04-03-2014 02:54 PM
159 ... 34567
tools
    I cannot help the reactions of others to the truth. As I've pointed out other countries also have benefits they get with some products that the US doesn't get either. I mentioned earlier an example about Sony and exclusive titles and features in Japan.

Nintendo released crippled versions of the Famicom and Super Famicom in the US.

I don't see the need for hate for any reason over it. I don't get angry at things other places have that I can't.

Heck I'm just happy that we finally have a nearby fry shop that finally just opened that makes decent poutine and I'm hoping we get a Tim Horton's down her soon. That doesn't mean I get mad at Canada or those living there for the things I can't have, or in the case of Cortana (for them) may have to wait for.

Make sense? :)
    Interesting. I didn't realize putting gravy on fries was such a difficult thing to come by. Same with coffee.

How about if I told you that you cannot have poutine outside of Quebec? Even if you have the fries, the gravy and the tools to cook it? That's what not having Bing search features in Canada is like compared to the US. There is no logistical or logical reason why it won't work, they just dont let us have it.
    04-03-2014 12:01 PM
    F***ing BS. Switching soon forget WP its shyte.
    04-03-2014 12:06 PM
    Interesting. I didn't realize putting gravy on fries was such a difficult thing to come by. Same with coffee.

How about if I told you that you cannot have poutine outside of Quebec? Even if you have the fries, the gravy and the tools to cook it? That's what not having Bing search features in Canada is like compared to the US. There is no logistical or logical reason why it won't work, they just dont let us have it.
    Your sarcasm earns you no respect from me, nor does your flawed analogy, nor your lack of knowledge of internal MS decision making or the logistics behind it.

As I told someone earlier, reality doesn't tally up with the story you want to tell. It's fine that you feel that way, but do you really feel that they are just withholding it for fun?

Only someone unintelligent withholds something easily given that will make them more money. To not provide what customers want out of sheer spite would be stupidity at its highest level...and no one at MS is that stupid.

As regards poutine. It's hard to find someone who can make it decently here in the US. Also realize I live just outside Seattle. There's a billion and one coffee shop's...but none as good as Timmy's for the Timbits and non-bitter coffee. Too many places burn their beans around here.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    04-03-2014 12:08 PM
    Bye. *Waves happily*
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    04-03-2014 12:08 PM
    I am also joining you soon.
    Morpheus Phreak likes this.
    04-03-2014 12:36 PM
    Awesome! :)
    04-03-2014 12:37 PM
    So, will I be able to install cortana if I change my region to the US?
    04-03-2014 12:42 PM
    Awesome! :)
    do you really need to reply even on that?

Anyway
    Enjoy your Awesome
    04-03-2014 12:45 PM
    Cool lol :) Which direction you heading into?
    04-03-2014 12:48 PM
    What a hot debate.. Im not in US, and for Sure will not see Cortana for a year or so. But Cortana shows how important for MS is release of decent finished product. They dont use customer, like googgle, to polish their 'alpha' versions publicized as 'revolutionary product' MS - serious Enterprise.
    04-03-2014 12:50 PM

Anyway
    Enjoy your Awesome
    You felt the need to share, so I felt the need to reply. :)
    Dantekai14 likes this.
    04-03-2014 12:51 PM

Anyway
    Enjoy your Awesome
    Well you seemingly asked for it.

If you are leaving WP because Cortana is not available to you at start, remember Siri was implemented the same way.
    04-03-2014 12:56 PM
    Ironically, I'd say that Cortana is actually evidence that Microsoft want Bing to be a competent search engine outside of the US. Eventually, anyway.
    04-03-2014 12:57 PM
    Seen some ridiculous replies here guys. Disappointment makes sense as we all want access to cool new features of course, but it's clear that Microsoft will work hard to bring this project to the rest of the world, there's no reason for them not to! It just isn't ready for localisation in terms of both speech recognition and data sources just yet. Hold out hope that it will happen sooner rather than later!
    04-03-2014 01:03 PM
    Wrong. I have a coworker who is a British citizen. Her phone has to be on UK in order to understand her. Her phone does not understand her daughter, who has spent her entire life here in the US, and therefore does not have the UK accent. Her daughter's phone is on US to understand her. Neither of them can speak to the other's phone. Both are using iPhones.

