Cortana features outside US/Launch Countries

avdbusse

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm in Australia, and am excited to see Cortana, but do read that it will be launching in "other countries" in 2015...

Anyone know if this includes some of the features like quiet hours etc? I really would be disappointed to have to wait ANOTHER year for that...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm in South-Am and if I have to wait that long.................... I might just switch over, because this was definitely one option I wanted to have on my phone +925

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I think I might have the a possible answer.. It took me some time lol. But maybe, just maybe, you could set you region to US so that you could get Cortana anyways. I think this might work, because if it's simply a language barrier then it shouldn't matter right.. we speak Engl anyways lol

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I think I might have the a possible answer.. It took me some time lol. But maybe, just maybe, you could set you region to US so that you could get Cortana anyways. I think this might work, because if it's simply a language barrier then it shouldn't matter right.. we speak Engl anyways lol

Yeah, I was just thinking about this possibility. I'm gonna try that!

I suspect they're more clever than that, although it would be nice if changing the region does just work...

This may still not be a full Cortana experiences as questions that are related to search and location will show you results from USA instead of your country so basically fail. Also if she starts making her Notebook and learn about you; when you have real stuff in your region, you will have to tear her notebook away and give her a new one to start from scratch.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Looks like outside the US we get a Cortana style interface for TellMe but Bing Search is still there, at least until Cortana rolls out to other countries.

avdbusse

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Looks like outside the US we get a Cortana style interface for TellMe but Bing Search is still there, at least until Cortana rolls out to other countries.

can you confirm whether or not quiet hours, inner circle etc are still present? Could handle not having a Cortana to TALK to if that stuff was still present...

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
can you confirm whether or not quiet hours, inner circle etc are still present? Could handle not having a Cortana to TALK to if that stuff was still present...

I'm confused by this question. Why would features that are independent of Cortana be reliant on whether or not you get Cortana at launch? There's some logic I must be missing...

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Nope, doesn't seem so :(

I switched the Emulator language to German and Quiet Hours is completely gone with Cortana... Well, seems I have to use my phone in English from now on...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
From what I can tell, Cortana is still an integral part of the OS so it will still be in the preview but hidden if your settings aren't set to US.

In the emulator the region and language settings I have set are as follows:

Keyboard - English
Language - English (United States)
Region - United States, English (United Kingdom)
Speech - English (United States)

and Cortana shows up in the app list.

Last edited:

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused by this question. Why would features that are independent of Cortana be reliant on whether or not you get Cortana at launch? There's some logic I must be missing...

Exactly, I would that only the location based features would be absent. Otherwise all the other revealed features involving Cortana would be present.

Anyway, having used Tell Me feature pretty rarely, I don't see Cortana having much use to me except for setting up a bit of automation

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna put my phones region to Us and try to setup Cortana.

Then setup a travel plan to "travel" India indefinitely. See that if it will work

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, I would that only the location based features would be absent. Otherwise all the other revealed features involving Cortana would be present.

Anyway, having used Tell Me feature pretty rarely, I don't see Cortana having much use to me except for setting up a bit of automation

I have to agree that TellMe wasn't all that useful but I think Cortana is way more useful.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
after playing with the new wp emulator (https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/downloadsdk), I can conclude that we can simply change the phone region setting to US to enable the Cortana, otherwise when we tap the search button, it'll open up bing seach (just like wp8).

From my testing of the emulator it seems like Region, Language and Speech all have to be set to US in order for Cortana to work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)