06-10-2014 02:49 AM
50 12
tools
    I'm in Australia, and am excited to see Cortana, but do read that it will be launching in "other countries" in 2015...

Anyone know if this includes some of the features like quiet hours etc? I really would be disappointed to have to wait ANOTHER year for that...
    04-02-2014 04:03 PM
    I'm in South-Am and if I have to wait that long.................... I might just switch over, because this was definitely one option I wanted to have on my phone +925
    04-02-2014 04:14 PM
    Hey, I think I might have the a possible answer.. It took me some time lol. But maybe, just maybe, you could set you region to US so that you could get Cortana anyways. I think this might work, because if it's simply a language barrier then it shouldn't matter right.. we speak Engl anyways lol
    04-02-2014 04:34 PM
    Yeah, I was just thinking about this possibility. I'm gonna try that!
    ven07 likes this.
    04-02-2014 04:39 PM
    I suspect they're more clever than that, although it would be nice if changing the region does just work...
    ven07 likes this.
    04-02-2014 04:49 PM
    Hey, I think I might have the a possible answer.. It took me some time lol. But maybe, just maybe, you could set you region to US so that you could get Cortana anyways. I think this might work, because if it's simply a language barrier then it shouldn't matter right.. we speak Engl anyways lol
    Yeah, I was just thinking about this possibility. I'm gonna try that!
    I suspect they're more clever than that, although it would be nice if changing the region does just work...
    This may still not be a full Cortana experiences as questions that are related to search and location will show you results from USA instead of your country so basically fail. Also if she starts making her Notebook and learn about you; when you have real stuff in your region, you will have to tear her notebook away and give her a new one to start from scratch.
    04-02-2014 05:16 PM
    Looks like outside the US we get a Cortana style interface for TellMe but Bing Search is still there, at least until Cortana rolls out to other countries.
    avdbusse likes this.
    04-02-2014 08:28 PM
    Looks like outside the US we get a Cortana style interface for TellMe but Bing Search is still there, at least until Cortana rolls out to other countries.
    where did you see this?
    04-02-2014 08:59 PM
    where did you see this?
    In the emulator that ships with the SDK that was released yesterday.
    TruPlaya187 likes this.
    04-02-2014 09:59 PM
    So Cortana won't even be part of the developer preview outside US?
    04-03-2014 12:24 AM
    can you confirm whether or not quiet hours, inner circle etc are still present? Could handle not having a Cortana to TALK to if that stuff was still present...
    04-03-2014 01:10 AM
    can you confirm whether or not quiet hours, inner circle etc are still present? Could handle not having a Cortana to TALK to if that stuff was still present...
    I'm confused by this question. Why would features that are independent of Cortana be reliant on whether or not you get Cortana at launch? There's some logic I must be missing...
    ven07 likes this.
    04-03-2014 01:19 AM
    So cortana is not coming with dev preview other than US ??
    ven07 likes this.
    04-03-2014 01:31 AM
    Nope, doesn't seem so :(

I switched the Emulator language to German and Quiet Hours is completely gone with Cortana... Well, seems I have to use my phone in English from now on...
    04-03-2014 02:34 AM
    From what I can tell, Cortana is still an integral part of the OS so it will still be in the preview but hidden if your settings aren't set to US.

In the emulator the region and language settings I have set are as follows:

Keyboard - English
    Language - English (United States)
    Region - United States, English (United Kingdom)
    Speech - English (United States)

and Cortana shows up in the app list.
    Last edited by neo158; 04-03-2014 at 08:06 AM.
    04-03-2014 07:33 AM
    I'm confused by this question. Why would features that are independent of Cortana be reliant on whether or not you get Cortana at launch? There's some logic I must be missing...
    Exactly, I would that only the location based features would be absent. Otherwise all the other revealed features involving Cortana would be present.

Anyway, having used Tell Me feature pretty rarely, I don't see Cortana having much use to me except for setting up a bit of automation
    04-03-2014 08:04 AM
    I'm gonna put my phones region to Us and try to setup Cortana.

Then setup a travel plan to "travel" India indefinitely. See that if it will work
    WP8_Lover and altafmahmood like this.
    04-03-2014 08:07 AM
    Exactly, I would that only the location based features would be absent. Otherwise all the other revealed features involving Cortana would be present.

Anyway, having used Tell Me feature pretty rarely, I don't see Cortana having much use to me except for setting up a bit of automation
    I have to agree that TellMe wasn't all that useful but I think Cortana is way more useful.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-03-2014 08:12 AM
    after playing with the new wp emulator (https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/downloadsdk), I can conclude that we can simply change the phone region setting to US to enable the Cortana, otherwise when we tap the search button, it'll open up bing seach (just like wp8).
    ven07 likes this.
    04-03-2014 03:09 PM
    after playing with the new wp emulator (https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/downloadsdk), I can conclude that we can simply change the phone region setting to US to enable the Cortana, otherwise when we tap the search button, it'll open up bing seach (just like wp8).
    From my testing of the emulator it seems like Region, Language and Speech all have to be set to US in order for Cortana to work.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-03-2014 03:14 PM
    This may still not be a full Cortana experiences as questions that are related to search and location will show you results from USA instead of your country so basically fail. Also if she starts making her Notebook and learn about you; when you have real stuff in your region, you will have to tear her notebook away and give her a new one to start from scratch.
    Bing search queries maybe, but that's fine most of the time.

A large part is integral (appointments etc) and the rest is location based and fine for most European/western countries without weird symbols
    04-03-2014 03:27 PM
    From my testing of the emulator it seems like Region, Language and Speech all have to be set to US in order for Cortana to work.
    uh oh, forgot to mention about the language & speech setting.. (I always use english for those), and yes.. they should be in US for Cortana to be enabled.

at least we can still have our regional format without have to worry about losing Cortana
    ven07 likes this.
    04-03-2014 04:11 PM
    Also in Aus. I understand issues with cortana and localisation in countries where bing has significantly reduced functionality, but here in Australia we have local scout and good bing maps coverage, the same music scanning features, our windows 8 bing apps all work great with local news sources, we have localised licensing for content on xbox video and music, and WE SPEAK ENGLISH! We already have voice recognition support on xbox one too. Microsoft, please fast track cortana to places where there is very little additional work for localisation required.
    avdbusse, ven07 and Mark Dart like this.
    04-03-2014 08:24 PM
    That's ******* handy as dandy, I use my entire phone set to US, for the store.
    04-03-2014 10:02 PM
    That's nice... I actually use my phone set to US (region, speech and language), even if I am living in Spain. The bing search is more developped, and I the os text isn't translated, I prefer it that way
    ven07 likes this.
    04-04-2014 01:36 AM
50 12