Used Continuum today for a laugh...still works really well

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I was a Continuum early adopter. As soon as it became available in early 2016, I bought the puck and jumped right in.

At first it was just a fun experiment, but within a few weeks I could see where Microsoft wanted to go with the concept, and I was completely bought in.

Continuum became my daily driver. For 2 years I didn't pick up a laptop. I ran my entire business from Continuum.

Back then, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 where virtually identical, from a front end perspective. From a daily driver perspective, there was very little that Continuum couldn't do.

This was the future.

The only downside, I found, was that my Lumia 950 battery was degrading quickly. Within a year of (8-10 hours a day) Continuum usage, the battery would barely last 5 hours.

But so what. The Lumia opened up, and batteries were cheap. So I bought a few spares and away I went.

Unfortunately, by the end of 2017, Windows Mobile was dead, and Continuum was a victim by association.

The death of Continuum annoyed me greatly. It was such a huge advancement on pocket sized pc technology, and to give up on it was stupid.

Microsoft were onto something. I imagined them bringing out an enterprise bundle....phone, puck and surface pro sized screen with built in battery in one box. I would have bought that.

People walked into my office and saw Continuum at work and were astounded. They would have bought it too. In fact, a handful did. And they weren't traditional Windows Mobile users, but they were intrigued enough to want to try it out.

And why not? From a freelance consultant through to small/medium business perspective, Continuum offered huge savings potential. No more phones AND laptops. Just a phone, a screen and a OneDrive account to tie all your data to a safe storage point. That was literally all that was needed.

There's little doubt in my mind that walking away from Continuum was literally the stupidest act of short-sighted idiotic miscalculation that Microsoft have committed in the past 5 years.

It was a platinum opportunity for them to rebrand Windows Mobile as a pocketable pc enterprise solution. Continuum would have kept Windows Mobile alive. Of that, I have no doubt.

Anyway, I moved on. Bought an Android device, dusted off my Surface pro and got on with life.

Last night I found the old puck and phone setup lying in a shoebox. It hasn't been used in over a year.

I hooked it up and I'll be damned if it doesn't work nearly.....nearly.....as well as it did back in 2017.

Sure, some websites (cough...windows central...cough) don't load very well, some apps don't work at all, and it feels in need of a meaningful refresh, but it works.

I could open all my buisness focussed websites, my work database, my office documents, my email, OneDrive and maps It all worked.

And everything I was doing on my laptop at the office yesterday was right there on my phone, it connected to the cloud seamlessly and just grabbed everything.

I could literally start using Continuum today, as though the last 14 months in a shoebox never happened.

But I won't. Because Windows 10 Mobile is travelling toward a brick wall. A few months from now, it'll be a completely abandoned remnant of something with great potential.

To those at Microsoft who would have dedicated thousands of hours to the creation of Continuum, I don't know if you'll ever see this, but well done and thank you for the experience.

Your employer is a buffoon who doesn't deserve you.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Cool story brother! I had a continuum puck and 950 back in the day also. I was also a big fan of BlackBerry Blend as well.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
We're waiting on some new laptops to come in and I needed to get some work done in the office. I keep my SP with me but I leave the charger at home since I don't ordinarily use it that much. Just then it hit me how easy it would've been to do a Continuum session for what I needed to do. Truly a missed opportunity especially if you've tasted the copycat efforts by Samsung and more recently, Huawei. Truth be told, Huawei's iteration is very polished - much more than DeX.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I was a Continuum early adopter. As soon as it became available in early 2016, I bought the puck and jumped right in.

At first it was just a fun experiment, but within a few weeks I could see where Microsoft wanted to go with the concept, and I was completely bought in.

Continuum became my daily driver. For 2 years I didn't pick up a laptop. I ran my entire business from Continuum.

Back then, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 where virtually identical, from a front end perspective. From a daily driver perspective, there was very little that Continuum couldn't do.

This was the future.

The only downside, I found, was that my Lumia 950 battery was degrading quickly. Within a year of (8-10 hours a day) Continuum usage, the battery would barely last 5 hours.

But so what. The Lumia opened up, and batteries were cheap. So I bought a few spares and away I went.

Unfortunately, by the end of 2017, Windows Mobile was dead, and Continuum was a victim by association.

The death of Continuum annoyed me greatly. It was such a huge advancement on pocket sized pc technology, and to give up on it was stupid.

Microsoft were onto something. I imagined them bringing out an enterprise bundle....phone, puck and surface pro sized screen with built in battery in one box. I would have bought that.

People walked into my office and saw Continuum at work and were astounded. They would have bought it too. In fact, a handful did. And they weren't traditional Windows Mobile users, but they were intrigued enough to want to try it out.

And why not? From a freelance consultant through to small/medium business perspective, Continuum offered huge savings potential. No more phones AND laptops. Just a phone, a screen and a OneDrive account to tie all your data to a safe storage point. That was literally all that was needed.

There's little doubt in my mind that walking away from Continuum was literally the stupidest act of short-sighted idiotic miscalculation that Microsoft have committed in the past 5 years.

It was a platinum opportunity for them to rebrand Windows Mobile as a pocketable pc enterprise solution. Continuum would have kept Windows Mobile alive. Of that, I have no doubt.

Anyway, I moved on. Bought an Android device, dusted off my Surface pro and got on with life.

Last night I found the old puck and phone setup lying in a shoebox. It hasn't been used in over a year.

I hooked it up and I'll be damned if it doesn't work nearly.....nearly.....as well as it did back in 2017.

Sure, some websites (cough...windows central...cough) don't load very well, some apps don't work at all, and it feels in need of a meaningful refresh, but it works.

I could open all my buisness focussed websites, my work database, my office documents, my email, OneDrive and maps It all worked.

And everything I was doing on my laptop at the office yesterday was right there on my phone, it connected to the cloud seamlessly and just grabbed everything.

I could literally start using Continuum today, as though the last 14 months in a shoebox never happened.

But I won't. Because Windows 10 Mobile is travelling toward a brick wall. A few months from now, it'll be a completely abandoned remnant of something with great potential.

To those at Microsoft who would have dedicated thousands of hours to the creation of Continuum, I don't know if you'll ever see this, but well done and thank you for the experience.

Your employer is a buffoon who doesn't deserve you.

This was a fantastic read, thank you! I bought all the Continuum stuff, played with it, back in the day, and I liked it too. But people around me who saw it saw how limited it was and as soon as they knew it was powered by a Window phone they weren't interested.

Who remembers the Continuum video from MS with new features that were promised, like more than one app at a time? Sadly that never happened.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsofts-next-version-continuum-what-it-should-have-been-start

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
This was a fantastic read, thank you! I bought all the Continuum stuff, played with it, back in the day, and I liked it too. But people around me who saw it saw how limited it was and as soon as they knew it was powered by a Window phone they weren't interested.

Who remembers the Continuum video from MS with new features that were promised, like more than one app at a time? Sadly that never happened.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsofts-next-version-continuum-what-it-should-have-been-start
It's weird. The generations around only know and see the platform they mostly use with their social accounts and media. Mostly either an Android device or iOS device. Developers aren't going to flock where the users aren't so Microsoft shifted themselves in this one. Continuum. Light years ahead but Windows phones were decades apart from that mission. Too bad.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It's weird. The generations around only know and see the platform they mostly use with their social accounts and media. Mostly either an Android device or iOS device. Developers aren't going to flock where the users aren't so Microsoft shifted themselves in this one. Continuum. Light years ahead but Windows phones were decades apart from that mission. Too bad.

Yes, Continuum was another good idea that MS decided to just abandon and never fully realise.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Continuum was an innocent bystander that got caught in the crossfire, I don’t know that Microsoft abandoned it per se.
My reasoning on that too. It's still one of those ideas/additions to Windows though that will always be around. Kinda like the task switcher. It will only be improved and added upon over time.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
My reasoning on that too. It's still one of those ideas/additions to Windows though that will always be around. Kinda like the task switcher. It will only be improved and added upon over time.

I always hoped that we are least got those extra Continuum features that MS teased several years back. But we didn't.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Yep. They need Mobile-like devices to show case that, which they don't have anymore... At least not yet.

Morning :)

Do you think they'll release another device with Continuum?

I'm not so sure anymore.

If Andromeda had arrived, then yes, although it was going to be running a fuller version of windows on arm than the old windows phone OS, you could still see a small to large screen scenario that made sense.

But with Andromeda hibernating/paused/dead/buried, where does that leave continuum development?

No small screen device effectively means no need for continuum.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Morning :)

Do you think they'll release another device with Continuum?

I'm not so sure anymore.

If Andromeda had arrived, then yes, although it was going to be running a fuller version of windows on arm than the old windows phone OS, you could still see a small to large screen scenario that made sense.

But with Andromeda hibernating/paused/dead/buried, where does that leave continuum development?

No small screen device effectively means no need for continuum.
Not necessarily or not as we saw it with the Lumia 50 series line. It was a hilight back then. Continuum is now more like a built in feature for Windows allbeit just for the ARM version at the time (W10M). Dan shared about this a while back. I think it's most likely rolled into the cshell and will be part of coreos or whatever iteration they need it in when it arrives.

Martin_Hofman

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
As I wrote in an other continuum forum I still using it almost daily on work and it's working very well when using OneDrive, Outlook, Edge and Office apps like Word, OneNote, Excel but also Yammer, SharePoint, Steam all working. I hope MS will bring a device like a phone on Windows 10 with a continuum in it! And same answers what to do with this HD500 next year?

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I gave it a go for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I changed jobs and got issued a dell laptop with a USB-C dock. I forgot to bring my phone cable, and because my L950 has woeful battery life, I plugged it in to give it that little bit of a charge to see me out for the day. It fired up continuum, so I thought I'd give it a go.

My thoughts are, the industry is going to move in this direction, it's just too easy and useful. Laptops are basically running with the concept, albeit to run their docks instead, and it could have really found a foothold where you have the potential of running a laptop, or a phone. Thing is, MS doesn't put USB-C on their surface pros. If they reconfigured the concept of the boardroom, it could easily find a place there, where the VGA cable is still all pervasive.

I think this is an area that google could really strike and get at MS where it hurts. It's just a matter of someone integrating it all together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos