Cortana features outside US/Launch Countries

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
This may still not be a full Cortana experiences as questions that are related to search and location will show you results from USA instead of your country so basically fail. Also if she starts making her Notebook and learn about you; when you have real stuff in your region, you will have to tear her notebook away and give her a new one to start from scratch.
Bing search queries maybe, but that's fine most of the time.

A large part is integral (appointments etc) and the rest is location based and fine for most European/western countries without weird symbols

CandrabeQx

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
From my testing of the emulator it seems like Region, Language and Speech all have to be set to US in order for Cortana to work.

uh oh, forgot to mention about the language & speech setting.. (I always use english for those), and yes.. they should be in US for Cortana to be enabled.

at least we can still have our regional format without have to worry about losing Cortana ��

dukrem

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Also in Aus. I understand issues with cortana and localisation in countries where bing has significantly reduced functionality, but here in Australia we have local scout and good bing maps coverage, the same music scanning features, our windows 8 bing apps all work great with local news sources, we have localised licensing for content on xbox video and music, and WE SPEAK ENGLISH! We already have voice recognition support on xbox one too. Microsoft, please fast track cortana to places where there is very little additional work for localisation required.

hermantj

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
That's nice... I actually use my phone set to US (region, speech and language), even if I am living in Spain. The bing search is more developped, and I the os text isn't translated, I prefer it that way

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Nah, because if you set the region to set to US to acess the store and Bing features, it doesn't change the time

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
can you confirm whether or not quiet hours, inner circle etc are still present? Could handle not having a Cortana to TALK to if that stuff was still present...

Those features rely on Cortana so they aren't present if your language is set to something other than US.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yep. If you're one of the very few users in the US club you'll be fine, if you're one of the many users in the THEM club you'll be left in the cold.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm in Australia, and am excited to see Cortana, but do read that it will be launching in "other countries" in 2015...

Anyone know if this includes some of the features like quiet hours etc? I really would be disappointed to have to wait ANOTHER year for that...

Hey avd, I found a great answer, apparently as long as the phone region is set to US we can use Cortana (so it was like I thought; Language barrier -_- )

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...different-wp8-1-compared-8-0-lumia-920-a.html

scroll down a bit

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
can you confirm whether or not quiet hours, inner circle etc are still present? Could handle not having a Cortana to TALK to if that stuff was still present...

Those features will be available with the dev preview, but only in English so set your phone to US if you want them

Eduardo Wandscheer

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I hope she speaks Portuguese pt, not br :eck:
Unfortunately cortana will speak pt-br because it is official variation chosen by Microsoft. Pt-BR is more spoken and learned around the world.
We have about 200 million of Pt-BR speakers and about 12 million of pt-pt speakers.

did you try to use voice command in Windows Phone 8 using pt-pt? It doesn't exist only pt-br is available.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
This may still not be a full Cortana experiences as questions that are related to search and location will show you results from USA instead of your country so basically fail. Also if she starts making her Notebook and learn about you; when you have real stuff in your region, you will have to tear her notebook away and give her a new one to start from scratch.

Hey, i was under the impression that if i would teach her where certain things it would just enhance her knowledge of my country?? Because these things/places are already available on Bing and foursq

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss