskdock at each of my two customers where I have a cube and it's hooked to their network, I can VPN to my office network and use remote desktop preview with their windows boxes, or mine. Every office I visit is moving to virtual blades anyway for most things, and if your an admin you need to RDP to various servers, or in my case, SSH to several different AIX machines in shells.
Since it's wired, it works very well. That mouse speed thing really needs addressed though, on large monitors it's a killer picking up the mouse three times to just get across the screen.
When not in an office, I travel with my HP LapDock and while it has a few quirks, it does work very well, especially in wired mode.
I used to use a 950XL with a MS display dock, but no Ethernet port on the MS display dock kills it. The companies I work at don't run wireless networks they allow contractors to hook to, only wireless for general web surfing outside which would get me to my office, but not the one I'm sitting in to do work for.
Continuum is a game changer for me, makes traveling very very light.
Two guys that work for me are doing the same thing. When I first started doing it I carried my giant laptop around just in case W10 mobile/continuum failed me. But I stopped doing that pretty quickly. So I depend on it now. My favorite part of the day arriving and leaving, instead of waiting 5 mins for my stupid laptop to shutdown (sleep never worked after upgrading to W10) and unplugging 5 cables (external mon, keyboard,mouse,power,network), all I have to do is pick my phone off the dock, and leave. Same with arriving, no connecting cables, no booting up, re-launching all your apps, just drop the phone in the dock, and go. And my desk looks super clean now, monitor, keyboard, mouse and dock. The HP setup is key. The deskdock works awesome. I'd use their workspace, but basically it's just a Win machine in the cloud your paying heavily for and have restricted admin access to, no need when you can run your own cloud machines will full access.

Continuum saves me time, works great, and is perfect for the way I work. I could care less about apps and games and social media BS. But I do need connections without the heft carting around tons of stuff just to function.
Besides the lack of ethernet, what, if any, differences do you note between the 950 and the x3? I'm referring to operational differences between the two. I read somewhere that the x3 Continuum feature was tweaked a bit by HP so I'm curious since I'm getting an x3 this week.

73blazer

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Besides the lack of ethernet, what, if any, differences do you note between the 950 and the x3? I'm referring to operational differences between the two. I read somewhere that the x3 Continuum feature was tweaked a bit by HP so I'm curious since I'm getting an x3 this week.

The continuum experience seems the same to me. aside from being just a bit faster because of the ethernet port ... not faster really, less laggy... than the 950xl w/ms display dock . I'm sure they did tweak it some for use with the lapdock, as it can connect many ways like miracast, nfc or wired. They have special tools (apps) that deal with the screen timeouts, you can have different screen timeouts for phone and connected display , I see that is one feature being asked for from MS that HP has just done on their own.
The actual continuum part, seems to be the same though.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'll be getting rid of my NexDock. I wasn't aware that I could use my Surface 3 as a wireless Continuum monitor. The Type Cover functions wonderfully as the keyboard and trackpad.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'll be getting rid of my NexDock. I wasn't aware that I could use my Surface 3 as a wireless Continuum monitor. The Type Cover functions wonderfully as the keyboard and trackpad.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk
I do that to my Acer laptop, but onto a secondary monitor....

Edit: I used to be able to use both a usb mouse & keyboard plugged into the laptop, and work on the projected display with continuum, but this no longer work since the last insider build (15226)
...!!

Last edited:

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
1. Microsoft Lumia 950

2. Microsoft Universal Foldable Keyboard, Microsoft Wedge mouse, headphones (sometimes bluetooth sometimes wired), different Samsung monitors.

3. Wired via MS Display Dock.

P.S.: Looking forward to second generation of NexDock.

ashyu

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
1. Lumia 950 XL
2. Rii Ultra-Thin Bluetooth keyboard and unbranded Bluetooth mouse; or Logitech K380 keyboard and onscreen trackpad.
3. At home, I use a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter on a Samsung TV. At work, the conference rooms TVs are Miracast compatible, so Continuum works great with them without any additional hardware. For some reason, one conference room also has a dedicated Actiontec Miracast receiver, but I'm pretty sure the Samsung TV it's connected to supports Miracast natively already.

It's amazing to be able to just bring my phone to a meeting and wirelessly connect it to the TV to go over PowerPoint presentations, etc. rather than lugging my whole laptop (very heavy workstation-grade laptop!).

I have an HD-500 as well, and also a generic USB Type-C dongle with HDMI, USB 3.0 and Ethernet; however, I don't use those as much anymore since picking up the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter for cheap second hand.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Liquid Jade Primo with included dock, keyboard and mouse. Added a USB 3.0 Gigabyte adapter (to be able to print to my network printers) and a 22" Samsung monitor. The ethernet adapter also helps because the WiFi at my office sucks and it's a place where ALL cellular signals go to die.

WIN_20170906_13_12_02_Pro.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs