Cheap Continuum Display...HP Stream 14 paired to Acer Jade.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
This may only be of interest to X3 owners/Users but others with Continuum may find it of use as well.

Found an Open Box item marked down for sale ( when the price is worth it I will buy someones returned item), like new in box.

Now you may say it's crazy to buy a Windows 10 Laptop to use as a Continuum display, but hear me out.

True the Stream has lower specs and almost no storage.....but it has battery and screen and keyboard and track pad however if you pair a bluetooth mouse with the laptop, you can use it in continuum and there is less lag over pairing mouse with phone.
WP_20180121_04_18_25_Pro (2).jpg

So with the Stream you also get 1 year Office 365, but Word and One Note that is on the Phone is good enough for me.

So any Office uses I have can be done with the phone/continuum, and the laptop can cover games, media, looking about the INTERNET.

Now after a year is up I can open the lap top up and add in a PCIe SSD to add storage, the trade off is wifi and bluetooth will have to be done by dongle.

However after you do a fresh install of Windows 10 and dump all the bloat HP stuffs in the eMMC you have a good amount of storage + the SD card slot + One Drive.

The only thing I can't do ( that the full HP X3 package can), that I know of yet, is plug into the Phones USB C jack and the side USB and connect Continuum for wired connection. No matter Wireless works well enough.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I know the hack is out there to pop Continuum on lesser Lumias and I am almost tempted to try my 640 XL ( Cyan ) with the HP Stream LOL

Have a matching set :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I did Continuum using my Surface 3 as the laptop shell and it worked great except there were a few apps such Outlook where it wouldn't show. A message would come up saying protected information is blocked. Or words to that effect.

To that end, the trackpad functioned perfectly with the phone so no extra peripherals were needed.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I did Continuum using my Surface 3 as the laptop shell and it worked great except there were a few apps such Outlook where it wouldn't show. A message would come up saying protected information is blocked. Or words to that effect.

To that end, the trackpad functioned perfectly with the phone so no extra peripherals were needed.

That message does show in the Action Center, I had guessed there was a setting I have to change....

I haven't tried email yet, but the easy work around would be to disconnect Continuum and use either the Laptop or the phone on it's own.

I'll take a peak this weekend to see if I can find what setting to change. I don't access my works network with any of my hardware apart from email sent from an outside account. So I could see this being an issue from a road pro.

Any one have an off the top of the head idea where to look?

Dono Newcomb

Battery life is good to fair, it reviews well as a laptop for a Student. However I am using the battery mainly to power the the laptop as display and provide the Phone some juice if needed.

The one thing it does not have is a USB that stays powered when the laptop is off. At a budget price I can't complain too much :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That message does show in the Action Center, I had guessed there was a setting I have to change....

I haven't tried email yet, but the easy work around would be to disconnect Continuum and use either the Laptop or the phone on it's own.

I'll take a peak this weekend to see if I can find what setting to change. I don't access my works network with any of my hardware apart from email sent from an outside account. So I could see this being an issue from a road pro.

Any one have an off the top of the head idea where to look?

Dono Newcomb

Battery life is good to fair, it reviews well as a laptop for a Student. However I am using the battery mainly to power the the laptop as display and provide the Phone some juice if needed.

The one thing it does not have is a USB that stays powered when the laptop is off. At a budget price I can't complain too much :)
No settings to change, it's a security feature. Doesn't make any sense to me but that's the way it is.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Is this the same on the X3 and Lapdock? I've never tinkered with the Lapdock so I can only guess it's like the Acer Dock and this message does not show.

If this is the case then it could be something in Miracast. I can see this being good when you connect Continuum to say a Roku....but a Windows to Windows should be secure when on a secured network.

Oh well.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's a Continuum thing. Changing to a mirrored display shouldn't be an issue other than the experience not being the same.

Sent from my Lumia 950 on mTalk

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
But stream is more powerful than the jadeprimo no? So in this case, why do it? Just use the stream?

The Stream 14 may have a more powerful chip but it's limited with a 32 Gb eMMC. Yes it has a full size SD slot and 3 usb ports, however the SD Card can not be left in as it has over hang.

The Acer Jade has tons of Storage and the Snapdragon 808 is very good at running full screen apps for Office use. This way I keep things separated, work on the phone and goof around on the laptop.

The Stream is basically like a dumb display for Continuum and extra battery for the phone if needed.

If you compare my set up to the full HP X3 + Lapdock, I am in for just under $500 and the only thing I can't do that the HP X3 can is wired Continuum.

The X3 + Lapdock requires paid web portal to run any X86 software....in a pinch the Stream could run anything X86 related my phone can't run. Adobe Photoshop CS2 is the only software I use and even that is overkill for my needs.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking about another project to try as a Continuum display an Old school Netbook like Samsung N150 Plus.

There are a few out there dirt cheep, and from what I have been reading they could be very upgradeable.....

They come standard with 1 Gb DDR3 Ram ( the non Plus is only DDR2 ), and I found a seller with a 4Gb stick DDR3 that matches specs.

Just not sure Miracast is supported......but it would be nice to have a 10.1" Continuum display :) With a better drive Windows 10 and 4 Gb Ram.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Check the video card they used and see if it’s supported. Sucks when you spend money only to find something doesn’t work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss