Cortana only starting in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
So they do this to not disappoint the other countries? Aaaa, okay, now I'm happy...

That's why they do everything this way. I've tried to explain to folks before, but the instant they hear that I've spent time working as a contractor for MS usually they get super upset and assume bias.

The reason for US-only or limited region launches is to give them to time to work on localization and various other fixes that are required to comply with local laws so they can push for more regions as time goes on.

That's why you see everything Microsoft does (outside of Windows and Office essentially) being released as staged releases that occur over several months.

MS can't provide Cortana to other counties because till now they only focus USA.
Their services like bing never meant for other countries.

So, MS doesn't have a choice but to release Cortana in USA only.

I think it's time MS start think global not just USA.

and please enough with that excuses. We all know better why Cortana isn't release for rest of the world.

You can say that all you want. It doesn't change the truth...so why not stop with the assumptions and rudeness?

what is more baffling, WP's growing markets are Europe and Latin America. Guess who isn't getting this?. instead of doubling down rewarding users where they are LOVING you with nice features first, they give them the finger. when will they learn to stop the war on their customers? In fact the US market should be a secondary concern for Redmond at this point since they've thrown everything US first and what was the result? 4% share?

No one is giving anyone the finger. They release in their home region first because that's where they are located and it's easier to get a product finished in your home region when it comes to laws and localization as mentioned earlier.

All of this false outrage is just nonsense.

That makes no sense. If ever there were a language/dialect with a HUGE quantity of voice training data, it is the US English variant. MS should be launching in at least all the major English-speaking countries if this were true.

It's not just localization (although that is a big factor) but also compliance with local laws. It can take time to make sure a feature or set of features not only works well, but also complies with all regulations. It's easier to prepare for your home region first, and then expand out afterwards.

Do you want to know something I find truly hilarious about all of this? In my nearly 20 years working in this industry MS is the only company that I ever see treated this way by folks. It's like you assume we're all some evil overlords that want to taunt you with tech and hold it back....like some technology boogie man that will steal your souls while you're not looking.

I'm sorry, but that sort of thinking wasn't even true in the 90s when MS was at its most devious. I mean seriously giving customers the middle finger? That would be ludicrous.

Last edited:

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
So second half of 2014 for China/UK, and the wonderfully vague "...into 2015" for the rest of us.

The 'reasons' have been explained but still...huge disappointment.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No, it is not racist. I expect that Cortana will be available in many countries and in many languages eventually. The US users will essentially be the beta testers to work out the bugs.

Siri for iOS was not available worldwide either upon launch.

Seranova

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I understand the disappointment and frustration, and I am not going to tell people they shouldn't feel that way.

However, it does make sense that Cortana is tested out to a smaller market first before rolling it out elsewhere. Throwing the racism card out is also tacky and baseless.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk!

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
No, it is not racist. I expect that Cortana will be available in many countries and in many languages eventually. The US users will essentially be the beta testers to work out the bugs.

Siri for iOS was not available worldwide either upon launch.

Indeed, but for some reason it just seems fashionable to still throw shade at MS instead of realizing that a lot of companies roll-out things in their home regions first.

I've never seen someone call Sony racist when they rollout some region specific updates in Japan for users there...

bashbaliga

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think its racist, But really sad that MS doesn't give a **** about the rest of the world, And their excuse is hilarious, We will never see cortana for a long long time.

Proof ? Local scout, Audio recognition, Podcasts for ****s sake are still not available.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think its racist, But really sad that MS doesn't give a **** about the rest of the world, And their excuse is hilarious, We will never see cortana for a long long time.

Proof ? Local scout, Audio recognition, Podcasts for ****s sake are still not available.

Then please feel free to buy a product from another platform that better suits your needs. None of us will ever force you to buy something you don't want. :)

Here's what folks don't seem to understand. It wouldn't be in the best interests of MS to make customers angry. I mean seriously what company would set out to drive customers away?

That makes no sense whatsoever, and is not indicative of how I, nor anyone else I've met in my years with MS, feel about our customers.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Eh, it's all about choosing your compromise tbh. Do you release early in the US and branch out from there, or do you keep everyone waiting - perhaps until its too late - for it to be available worldwide?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Then please feel free to buy a product from another platform that better suits your needs.

Many people will, I assure you.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Eh, it's all about choosing your compromise tbh. Do you release early in the US and branch out from there, or do you keep everyone waiting - perhaps until its too late - for it to be available worldwide?

Bingo, you have the trade-off of waiting longer to roll-out a global launch, or you launch at home first and branch out. Tons of companies operate this way, and it has nothing to do with hating customers or racism.

That's totally fine with me. :)

bashbaliga

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Then please feel free to buy a product from another platform that better suits your needs. None of us will ever force you to buy something you don't want. :)

Here's what folks don't seem to understand. It wouldn't be in the best interests of MS to make customers angry. I mean seriously what company would set out to drive customers away?

That makes no sense whatsoever, and is not indicative of how I, nor anyone else I've met in my years with MS, feel about our customers.

See, This is not the attitude a global company should be having if they even plan to dominate world market share, Delaying services for 2-3 years is not professional for a company of Microsoft's calibre, we are talking about the worlds largest software company.

And when Sony does it, It's 2-3 months delay, when MS does it, Its 2-3 years. :|

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
See, This is not the attitude a global company should be having if they even plan to dominate world market share, Delaying services for 2-3 years is not professional for a company of Microsoft's calibre, we are talking about the worlds largest software company.

And when Sony does it, It's 2-3 months delay, when MS does it, Its 2-3 years. :|

Ok fine. Post a source that proves that Cortana will be delayed by 2-3 years or admit that you're just assuming that with no factual basis. :)

Those are the only 2 options that exist, either you have a source or you're making up a story to make yourself feel better.

Also I want evidence of these 2-3 year delays. I can provide plenty of evidence to the contrary. The facts are on my side here. :)

bashbaliga

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok fine. Post a source that proves that Cortana will be delayed by 2-3 years or admit that you're just assuming that with no factual basis. :)

Those are the only 2 options that exist, either you have a source or you're making up a story to make yourself feel better.

Also I want evidence of these 2-3 year delays. I can provide plenty of evidence to the contrary. The facts are on my side here. :)

MAN, you seem to be on a roll here, Things that come to my mind are local scout, podcasts & audio recognition.

PS: I don't hate you, Just having a healthy debate.

derDaniel

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to turn your location to US an use cortana on your phone?
I am having it kinda that way on my Lumia 920 right now.

PS. What I don't really care about is that it will be rolled out later, though I know that voice commending as comlex as cortana can't be implemented like once an then it works forever. It needs training like a real sportsman.
What I am really concerned about is that Bing is not that good here in Germany. I would really like to know some facts about how Bing is going to improve in Germany in comparison to Google.
I tried to "switch" several times, but it is just not possible here in Germany yet.

Last edited:

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I doubt all country can use cortana since Local scout, Audio recognition and some bing feature still not available for a long time ago.

I call it rasist because some bing feature not related with "language" still not availabe, such as, I can't do feature like 5+7 in my bing(in my country set) or like do money currency where other search engine never do it from the first time.
You guys must be blame us because you don't know and don't feel it.
At least we can try it with "beta" label on it or with information "this might be not perform perfectly in your country or other language" or something like that, better than not give it a try at all.

Don't assume I hate MS or Bing. I love them, I use it everyday but I hate differentiation.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Nobody cares for cortana it's just a gimmick like Motorola x voice feature.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

rculver9056

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

That's a bit harsh.
I can understand about the beta test stuff (annoying as it is lol), but Microsoft do favour the U.S.
Bing rewards, offers available in U.S. only, Microsoft Store deals, again U.S. only.

I am a huge Microsoft fan, but I too find this stuff frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786