Even when English is the language in use, regional dialects do matter when it comes to voice recognition.
    And don't forget regional dialects within the SAME COUNTRY. Leeds vs Cambridge for example. The two accents are WILDLY different. One botches the English language so much it might as well be Wengrish, the other is really posh Queen's English.
    Morpheus Phreak and hopmedic like this.
    04-03-2014 01:05 PM
    Seen some ridiculous replies here guys. Disappointment makes sense as we all want access to cool new features of course, but it's clear that Microsoft will work hard to bring this project to the rest of the world, there's no reason for them not to! It just isn't ready for localisation in terms of both speech recognition and data sources just yet. Hold out hope that it will happen sooner rather than later!
    Thank you Jay. :)
    04-03-2014 01:05 PM
    exactly even siri was not available everywhere at first, cortana hasnt even come out yet
    im sure itll be a great assistant
    04-03-2014 01:06 PM
    Disappointing that it is US only, but no difference from other platforms adding features in their home area first

When I moved to WP I didn't even know what Cortana was, so I can wait for these added features, my phone still does what I bought it for

Looking forward to hearing how it all works from the US users
    04-03-2014 01:12 PM
    I think my point about certain folks has been proven above...
    04-03-2014 01:15 PM
    Disappointing that it is US only, but no difference from other platforms adding features in their home area first

When I moved to WP I didn't even know what Cortana was, so I can wait for these added features, my phone still does what I bought it for

Looking forward to hearing how it all works from the US users
    I'll make sure to answer what questions I can once the preview drops. If you have any feel free to ask me at any time.
    Karthik Naik and paulsalter like this.
    04-03-2014 01:15 PM
    Wrong. I have a coworker who is a British citizen. Her phone has to be on UK in order to understand her. Her phone does not understand her daughter, who has spent her entire life here in the US, and therefore does not have the UK accent. Her daughter's phone is on US to understand her. Neither of them can speak to the other's phone. Both are using iPhones.

Even when English is the language in use, regional dialects do matter when it comes to voice recognition.
    yeah thats true!!im from india and i dont have the 'indian' accent everyone thinks we have :D but ive done a few courses from Trinity college , London and my english is excellent but siri has a terrible voice recognition for users outside us/uk
    on the other hand , wp8's voice thingy which comes up when u hold the start button has the English (India) option and it recognises my commands perfectly even the UK/USA option works nearly as good but some words such as Granite etc are pronounced differently in different accents so it has a bit of difficulty with some words but works fine on the india option
    (dunno what its called, if u know pls post it here :) )
    i think cortana is gonna be as accurate as this or even better and i think microsoft and nokia are one of the few companies which give nearly full access to their features to every country,making it US only at the start is justified as long as they release it worldwide soon(their apps are always worth the wait) !! :)
    04-03-2014 01:17 PM
    exactly even siri was not available everywhere at first, cortana hasnt even come out yet
    im sure itll be a great assistant
    what a comment.
    Siri wasn't available everywhere so, cortana is also not available everywhere.
    So, you mean MS is copying Apple.

You should know Apple main market is US and Wp main market is whole world.
    Apple care for it's main market
    MS care ffor US only.
    04-03-2014 01:18 PM
    what a comment.
    Siri wasn't available everywhere so, cortana is also not available everywhere.
    So, you mean MS is copying Apple.

You should know Apple main market is US and Wp main market is whole world.
    Apple care for it's main market
    MS care ffor US only.
    vzn00i8.png
    KrisJoeEll and Karthik Naik like this.
    04-03-2014 01:19 PM
    Google services are much better than MS,
    Search engine, Youtube, gmail, Google now.
    Everything. That is they they beat MS by a long shot everywhere.

And MS isn't a serious company,
    It's lazy and most biased company .
    If you do enough research then you know bing is the main reason why cortana for usa only.
    If you ask bing , lets say weather report, it will simply show you websites not weather.
    So, tell me how Cortana is going to answer you about weather.

So, stop bringing Google and Apple here.
    They are many years ahead of WP.
    I dont like to operate in terms of Black and White. Search and YouTube - agree with you, Google is better. Gmail, hmm my preference is Outlook. Docs - i prefer MS service. Google now - available in my country but no one of my fren ds are using it.

Regarding weather - cortana will use data from bing weather App, just like in desktop. MS have Great Apps where cortana may get data.

Im ex android user, was early adopter of Galaxy S. But I quality of Wp instead of functions of android
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    04-03-2014 01:20 PM
    lol whats with the hate in this thread? microsoft isnt racist , cortana is a beta product!! if they would have released it today itself people would have been moaning about the bugs and critisize its recognition of non-us accents!! give them some time and keep calm and wait!!
    04-03-2014 01:21 PM
159 ... 34567