The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-07-2014 11:44 PM
176 123 ...
tools
    Cortana reminds me of some scary cyborg from a sci-fi show. It learns what you do, where you go, who you are, who and what you know, something that no piece of technology should ever know about you (No, I do not use Facebook).

I'm going to get my WP 8.1, turn off the location services,turn off all of the Cortana tracking features (Hopefully this can be done), and enjoy 8.1. I hate to disable the best feature WP 8.1 has, but I value my privacy over a nice-looking app that talks.

The last thing I want MS to do is send my location data, people I know, etc to the government...

By the way, thanks for crashing my profits, MS... (Signature). I guess i'll have to work on a Cortana exploit to make up the loss.
    k0de and nohra like this.
    04-02-2014 03:46 PM
    I, for one, welcome our robot overlords.
    04-02-2014 04:01 PM
    Cortana reminds me of some scary cyborg from a sci-fi show. It learns what you do, where you go, who you are, who and what you know, something that no piece of technology should ever know about you (No, I do not use Facebook).

I'm going to get my WP 8.1, turn off the location services,turn off all of the Cortana tracking features (Hopefully this can be done), and enjoy 8.1. I hate to disable the best feature WP 8.1 has, but I value my privacy over a nice-looking app that talks.

The last thing I want MS to do is send my location data, people I know, etc to the government...

By the way, thanks for crashing my profits, MS... (Signature). I guess i'll have to work on a Cortana exploit to make up the loss.
    And I thought I was paranoid when I deleted my vine and Instagram. You need to relax. This is to benefit you and all the consumers and brings Microsoft parity with other operating systems. Government knows where you are anyways because of cellular networks and the fact all cellphones in the U.S. have location for 911 built in so they can find you in case of an emergency. So you already lost on the location front, by getting a smartphone in the first place.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-02-2014 04:10 PM
    Really??? If you don't want to use Cortana just turn it off lol
    Editguy1900 and lightning4499 like this.
    04-02-2014 04:10 PM
    Good that you can control what information cortana "knows" about you.
    04-02-2014 04:11 PM
    Really??? If you don't want to use Cortana just turn it off lol
    Thats what he said he was gonna do. Lol
    Cheewii Poon and MikeSo like this.
    04-02-2014 04:14 PM
    and Microsoft was really pushing the new Kinect for Windows and Kinect 2.0, basically cameras are pervasive so deal with it - was my take on Microsoft's(Myerson) stance. ""This is the future of interactions with computers, the cameras will be pervasive"
    04-02-2014 04:15 PM
    And I thought I was paranoid when I deleted my vine and Instagram. You need to relax. This is to benefit you and all the consumers and brings Microsoft parity with other operating systems. Government knows where you are anyways because of cellular networks and the fact all cellphones in the U.S. have location for 911 built in so they can find you in case of an emergency. So you already lost on the location front, by getting a smartphone in the first place.

Exactly. If they want info on you, they don't need Cortana to get it.
    04-02-2014 04:15 PM
    I wonder if you can ask oddball/creepy questions to it like Siri and she responds with snarky/clever responses.

04-02-2014 04:17 PM
    Null
    Last edited by soundscan9800; 09-28-2014 at 08:31 AM.
    04-02-2014 04:17 PM
    Thats what he said he was gonna do. Lol
    Lol oops... I got tired of the complaining after the first few words
    04-02-2014 04:19 PM
    I wonder if you can ask oddball/creepy questions to it like Siri and she responds with snarky/clever responses.
    Wpcentral should get to the bottom of this now!

04-02-2014 04:21 PM
    Dang, some people are paranoid.
    A895, ven07 and Pontifex like this.
    04-02-2014 04:22 PM
    In the keynote Joe asked what the story was for the next Halo game and Cortana responded by saying that he probably doesn't have the correct security clearance for that information, so my guess would be yes you can.
    ven07, Ashhar Hasan and Madeye234 like this.
    04-02-2014 04:25 PM
    Nope, I WANT Cortana to learn everything about me. I want Microsoft to use this information and make a beast out of this. They've done us a favour. This is innovation. It is like pain killers - they are good as long as you don't go for the overdose. It is upto us to decide what happens with this but fears like these will stop innovation and I will never see those Sci-Fi scenes becoming reality. I want to be able to teach my grandkids all these stuff. It needs to happen faster.
    04-02-2014 04:42 PM
    I only feel that they have gone too far by naming it Cortana, but I'm a Halo Universe fan purist snob so whatever.
    04-02-2014 04:47 PM
    1. People concerned with privacy can turn Cortana off.
    2. People who haven't heard of Halo and Cortana will think the name is cool.
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-02-2014 04:55 PM
    people who make competing apps should find other ways to discredit their competition
    berty6294 and Ashhar Hasan like this.
    04-02-2014 05:04 PM
    Someone (@IN5TIGATOR) thinks his life is way more interesting than it really is.
    A895, jleebiker, xandros9 and 5 others like this.
    04-02-2014 05:17 PM
    Its skynet 2.0
    04-02-2014 05:21 PM
    I only feel that they have gone too far by naming it Cortana, but I'm a Halo Universe fan purist snob so whatever.
    Halo:Spartan Assualt and Cortana tiles should be next to each other on every WP from now on.
    TechAbstract likes this.
    04-02-2014 05:22 PM
    I think the voice assistant will become vital for the disabled.
    Things like haptic feedback and voice guidance for vision impaired folks could make life so much easier.

Who knows maybe the voice assistant will help the not so wise make the better choice.
    04-02-2014 05:27 PM
    Lmfao!! OP google, Facebook, apple, your weather app, does the same thing and have been for years, every search engine, your car (if it has nav), every time you use your credit/debt card Don't forget your phones IP address when you turn your smart phone into a flip phone :-o
    04-02-2014 05:29 PM
    I feel like most people don't fully consider their statements before making them. First of all, if you don't want the features, you can turn them off or edit the values in the notebook.. You can probably turn it off too.

But the reminder when you get to a location is awesome... GPS will already know where you are so might as well let Cortana know where you are.. you realize that where you live and work is public data? I could call up your county's department of public records and get your house or apartment, how much you paid, etc.. Whenever you google or bing something, they keep track of it for metrics and data.. so what you look up on the internet is already known. Also you'd be surprised what the government knows about you.... do you own a car? have you driven it through a toll both? if the government wants to know.. they'll know.. every time you make a phone call, your cell company knows and has a record of it... keeping MS from this data really is only detrimental to your experience, you aren't keeping anything secret.

the fact that you are on this website, your IP address has been tracked and saved (via google ads, the website, etc) and can be traced back to your ISP and depending on how you are connecting, back to you..
    Ashhar Hasan and Ichigo like this.
    04-02-2014 05:56 PM
    So Microsoft has gone too far by giving people an optional opt-in feature that you don't need to ever use? Ok.....
    Last edited by Jas00555; 04-02-2014 at 06:12 PM.
    04-02-2014 05:59 PM
176 123 ...