Microsoft has gone too far.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Cortana reminds me of some scary cyborg from a sci-fi show. It learns what you do, where you go, who you are, who and what you know, something that no piece of technology should ever know about you (No, I do not use Facebook).

I'm going to get my WP 8.1, turn off the location services,turn off all of the Cortana tracking features (Hopefully this can be done), and enjoy 8.1. I hate to disable the best feature WP 8.1 has, but I value my privacy over a nice-looking app that talks.

The last thing I want MS to do is send my location data, people I know, etc to the government...

By the way, thanks for crashing my profits, MS... (Signature). I guess i'll have to work on a Cortana exploit to make up the loss.

You shouldn't worry about Cortana, the moment you turn your cell phone on you are being tracked, connect to the internet on your PC or any device your are be tracked, data mined and your info is being sifted. And even worse being stored by the NSA indefinitely, it used to be stored for 5 years now it is indefinitely. Not only that when you enter many areas with cameras and video you can be found with facial recognition systems, the only way you are not going to be tracked is living in the wilderness, never using any device that connects to a cell tower or the internet.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If you're worried about cortana stay away from Motorola. I emailed them with battery problems and they asked for my imei then they responded back with all the battery usage history of my phone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
If you're worried about cortana stay away from Motorola. I emailed them with battery problems and they asked for my imei then they responded back with all the battery usage history of my phone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1

carrier IQ at its best and its not just Moto who use it, its a carrier level thing. I remember it was just an XML easily removed but now they hide/imbed it with the SMS, battery, dialer apks making it harder to detect and remove and it wouldn't show up in the SDK so you needed a good developer to find.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
carrier IQ at its best and its not just Moto who use it, its a carrier level thing. I remember it was just an XML easily removed but now they hide/imbed it with the SMS, battery, dialer apks making it harder to detect and remove and it wouldn't show up in the SDK so you needed a good developer to find.

I've never even heard of this. What all do they have access to?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely everything, that's why Carrier IQ was and still is a very controversial piece of software. One of the many reasons why I won't touch a Motorola device with a barge pole.
I gave up on them when I had a special edition R2D2 model that had the startup sounds hardcoded at a specific volume...because the phone would restart a few time a day sometimes in meetings.

Sure it looked cool, but it was next to useless...which was pretty disappointing. :(

Blake Quartly

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Cortana reminds me of some scary cyborg from a sci-fi show. It learns what you do, where you go, who you are, who and what you know, something that no piece of technology should ever know about you (No, I do not use Facebook).

I'm going to get my WP 8.1, turn off the location services,turn off all of the Cortana tracking features (Hopefully this can be done), and enjoy 8.1. I hate to disable the best feature WP 8.1 has, but I value my privacy over a nice-looking app that talks.

The last thing I want MS to do is send my location data, people I know, etc to the government...

Wait what... All of that information is already on your phone already... If they wanted to seek that information they already could. Perhaps you should just throw out your phone altogether if this is how you feel about privacy? There's nothing in Cortana that compromises your privacy anymore than actually owning a smartphone.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I gave up on them when I had a special edition R2D2 model that had the startup sounds hardcoded at a specific volume...because the phone would restart a few time a day sometimes in meetings.

Sure it looked cool, but it was next to useless...which was pretty disappointing. :(

Absolutely everything, that's why Carrier IQ was and still is a very controversial piece of software malware. One of the many reasons why I won't touch a Motorola device with a barge pole.

Somebody fill me in. I've really never heard of it.

What does it do?
Is it on all android phones?
Is it on WP's and iOS?

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

By the way, thanks for crashing my profits, MS... (Signature). I guess i'll have to work on a Cortana exploit to make up the loss.

It's a smart phone, when you turn it on, you're tracked, recorded, and analyzed.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't worry about Cortana, the moment you turn your cell phone on you are being tracked, connect to the internet on your PC or any device your are be tracked, data mined and your info is being sifted. And even worse being stored by the NSA indefinitely, it used to be stored for 5 years now it is indefinitely. Not only that when you enter many areas with cameras and video you can be found with facial recognition systems, the only way you are not going to be tracked is living in the wilderness, never using any device that connects to a cell tower or the internet.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I feel I must if the above argument (and all its variants) keeps popping up. Yes, the NSA can track everything. So? Does that mean your neighbours, teachers, insurers, employers and everyone else on the planet has unlimited access to every bit of data you ever sent across a wire? Does that mean there is nothing left to protect? No! Of course not.

Whatever the reason for the above argument's popularity, I think it is a false one. Yes, government institutions can access whatever they want, but I find that far less concerning than the prospect of private companies seeking new ways to monetize the data they have collected about us through legal means. At least the NSA doesn't have a profit motive.

Private companies do not have the kind of access the NSA does. Neither do criminals. Even with the NSA around, there are still many reasons to care about security and privacy.

The OP was likely bummed about the reduced app sales that Cortana is likely to incur, but there is nothing wrong about the OP's desire to want a good smartphone experience and privacy. Everyone is free to value free stuff over privacy, but the OP has the right to his/her own values.

No, we won't get the government to keep their noses out of our business, but private companies can only legally track, data mine, and analyse us to the extent we are willing to allow it. That we have absolutely no influence is simply wrong, just as is the claim that all companies and platforms respect and treat privacy equally.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Carrier IQ in the simplest terms is a key logger, used to track usage of the phone for purposes "of making software better" it was/is the carrier not the oe doing it, Verizon and AT&T the biggest user of it. Search XDA there's long threads on it over there.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Carrier IQ in the simplest terms is a key logger, used to track usage of the phone for purposes "of making software better" it was/is the carrier not the oe doing it, Verizon and AT&T the biggest user of it. Search XDA there's long threads on it over there.

Wrong. It's supposed to be diagnostic software, hidden from the user, installed on various Android devices which cannot be removed. It is now classified as a rootkit and a security risk. AFAIK it isn't installed on Windows Phones or iPhones.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
No your wrong and it can be removed. Search xda developers

I may not know alot about the ijunk and WP but I know android been rooting and moding sense the OG days and still have quite a few android phones G2 Gpro HTC one and nexus5

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
No your wrong and it can be removed. Search xda developers

I actually looked at various websites including the Carrier IQ website, not only that but it's hidden within apps on the phone so it makes it nigh on impossible to remove without removing system apps. It isn't a key logger, it's classified as a rootkit.

Last edited:

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I actually looked at the Carrier IQ website, not only that but it's hidden within apps on the phone so it makes it nigh on impossible to remove without removing system apps.

yes I know I explained that it used to be just a simple XML and easy to remove now they hide it in system apks and to remove it you need to decompile and recompile the apk or use apks from a gaps package

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Yea like there gonna tell you its a key logger just like they clame they removed it only for people to poke around in the xmls and find it hidden

Flashing an aokp aosp rom also will get rid of it.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yea like there gonna tell you its a key logger just like they clame they removed it only for people to poke around in the xmls and find it hidden

Flashing an aokp aosp rom also will get rid of it.

It's far more than a simple key logger. It can and does monitor everything, and I do mean everything, you do on your device from what webpages you look at to what apps you have installed and running. From what I can gather it's only US devices that are infested with this rootkit.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes I know exactly what it is and what it does, it also key logs, as well as the ability to control functions of the phone, the mic camera excetra. This has been discussed in depth on xda and how to completely remove it from the infected apks. Most people have no clue what it does, its far more then what IQ web page tells you, after people started to figure out what it did they backpedaled and said they would remove it because it wasn't hard to find out if you had it on your device, the early versions of it you could see it in the system apps, then they hid it in one app, people figured that one out, called them out on it and then they broke it up, I remember my note 2 it was in the SMS, dialer, and alarm apk. Carrier IQ is a huge invasion of privacy because it loggs absolutely everything your phone does.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)