Continuum review and feedback.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
here is my general feedback om continuum, if M$ wants to be serious about calling this a game changing feature, it needs to be better, here is a start:
No running multiple Windows. Allow resize of windows and multi window Support.
Edge has some sort of a bug that makes Windows reload while you're browsing them.
Allow gestures in Edge for back.
Mail app is good, other apps, such as messaging, don’t scale as well.
Should show all apps next to Windows start screen just like win 10.
Allow background activities to run.
Give a dedicated device with more RAM that gets bundled with a dock.
In general needs more performance. Right now it’s a good promise, maybe 835 or some other bigger processor will fill that gap. I used it on snapdragon 808.
All apps should work in continuum one way or another.
Personally if you use a highres monitor e.g. 2160p, I would like the start screen to be always pinned to the left as it is good at providing updates and quickly launching apps.

Last edited:

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Give a dedicated device with more memory that gets bundled with a dock.
What exactly would you achieve with this? You can use USB Flash drives or up to 256 GB SD card. If you're talking about RAM well then there's not much you'd achieve with it since OS is limited to 3.5 GB RAM right now.

In my opinion the only missing thing is a dock with a fan (Samsung Dex dock does have a dedicated fan that kicks in to cool the phone when it gets too hot).

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're talking about RAM well then there's not much you'd achieve with it since OS is limited to 3.5 GB RAM right now.

In my opinion the only missing thing is a dock with a fan (Samsung Dex dock does have a dedicated fan that kicks in to cool the phone when it gets too hot).

Yes, I meant RAM, so you can run multiple things without them deloading in the background. Fix the OS to support more than 3.5GB.
Fan would help too.

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had the 950 for about two years and here are my experiences with Continuum. First a little setup, I am a college professor in the physical sciences so I move between classrooms, labs, my office and administrative meetings all day. I also have a work-provided Thinkpad ultrabook and a personal Surface 3. I bought the 950 to replace my 1020 and I like W10M. My phone is on the Fast Ring.

My desk continuum setup is a MS dock and a Wireless MS Comfort Keyboard/Mouse, but more often I use Continuum through a wireless setup with a MS wireless receiver, MS sculpt keyboard, and MS designer mouse.

Overall I like Continuum and think it has a lot of potential. In my use patterns it is easy to switch between rooms I need to present in by simply moving my wireless dongle. The 950 does fine in presentation mode wirelessly and does not get excessively warm while running Office, Wolfram Alpha, or other "academic" apps.

Thinks I wish I had. Windowing would be number one, I miss the ability to resize when using Continuum at my desk. A close second would be to get rid of the UWP single instance limitation, sometimes I would like one Excel file open next to another. Third, and this one is due to the subject I teach (chemistry), is pen entry, in Organic Chemistry it would be nice to be able to draw with more precision than my finger (I typically use my Surface 3 for this).

Overall I think it is an excellent idea with typical first-generation issues. Hopefully the evolution into CShell will improve on it.

RicaChero

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Amen. I see every usage scenario you've mentioned. It is a real shame that I don't see too much excitement for Continuum. It can change the way a school works if further developed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs