04-11-2014 01:40 PM
43 12
tools
    Well, she is 'Cortana' for a start. :)
    Integration with 3rd party apps if done innovatively, it will definitely blow Siri and GNow out of the water.
    04-03-2014 03:18 AM
    My opinion to such thing, is just like my opinion of WP in general against other OSs. When I compare, I don't look at it in terms of form and function, as those are flexible, the most important thing is concept, if you have the right concept when you are designing you will achieve great results, within your concept though. Apple, is made to make peoples life easier. android is made as an information channel to Google. Windows Phone, helps people receive information they care about quickly.

Now in terms of personal assistance, I think no one has a sold Design vs concept but WP. to me I think they are the most committed to their Idea, which is, delivering what information is important to you.

Weirdly all bloggers are saying Cortana is Siris rival, when in real life it is not (IMO), it is competing with Google Now much more, as the concept of WP is to give you Information at a Glance, hence reminding you to tell someone something as soon as you receive a phone call, or while texting him. which in functionality looks a lot like Google Now.

Siri on the other hand follows making your life easier concept, and so it kinda does your work for you, searches for you, reserves for you, buys things... you get the idea. Cortana Does that too, but to achieve the main propose of giving you the information when needed.

Google Now which in someway should organize the information for you; under the Concept umbrella of Google, and it is really powerful at doing so, with the addition of Google Now watch. but it doesn't much follow the Android Channel stream concept which is weird. (IMO) I like the fact that Google will introduce a device that channels the Information of Space around you. the room size and looks. now that's more like following their Android needs. ;)

this is a tough one. but ill vote for Cortana being the best, but again, Form and Function need a little bit of time now.

I hope im making sense. :)
    Kashyapjani likes this.
    04-03-2014 03:56 AM
    Beat the competition is very broad and we will not know for sure until we see results. Results as in market share. Cortana can be way more badass than Siri and Google Now but if Windows Phone marketshare is still subpar then I guess it hasn't beat the competition.
    04-03-2014 07:33 AM
    For example, Siri in IO7 just got the ability to open apps through voice?
    Wait, so how does Samuel L. Jackson set timers for his pasta and set appointments for things in those commercials?

Siri is painted to be THE end all, DO all assistant. Is that not the case?
    04-03-2014 10:47 AM
    Wait, so how does Samuel L. Jackson set timers for his pasta and set appointments for things in those commercials?

Siri is painted to be THE end all, DO all assistant. Is that not the case?
    Siri can do all of that.
    04-03-2014 07:28 PM
    Right, I get that. Up above it said though that Siri can't open apps like Cortana can. HOW does it do it?
    04-04-2014 12:18 PM
    Additionally, considering the bulk of Cortana is on the back end with Bing and given that Apple now uses Bing for search queries, it's only a matter of time before Cortana gets really good at natural language.
    Apple has purchased speech-recognition software company Novauris Technologies,PrimeSense, the maker of motion-tracking chip technology; Topsy Labs, a data-analytics firm and mapping software company Broadmap (they sure need this one). I think they've got some momentum going and they'll have things ready before MS have Cortana out to all unfortunately!
    04-06-2014 01:57 AM
    Depends, I'm not familiar with Siri or Google Now, but after watching a CNET show down between those two I'm surprised at some of the "highlights".

For example, Siri in IO7 just got the ability to open apps through voice?

Overall I'd like to know does Google Now even have the context basing that Joe showed off in the keynote? (e.g. which ones take reservations?)
    Because if it doesn't then I'd say yes. Hopefully MS will keep pushing at an aggressive pace.

Additionally, considering the bulk of Cortana is on the back end with Bing and given that Apple now uses Bing for search queries, it's only a matter of time before Cortana gets really good at natural language.
    But Cortana only for us.so no benefits to other countries but googlenow for world.cheers Google.you are the only company for the world unlike Microsoft.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    04-06-2014 02:06 AM
    We are so eager to have the best. At a point in the life of technology where its pretty much only just begun, its a cat and mouse game of who will innovate, captivate, and more often than we would like to think, mock the competition. Apple wasn't the innovative mind behind Siri. The personal assistant was on the App store a long time and then apple simply bought it and branded it as their own. Google Now on the other hand stepped up the game, and in my opinion, has raised the bar. Its integration into Android and its ability to bring personal assistant and search engine is by far the best available at this point in time. Cortana will show us Microsofts ability to take the basic ideas and needs of a personal assistant, build off of others ideas, and reinvent the experience as they see fit...its all becoming smoke and mirrors. As long as it is AS GOOD, as the competitors, that's all I will ask for. Being better is a fine line to distinguish these days.
    04-06-2014 02:38 AM
    Won't know til we actually use it. Even then, we would have to wait a bit after some real world use and to see how Apple and Google respond after.
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    04-06-2014 11:25 AM
    Won't know til we actually use it. Even then, we would have to wait a bit after some real world use and to see how Apple and Google respond after.
    apple will likely copy this in next ios 8 update and call it revolutionary and first on mobile phone -_-
    sd173 and Guytronic like this.
    04-06-2014 11:37 AM
    Nd they will rake in profits to put other smartphone companies in shame.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    04-06-2014 12:03 PM
    apple will likely copy this in next ios 8 update and call it revolutionary and first on mobile phone -_-
    Good ffor them if people buy it.
    04-06-2014 01:06 PM
    Exactly. Like they already get credit for the idea of a flat UI, that really pisses me off.
    blehblehbleh likes this.
    04-06-2014 01:31 PM
    Exactly. Like they already get credit for the idea of a flat UI, that really pisses me off.
    well it was palm webOs with the flat UI.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/4/5/...gn-open-source

It seems they are already getting the credit. Apple that is.
    04-06-2014 01:37 PM
    well it was palm webOs with the flat UI.
    Are you sure? I thought when WebOS came out it still had a bit of skeuomorphic icons; that's generally different from Metro
    04-06-2014 04:40 PM
    Cortana being better wont be because of what's done on the phone.

It's when Cortana also is on your XBOX and your Windows PCs and tablets that we'll see what differentiates it from others.

With the XBOX ONE becoming a complete media hub and Windows already a part of everyone's work and serious home life, we'll see Cortana really be able to do a ton of things across platforms.

"Cortana, record The Fosters on ABC Family."

"Cortana, get document A and put it on Skydrive."

"Cortana, email me this image from my PC"

"Cortana, send game invites to my clan for playing Halo at 4pm this afternoon."

"Cortana, do my taxes." -okay, maybe not quite that good... yet.
    04-06-2014 04:56 PM
    Yes, other countries can change their regions zone in their phone and will be able to access Cortana that way. The only limitation that I've heard of is that Cortana will only recognize English language.
    04-11-2014 01:40 PM
43 12