Cortana and other languages

agmanuel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi, everybody! As an Argentinian my mother tongue is Spanish, I hoped that when they presented cortana they'd have speak about other languages support but nothing was said. What do you think? In wich languages do you think it'll be available in the begining?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
The beginning is a beta version available in US only. It will expand to other regions by next year

Why should it be US only; other people speak US-English and want US English version of Cortana as well even if they are outside the US.

I want access to Cortana outise the US for English speakers. I don't care about language localisation, but for people who are English speakers or just US people living abroad, why should they not have access to Cortana right away with the rest of the US.

It should be up to the user to decide if the US localised Cortana is sufficient not on Microsoft limiting it's access.

Also how is it going to be determined who has access? Is it going to be based on the Phone ROM or on MS account location or on where you bought you phone with which operator?

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the issue is not language, but Cortana's dependence on Bing services, which are significantly more advanced in US than the rest of the world.
Why should it be US only; other people speak US-English and want US English version of Cortana as well even if they are outside the US.

I want access to Cortana outise the US for English speakers. I don't care about language localisation, but for people who are English speakers or just US people living abroad, why should they not have access to Cortana right away with the rest of the US.

It should be up to the user to decide if the US localised Cortana is sufficient not on Microsoft limiting it's access.

Also how is it going to be determined who has access? Is it going to be based on the Phone ROM or on MS account location or on where you bought you phone with which operator?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I think the issue is not language, but Cortana's dependence on Bing services, which are significantly more advanced in US than the rest of the world.

True, but still a lot of Cortana would work even without all the Bing stuff. It's a shame MS was so complacent under Balmer and screwed up so many things that will continue to negatively impact MS for years to come.

Eduardo Wandscheer

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I believe that in Preview for developers Cortana will just talk english.
But other languages are comming out.
Xbox one for example understand and talk portuguese - Brazil (My native language).
In files of SDK leaked some languages are showed and Spanish is in the list. Pt-Br too..
image64.png
Cortana-falar?-portugues-windows-phone-blue-81.png

Last edited:

AzmoD3uS

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site

Not just that, but even if you speak english but are native to a different country, unless you speak perfect english, you will have some accent, which will make it difficult for the service to recognize your commands or what you speak.

That would be a frustrating experience, wouldn't it? That's why it's beta first in the US, as they have it improve, get more data for feedback and then gradually roll it out as it gets better.

As i mentioned in a different thread here, this is reminiscent of Kinect Voice Commands when it first launched. Lots of people complained the same way why voice commands were only enabled for US accounts.

If you want it that badly though, having a US account will ensure you'll get it. Most MS services (kinect, xbox live, and likely cortana) depend on the profile you have on your MS account.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Not just that, but even if you speak english but are native to a different country, unless you speak perfect english, you will have some accent, which will make it difficult for the service to recognize your commands or what you speak.

"That makes no sense. If ever there were a language/dialect with a HUGE quantity of voice training data, it is the US English variant. MS should be launching in at least all the major English-speaking countries if this were true. "
- Markham Ranja

If you want it that badly though, having a US account will ensure you'll get it. Most MS services (kinect, xbox live, and likely cortana) depend on the profile you have on your MS account.

That's not really an option on WP since all app purchases, contact lists and everything else is tied to you main MS account; you can't just create a new US account if you want access to all your WP stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa