Cortana to beat Siri and Google Now?

MicrosoftFoLife

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure Cortana is really a Siri or Google Now beater. I think a lot of people don't seem to understand what Siri or Google Now can do. For example, Siri is totally contextual and can pull details out of text messages and emails, and Google Now already has a notebook with all the info it has on you. So I'm not sure why the notebook is so innovative. It's not. The only couple things that are new are the fact that you can integrate apps into it. This was available in WP8 but was never used to it's full extent, and I don't expect WP8.1 to be much better in that regard. Also, being able to remind based on triggers like a phone call might be new. But I'm not sure. Lastly, being able to say first one, last one, second one, looks like it's new too.

In any case, it looks cool, and it combines the best of Siri and Google Now, but I wouldn't call any of it innovative. I'm a big WP ****** and when I was showing off what Cortana could do based off of the earlier leaks to my Apple fanboys, they were able to do all of the same things including getting flight info, time to work, traffic, stocks, weather, etc.... So maybe someone can educate me as to what Cortana can do that is so innovative?

Thanks!

Its just that its innovative for Microsoft. Like you said, they took the good things from both Siri and GN. Every platform has this "feature". Its just that Microsoft hasn't been in the phone race for very long so they're catching up.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh you mean to say google maps suck compare to here maps in India.plz don't comedy i think you don't understand the capabilities of google maps location finding.it is way better than here maps.atleast in Chennai it is the best nokia maps is not giving all info i want but with google map i can find any location anywhere.i do not know about other parts of world.Google maps will remain uncrowned monarch for years to come.i do not talk about offline capability becoz it does not have it.but searching any place is a breeze.

google maps is not too accurate in Mumbai. I've got lost twice, there are wrong addresses too.
Here maps hasn't let me down at all.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
That's not the case in Chennai

This is not the right topic/ thread to discus maps , but here maps works good in New Delhi. Better than google maps which always need internet connection , here maps have turn by turn navigation in hindi,offline without any advertisements.
Back on topic , yes she does beat , she will smoke Siri and google now in coming months when she rolls out for more country and languages. (It's still in beta , when Siri was first launched with iOS 5 , it was in beta which now has improved with lots of new features in iOS 7 and cortana and do them too)

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Depends, I'm not familiar with Siri or Google Now, but after watching a CNET show down between those two I'm surprised at some of the "highlights".

For example, Siri in IO7 just got the ability to open apps through voice?

Overall I'd like to know does Google Now even have the context basing that Joe showed off in the keynote? (e.g. which ones take reservations?)
Because if it doesn't then I'd say yes. Hopefully MS will keep pushing at an aggressive pace.

Additionally, considering the bulk of Cortana is on the back end with Bing and given that Apple now uses Bing for search queries, it's only a matter of time before Cortana gets really good at natural language.

Kashyapjani

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, she is 'Cortana' for a start. :)
Integration with 3rd party apps if done innovatively, it will definitely blow Siri and GNow out of the water.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
My opinion to such thing, is just like my opinion of WP in general against other OSs. When I compare, I don't look at it in terms of form and function, as those are flexible, the most important thing is concept, if you have the right concept when you are designing you will achieve great results, within your concept though. Apple, is made to make peoples life easier. android is made as an information channel to Google. Windows Phone, helps people receive information they care about quickly.

Now in terms of personal assistance, I think no one has a sold Design vs concept but WP. to me I think they are the most committed to their Idea, which is, delivering what information is important to you.

Weirdly all bloggers are saying Cortana is Siris rival, when in real life it is not (IMO), it is competing with Google Now much more, as the concept of WP is to give you Information at a Glance, hence reminding you to tell someone something as soon as you receive a phone call, or while texting him. which in functionality looks a lot like Google Now.

Siri on the other hand follows making your life easier concept, and so it kinda does your work for you, searches for you, reserves for you, buys things... you get the idea. Cortana Does that too, but to achieve the main propose of giving you the information when needed.

Google Now which in someway should organize the information for you; under the Concept umbrella of Google, and it is really powerful at doing so, with the addition of Google Now watch. but it doesn't much follow the Android Channel stream concept which is weird. (IMO) I like the fact that Google will introduce a device that channels the Information of Space around you. the room size and looks. now that's more like following their Android needs. ;)

this is a tough one. but ill vote for Cortana being the best, but again, Form and Function need a little bit of time now.

I hope im making sense. :)

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Beat the competition is very broad and we will not know for sure until we see results. Results as in market share. Cortana can be way more badass than Siri and Google Now but if Windows Phone marketshare is still subpar then I guess it hasn't beat the competition.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Wait, so how does Samuel L. Jackson set timers for his pasta and set appointments for things in those commercials?

Siri is painted to be THE end all, DO all assistant. Is that not the case?

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Additionally, considering the bulk of Cortana is on the back end with Bing and given that Apple now uses Bing for search queries, it's only a matter of time before Cortana gets really good at natural language.

Apple has purchased speech-recognition software company Novauris Technologies,PrimeSense, the maker of motion-tracking chip technology; Topsy Labs, a data-analytics firm and mapping software company Broadmap (they sure need this one). I think they've got some momentum going and they'll have things ready before MS have Cortana out to all unfortunately!

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Depends, I'm not familiar with Siri or Google Now, but after watching a CNET show down between those two I'm surprised at some of the "highlights".

Overall I'd like to know does Google Now even have the context basing that Joe showed off in the keynote? (e.g. which ones take reservations?)
Because if it doesn't then I'd say yes. Hopefully MS will keep pushing at an aggressive pace.

But Cortana only for us.so no benefits to other countries but googlenow for world.cheers Google.you are the only company for the world unlike Microsoft.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Lumiaddict

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
We are so eager to have the best. At a point in the life of technology where its pretty much only just begun, its a cat and mouse game of who will innovate, captivate, and more often than we would like to think, mock the competition. Apple wasn't the innovative mind behind Siri. The personal assistant was on the App store a long time and then apple simply bought it and branded it as their own. Google Now on the other hand stepped up the game, and in my opinion, has raised the bar. Its integration into Android and its ability to bring personal assistant and search engine is by far the best available at this point in time. Cortana will show us Microsofts ability to take the basic ideas and needs of a personal assistant, build off of others ideas, and reinvent the experience as they see fit...its all becoming smoke and mirrors. As long as it is AS GOOD, as the competitors, that's all I will ask for. Being better is a fine line to distinguish these days.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Won't know til we actually use it. Even then, we would have to wait a bit after some real world use and to see how Apple and Google respond after.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss