Cortana only starting in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Terrible case of "I'm all right, Jack" from one particular poster on this thread.

Considering my work history, specifically as regards Xbox, Windows Phone, and Zune I also know far more about things than the average user.

Would you prefer I lie and pretend otherwise?

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
To release cortana for the rest of the world microsoft will first release Bing services to the rest of the world..
well maybe that's the reason why microsoft is taking hell lot of time to release cortana..!!
It wont be wrong to consider this as the "Biggest Disappointment".. But i am happy that atleast we are getting the all those most-wanted features.. :happy:

Nima Michail Nikou

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Why? I don't get it...the amount of peeps here, Europe, VS the puny amount in the US that are windows phone 8 owners...why try it out over there? The US folks barely leave their neighborhood or don't even have a passport. We need to put Cortana more to the test with the likes of "what highway/flight to leave Paris for Denmark?" or "top underground clubs in Berlin/Cannes or Stockholm?" then "where is the nearest pizza restaurant?" or "should I bring with me an umbrella tomorrow?"..we actually watch the news in Europe.

HarkAtYou

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I am in your position on many things. I cannot access BBC content online even as a subscriber to BBC America due to UK geofencing.

I cannot have specific food items at chain restaurants that are served in other countries.

I cannot buy certain games unless I buy a different region console.

I cannot enter specific contests that are held in other counties by large multi-national corporations.

Should I whine like a small child over it?

Please grow up.

The iPlayer is paid for from the TV licence fee paid in the UK. You don't pay for it, so you cant access it. How is that the same as charging people in the UK more for your devices but giving them less features... Still waiting for one guide roll out on xbox one. And unsurprisingly we speak English so Cortana can understand us.

Does Cortana not use the same service as Xbox for voice recognition?

And also I think you said siri wasn't available everywhere at first. It was available to almost all English speaking countries at the same time.

I can understand not rolling out the final build to everyone at once, but to not roll out the beta seems strange.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know when this will be released in Canada? I know it's US first and UK/China were mentioned, didn't see anything about Canada though.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
@Morpheus Phreak
Yep , I am going to say What I want and that doesn't change the truth that MS team are sooooo lazy and biased that they only focus on USA and doesn't improve their services at all.
Check out bing, look like any poor quality search engine in my country.
That is the sole reason why Cortana just work in USA.

MS is so narrow minded that they never care about rest of the world.

If MS more focus on improving it's service(like bing) quality instead of bullying Google services we might be using Cortana just like USA citizens.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
No, it is not racist. I expect that Cortana will be available in many countries and in many languages eventually. The US users will essentially be the beta testers to work out the bugs.

Siri for iOS was not available worldwide either upon launch.

So, MS is going to follow Apple path.
If Apple doesn't provide that features means MS also can't.
Is that what you mean?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The iPlayer is paid for from the TV licence fee paid in the UK. You don't pay for it, so you cant access it. How is that the same as charging people in the UK more for your devices but giving them less features... Still waiting for one guide roll out on xbox one. And unsurprisingly we speak English so Cortana can understand us.

Does Cortana not use the same service as Xbox for voice recognition?

And also I think you said siri wasn't available everywhere at first. It was available to almost all English speaking countries at the same time.

I can understand not rolling out the final build to everyone at once, but to not roll out the beta seems strange.

Actually that was someone else who mentioned Siri I believe.

As regards the BBC statement. I understand how licensing works for television in the UK. I also know that they could create a simple verification system similar to HBO Go or Hulu or various other channels that offer online access where they could have me sign-in via my television providers credentials to verify that I am a BBC America subscriber if they really wanted to.

So shouldn't I be angry that they are intentionally being racist against American's? I mean after all that is the actual accusations being leveled at MS by some here on the site.

I can tell you right now you probably won't win a debate against me since understanding geofencing and its limitations is something I have to understand very well for my particular career. :p

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
@Morpheus Phreak
Yep , I am going to say What I want and that doesn't change the truth that MS team are sooooo lazy and biased that they only focus on USA and doesn't improve their services at all.
Check out bing, look like any poor quality search engine in my country.
That is the sole reason why Cortana just work in USA.

MS is so narrow minded that they never care about rest of the world.

If MS more focus on improving it's service(like bing) quality instead of bullying Google services we might be using Cortana just like USA citizens.

Say what you want. The awesome thing is that reality doesn't require you to agree with it for it to exist. ;)

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know when this will be released in Canada? I know it's US first and UK/China were mentioned, didn't see anything about Canada though.

Usually Canada gets things in one of 3 time frames.

1. Same time as the US.
2. Same time as the UK.
3. Same time as France.

The last one can sometimes be the case with voice functionality so the French language support can be localized and ready to go so that all of Canada is good to go at once. :)

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
And I think the US would be a better place if California and Illinois would form their own union... :wink:

Probably. I know sometimes I feel like I would be happy if Washington state were separate sometimes. We tend to march to our own beat up here. In reality I wish Washington would become part of Canada. I love Canada. :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
.....And unsurprisingly we speak English so Cortana can understand us.....
Wrong. I have a coworker who is a British citizen. Her phone has to be on UK in order to understand her. Her phone does not understand her daughter, who has spent her entire life here in the US, and therefore does not have the UK accent. Her daughter's phone is on US to understand her. Neither of them can speak to the other's phone. Both are using iPhones.

Even when English is the language in use, regional dialects do matter when it comes to voice recognition.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Probably. I know sometimes I feel like I would be happy if Washington state were separate sometimes. We tend to march to our own beat up here. In reality I wish Washington would become part of Canada. I love Canada. :)
I've only been to Canada once, and that was a stop in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on the way home from the Arctic Circle. My impression: IT'S WAY TOO COLD! LOL

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Wrong. I have a coworker who is a British citizen. Her phone has to be on UK in order to understand her. Her phone does not understand her daughter, who has spent her entire life here in the US, and therefore does not have the UK accent. Her daughter's phone is on US to understand her. Neither of them can speak to the other's phone. Both are using iPhones.

Even when English is the language in use, regional dialects do matter when it comes to voice recognition.

Indeed localization work can be tricky for regional dialects. That is another reason especially with voice work MS usually does localization work here first.

We have all kinds of dialects and even languages in different parts of the country. As a melting pot it's easier to do all the hard work of seeing if vocal recognition works here first and then fine tune it elsewhere later. :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Indeed localization work can be tricky for regional dialects. That is another reason especially with voice work MS usually does localization work here first.

We have all kinds of dialects and even languages in different parts of the country. As a melting pot it's easier to do all the hard work of seeing if vocal recognition works here first and then fine tune it elsewhere later. :)
Don't I know it. I'm a Midwesterner (Northern Indiana) married to a Georgian! I continually tell my wife that I come from the part of the country with no accent! :wink: I mean, when she uses expressions like, "What in the cathair is that?" How's a phone supposed to deal with that???

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't I know it. I'm a Midwesterner (Northern Indiana) married to a Georgian! I continually tell my wife that I come from the part of the country with no accent! :wink: I mean, when she uses expressions like, "What in the cathair is that?" How's a phone supposed to deal with that???

looking up items most likely stuck in cat hair, will respond in Yoda speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss