Microsoft has gone too far.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I honestly do not care if Microsoft, Google and any Government know I spent 23 min's at Tim Horton's enjoying my coffee, then went to the mall.

Just like I don't care if they know what I look at on the web.........whats the worst that can happen???? So I saw some boobies :-o

I also laughed at some Cat's, a Dog and other funny things.

All it means is in future once Cortana knows I like boobs, I'l get better search results about boobs.....I'd say Bonus for me :)

clvrbas

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I honestly do not care if Microsoft, Google and any Government know I spent 23 min's at Tim Horton's enjoying my coffee, then went to the mall.

Just like I don't care if they know what I look at on the web.........whats the worst that can happen???? So I saw some boobies :-o

All it means is in future once Cortana knows I like boobs, I'l get better search results about boobs.....I'd say Bonus for me :)

You sound just like a good friend of mine. Anything that helps him get better results, he's all in. ;)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Boobs 👍

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Cortana reminds me of some scary cyborg from a sci-fi show. It learns what you do, where you go, who you are, who and what you know, something that no piece of technology should ever know about you (No, I do not use Facebook).

I've just started watching the presentation held today at build. Joe stated very clearly that the entity that scans your e-mails and tracks your location is YOUR PHONE! The profile that is assembled from your information is then stored in the notebook on... again... YOUR PHONE. At least that is what I've understood from the presentation so far. That seems to respect privacy a lot more than the competition does.

Google Now only seems similar to Cortana if you can't see past the UI. Since with Cortana, most everything seems to stay on YOU PHONE, I don't think MS went too far.

Last edited:

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
People give it up, all your info, emails, call logs, text logs, internet activities are all logged. If your that paranoid don't get a smart phone, don't use the internet and pay cash for everything. Its a part of todays life. Me personally I could care less if someone is beating off to my sexting and dirty pictures hahahah tax dollars at work ;-)...... Carrier I.Q. anyone LOL

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
People give it up, all your info, emails, call logs, text logs, internet activities are all logged. If your that paranoid don't get a smart phone, don't use the internet and pay cash for everything. Its a part of todays life. Me personally I could care less if someone is beating off to my sexting and dirty pictures hahahah tax dollars at work ;-)...... Carrier I.Q. anyone LOL

I think you're making just a bit too much of a blanket statement. People who are worried about what governments can access are pretty much out of luck. Anything we send over a public network is open to them. Even if governments don't have the technical means to lift such information directly off the wire, they can employ legal means to force any company to hand out whatever they want to see.

For private companies the story is very different. I don't want private companies with a profit motive collecting any data about me. I think it's safe to assume that companies like Google aren't doing anything illegal, meaning they only have access to the data we hand over to them willingly. The data we willingly hand over to private corporations is something we can control. IMHO giving up on that aspect of privacy would be a terrible idea. There are differences.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if serious. I guess he didn't hear about the Cortana notebook. Oh well, no big loss. More Cortana fun for the rest of us!

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've just started watching the presentation held today at build. Joe stated very clearly that the entity that scans your e-mails and tracks your location is YOUR PHONE! The profile that is assembled from your information is then stored in the notebook on... again... YOUR PHONE. At least that is what I've understood from the presentation so far. That seems to respect privacy a lot more than the competition does. I might change my mind later on, as I'm still learning about Cortana and how it works, but already now we can definitely say that huge differences exist... they only seem to be similar if you can't see past the UI.

​The Cortana notebook is stored in the cloud. However you have control over what is stored there.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
​The Cortana notebook is stored in the cloud. However you have control over what is stored there.

Okay. So data mining is done on every individual device, while the results are stored in the cloud?

I'm still trying to find more information about how all this is tied together, so far with little luck. For example, is what we see in the notebook exactly what is stored in the cloud, or if it is more representational? Is the notebook a complete representation of what is stored in the cloud, or only partial? Etc etc etc

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I've just started watching the presentation held today at build. Joe stated very clearly that the entity that scans your e-mails and tracks your location is YOUR PHONE! The profile that is assembled from your information is then stored in the notebook on... again... YOUR PHONE. At least that is what I've understood from the presentation so far. That seems to respect privacy a lot more than the competition does.

Google Now only seems similar to Cortana if you can't see past the UI. Since with Cortana, most everything seems to stay on YOU PHONE, I don't think MS went too far.

when you say your phone sure. where this come from for cortana to know....from the cloud. so everything about you will be store on the cloud.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I think you're making just a bit too much of a blanket statement. People who are worried about what governments can access are pretty much out of luck. Anything we send over a public network is open to them. Even if governments don't have the technical means to lift such information directly off the wire, they can employ legal means to force any company to hand out whatever they want to see.

For private companies the story is very different. I don't want private companies with a profit motive collecting any data about me. I think it's safe to assume that companies like Google aren't doing anything illegal, meaning they only have access to the data we hand over to them willingly. The data we willingly hand over to private corporations is something we can control. IMHO giving up on that aspect of privacy would be a terrible idea. There are differences.

I 100% guarantee if you sent an email to yourself (different account) talking about going to a school to shoot it up or some plot to blow something up the feds would be kicking in your door within 24 hours.

Sorry but IDC what platform you have if someone wants in they will get in government or not hard wired or wireless Bing or google your data, location, what you look at/do on your phone tablet computer is out there to see if you want to look hard enough by anyone.

Facebook the one stop shop for all of your information so I wouldn't worry about some digital assistant.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I 100% guarantee if you sent an email to yourself (different account) talking about going to a school to shoot it up or some plot to blow something up the feds would be kicking in your door within 24 hours.

No they wouldn't. I've actually tested this out on every single major e-mail service myself...and even sent myself completely unencrypted easily read plain text copies of the anarchists cookbook, and even books about methamphetamine manufacture from Uncle Fester.

I do this about once or twice a year for when people try to make these claims.

They are far less advanced than people think, and there's far less access than people think. You can't get views and hits for stories though unless you make it sound more ominous than what it is.

Now do I think that the NSA and such go too far in their surveillance? Yes.
Is it as far reaching as the media makes it sound? No.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Tell that to apple when they backdoored there system 3 days after they said they haven't been hacked or CM when there encrypted mms setup was cracked in less than a week. Reading the anarchist cookbook is a lot different then a detailed terroristic plot. Hell the guy that posted he had pieces or the space shuttle for sale, the FBI kicked in his door less then 15 minutes after he made the post. Trust me give them a good enough reason and you will be shocked just how much they can see.

As far as the media, I watch Fox, no cool laid here.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Tell that to apple when they backdoored there system 3 days after they said they haven't been hacked or CM when there encrypted mms setup was cracked in less than a week. Reading the anarchist cookbook is a lot different then a detailed terroristic plot. Hell the guy that posted he had pieces or the space shuttle for sale, the FBI kicked in his door less then 15 minutes after he made the post. Trust me give them a good enough reason and you will be shocked just how much they can see.

As far as the media, I watch Fox, no cool laid here.
No Kool-Aid on Fox? ...I will exit this discussion now as it has left the realm of reality entirely.

Also I addressed your specific points about sending items, not just reading them. Don't make an argument if you cannot handle when someone refutes it with direct experience.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo