Cortana only starting in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
What is Awesome?
Cortana just for USA is Awesome for you but not for me.

I believe I was perfectly clear. I said that it is awesome that reality doesn't require that you agree with it for it to exist.
In other words your view isn't how things really are and you believing them to be so doesn't change the reality, and the fact that reality doesn't bend due to perceptions is awesome. :)

Sonsebelhamasun

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
As regards the BBC statement. I understand how licensing works for television in the UK. I also know that they could create a simple verification system similar to HBO Go or Hulu or various other channels that offer online access where they could have me sign-in via my television providers credentials to verify that I am a BBC America subscriber if they really wanted to.

I think it would more feel like: They made it for the (English speaking) subscribers of "BBC Northpole" but not for the US. Why? Nobody knows...

I don't say that it is easy, as there are laws Microsoft needs to observe (like with the FAA mentioned before). But this is how it sometimes FEELS like... It already exists but is limited to the US.

Calling Microsoft Racist for that is just ... -.-

Have a nice day =)

d_abbatelli

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
To me, the point is not whether or not MS cares about non-US market. Of course they do.
The problem is that they are REALLY BAD at managing a global market, especially when compared to the competitors.

Cortana is only the last of a long series of Microsoft US-only features.
Heck, how did we hope to receive Cortana together with the US, when they can't even manage to have a worldwide launch for the stupid Bing calculator?

The consequence of this incapacity are evident: what is the share of Bing in Europe? Does it reach 2%?
If the thing doesn't show up quite as much on the european Windows Phone sales, it is just thanks to Nokia, but it sure is something that MS has to solve, and fast.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I believe I was perfectly clear. I said that it is awesome that reality doesn't require that you agree with it for it to exist.
In other words your view isn't how things really are and you believing them to be so doesn't change the reality, and the fact that reality doesn't bend due to perceptions is awesome. :)

Hey Morpheus Phreak, I agree with most of your comments here, but you have to understand many of us non Americans are disappointed in the case of Cortana. So instead of condescending them, try to see things from their perspective.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site

I still don't understand what you are calling Awesome?

I think you are confused between the word "awesome" with "disappointing".

If you don't mind can I ask which country you are from?
and why you are so happy with that the Cortana is just for USA only?

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

I think you're completely misunderstanding him, and to such an extent that makes me wonder if you're doing this intentionally just to continue arguing.
It's perfectly clear why and in what context he used the word awesome and it had nothing to do with the fact that Cortana is US only for the time being. Also none of his posts suggest that his is happy with Cortana being US only, he was just trying to explain the reason behind the decision to do so.
Move on!

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey Morpheus Phreak, I agree with most of your comments here, but you have to understand many of us non Americans are disappointed in the case of Cortana. So instead of condescending them, try to see things from their perspective.

I cannot see the side of those who accuse my friends and coworkers of being racist or of not giving a s**t about the world when I know how hard they work their asses off day in and say out. The nights they don't go home and nap on futons to make sure things are done when they could be spending time with their families.

I'm one of those people. So they are by extension telling me that I'm a racist and that I don't care. They will not earn my kindness or respect that way.

They will however always get my total honesty regardless of how little they may like it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

1. He didn't say that he was happy that Cortana was US only. It seems to me that he just accepted the fact that it is.
2. As he explained, what he was saying was awesome was the fact that what a person believes doesn't change reality. It has nothing to do with Cortana, BUILD, or anything else Microsoft.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I think you're completely misunderstanding him, and to such an extent that makes me wonder if you're doing this intentionally just to continue arguing.
It's perfectly clear why and in what context he used the word awesome and it had nothing to do with the fact that Cortana is US only for the time being. Also none of his posts suggest that his is happy with Cortana being US only, he was just trying to explain the reason behind the decision to do so.
Move on!

It has to be intentional at this point.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I thought this topic was only about "Cortana for USA only"?
So, I was making relation of his comment with topic.......

I don't know their was something else going on.

Right now I am very much disappointing,
No File Manager, No Cortana.

Anyway ,I apologize for this mistake.

HarkAtYou

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Actually that was someone else who mentioned Siri I believe.

As regards the BBC statement. I understand how licensing works for television in the UK. I also know that they could create a simple verification system similar to HBO Go or Hulu or various other channels that offer online access where they could have me sign-in via my television providers credentials to verify that I am a BBC America subscriber if they really wanted to.

So shouldn't I be angry that they are intentionally being racist against American's? I mean after all that is the actual accusations being leveled at MS by some here on the site.

I can tell you right now you probably won't win a debate against me since understanding geofencing and its limitations is something I have to understand very well for my particular career. :p

I'm not looking to debate it, but your subscription fee for BBC America doesn't contribute to iPlayer. It is just paid for Discovery to licence the BBC programmes it shows.

There is also licencing issues, BBC America only showes a small selection of the programming from BBC 1,2,3,4, News, Parliament, CBBC, CBeebies, S4C, Alba, etc. But also gives you programs from non BBC UK channels. So providing you with access to iPlayer requires further work to limit you to the small selection of programmes you're allowed. I understand you can still access the BBC radio stations in the US online.

The main issue is that BBC America is essentially not a BBC channel. It is basically like any other US channel provided by discovery but with BBC branding. It is part owned by BBC but that's as far as it goes.

So your point is the same as saying, "I have an iPhone that can open MS office documents, so why cant I have Cortana" They're entirely different services provided by different companies, and you pay for one and not the other.

Having two otherwise identical Lumias and one can do it whilst one cant.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I cannot see the side of those who accuse my friends and coworkers of being racist or of not giving a s**t about the world when I know how hard they work their asses off day in and say out. The nights they don't go home and nap on futons to make sure things are done when they could be spending time with their families.

I'm one of those people. So they are by extension telling me that I'm a racist and that I don't care. They will not earn my kindness or respect that way.

They will however always get my total honesty regardless of how little they may like it.

Well said. But the one who used the racist card was 'rubenwidjaja' and he deserved all your anger. But there are others in this forum who was treated as they said it. And since you are living in the US (I looked at your profile) they feel like you are more privileged than them and each time you reply, you make them antagonize you more.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not looking to debate it, but your subscription fee for BBC America doesn't contribute to iPlayer. It is just paid for Discovery to licence the BBC programmes it shows.

There is also licencing issues, BBC America only showes a small selection of the programming from BBC 1,2,3,4, News, Parliament, CBBC, CBeebies, S4C, Alba, etc. But also gives you programs from non BBC UK channels. So providing you with access to iPlayer requires further work to limit you to the small selection of programmes you're allowed. I understand you can still access the BBC radio stations in the US online.

The main issue is that BBC America is essentially not a BBC channel. It is basically like any other US channel provided by discovery but with BBC branding. It is part owned by BBC but that's as far as it goes.

So your point is the same as saying, "I have an iPhone that can open MS office documents, so why cant I have Cortana" They're entirely different services provided by different companies, and you pay for one and not the other.

Having two otherwise identical Lumias and one can do it whilst one cant.

I wasn't aware of that particular technical point. However the basic analogy still stands from a hypothetical standpoint

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Well said. But the one who used the racist card was 'rubenwidjaja' and he deserved all your anger. But there are others in this forum who was treated as they said it. And since you are living in the US (I looked at your profile) they feel like you are more privileged than them and each time you reply, you make them antagonize you more.

I cannot help the reactions of others to the truth. As I've pointed out other countries also have benefits they get with some products that the US doesn't get either. I mentioned earlier an example about Sony and exclusive titles and features in Japan.

Nintendo released crippled versions of the Famicom and Super Famicom in the US.

I don't see the need for hate for any reason over it. I don't get angry at things other places have that I can't.

Heck I'm just happy that we finally have a nearby fry shop that finally just opened that makes decent poutine and I'm hoping we get a Tim Horton's down her soon. That doesn't mean I get mad at Canada or those living there for the things I can't have, or in the case of Cortana (for them) may have to wait for.

Make sense? :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I cannot help the reactions of others to the truth. As I've pointed out other countries also have benefits they get with some products that the US doesn't get either. I mentioned earlier an example about Sony and exclusive titles and features in Japan.

I don't see the need for hate for any reason over it. I don't get angry at things other places have that I can't.

Heck I'm just happy that we finally have a nearby fry shop that finally just opened that makes decent poutine and I'm hoping we get a Tim Horton's down her soon. That doesn't mean I get mad at Canada or those living there for the things I can't have, or in the case of Cortana (for them) may have to wait for.

Well-stated. Instead of the "why can't I have this" attitude, I choose the "thank you for providing that" option.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Well-stated. Instead of the "why can't I have this" attitude, I choose the "thank you for providing that" option.

Exactly. I find my life is much happier when I focus on that viewpoint. :)

Sure it would be awesome if everyone could have everything all at once. That's just not how the world works at the moment so I'll take what I can get and be happy when I can get more later. :)

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Sometimes the truth hurts, especially for those who gets the bitter end.

My native language is not English and it take 2~3 times of re-reading what you said for me to fully understand it. But yes it makes sense, but seeing that we still don't have most of the Bing features and Cortana being rumored to come only next year, you have to understand that some users have the right to show some emotion. And I don't blame you, US or Microsoft in that matter.

All am asking is, when someone who doesn't have a choice comes in with an opinion that you don't like, please don't try to argue and win just ignore it.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes the truth hurts, especially for those who gets the bitter end.

My native language is not English and it take 2~3 times of re-reading what you said for me to fully understand it. But yes it makes sense, but seeing that we still don't have most of the Bing features and Cortana being rumored to come only next year, you have to understand that some users have the right to show some emotion. And I don't blame you, US or Microsoft in that matter.

All am asking is, when someone who doesn't have a choice comes in with an opinion that you don't like, please don't try to argue and win just ignore it.

Fair enough. I generally do unless I see a chance to educate. I believe that even if I'm hated for it that explaining to someone how things work is preferable to letting them carry on with a mistaken belief.

If they hate me for it, I can still feel absolved because I made the attempt. :)

BTW your English is far better than my...well any language other than English. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077