Best Continuum phone?

Tourniquet

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Heya :)

I've got a couple of questions and maybe some of you could help me out a bit :)

1. How does the Lumia 950 perform compared to the Lumia 950 XL?
2. Are the Idol 4s or the HP Elite x3 significantly faster than the Lumia 950 XL?

I've got a Lumia 950 XL and use continuum quite often. I've noticed since RS2 the phone and continuum got a bit faster, but edge and videos can still be a bit choppy via miracast.

The only reason I would switch to an Idol 4s or the Elite x3 would be if continuum is faster. 3. So would it be worth to upgrade?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The elite x3 is an upgrade from the 950XL on almost all fronts except the camera, as it's pretty average in comparison to the 950XL.

Personally I'd say wait awhile before jumping in and getting the X3.

Unless your 950XL is on it's last legs and you need a phone asap - which has to be a windows phone then by all means go for the x3.

Never the less I would recommend if you can see and test one out in person before spending your hard earned cash :).

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
The Miracast might have more to do with the receiving device, I have a projector that hates it (very choppy), and a 42" television in the office that works without the mentioned hiccups that pointed out. I generally use the 950XL on the dock for presentations that are media heavy and it works just fine, HD video and all. Don't have the X3 but have seen it in action for the same functions, it is slightly faster, but not $599 faster in my opinion.

Tourniquet

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
The Miracast has a lot to do with 15063. I tried out the Alcatel Idol 4s some weeks ago. I upgraded it to feature2 and noticed that the Miracast quality was dramatically worse than on my Lumia 950 XL. After testing it out a bit, I came to the conclusion that it was indeed 15063 etc.

Now that I upgraded my Lumia 950 XL to RS2 I can confirm that to 100%. Ever since I upgraded the Miracast quality went down dramatically.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't fall asleep on the Acer Liquid Jade Primo. I've had the 950, 950XL, Elite x3 and the Idol and I can say unequivocally that the Primo outperforms all of them on Continuum. On the Acer dock there is no heating up whatsoever and the camera is just a notch below the 950s. The x3 can have display rotation issues every now and then and it's the 2nd best Continuum phone. While the Idol is a solid performer, the camera is just plain garbage 95% of the time. The 950s heat up too much and run into throttling problems requiring soft reboots.

The Acer has its own issues like no official path even to Anniversary Update although updating through the Windows Insider app is achievable but not for the feint of heart. That being said, it handles Continuum better than any Windows phone.

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
I do like the package deal that comes with the Jade, but not much success with ACER hardware in General. I really wish ASUS would have gotten into the WP game at least a bit.

RicaChero

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
In my experience, the HP Elite x3 has been my best. So much that it surpassed my 950 XL in daily usage. I live in Continuum now, aside from heavy lifting from my Surface Book.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos