Cortana only starting in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I cannot help the reactions of others to the truth. As I've pointed out other countries also have benefits they get with some products that the US doesn't get either. I mentioned earlier an example about Sony and exclusive titles and features in Japan.

Nintendo released crippled versions of the Famicom and Super Famicom in the US.

I don't see the need for hate for any reason over it. I don't get angry at things other places have that I can't.

Heck I'm just happy that we finally have a nearby fry shop that finally just opened that makes decent poutine and I'm hoping we get a Tim Horton's down her soon. That doesn't mean I get mad at Canada or those living there for the things I can't have, or in the case of Cortana (for them) may have to wait for.

Make sense? :)

Interesting. I didn't realize putting gravy on fries was such a difficult thing to come by. Same with coffee.

How about if I told you that you cannot have poutine outside of Quebec? Even if you have the fries, the gravy and the tools to cook it? That's what not having Bing search features in Canada is like compared to the US. There is no logistical or logical reason why it won't work, they just dont let us have it.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I didn't realize putting gravy on fries was such a difficult thing to come by. Same with coffee.

How about if I told you that you cannot have poutine outside of Quebec? Even if you have the fries, the gravy and the tools to cook it? That's what not having Bing search features in Canada is like compared to the US. There is no logistical or logical reason why it won't work, they just dont let us have it.
Your sarcasm earns you no respect from me, nor does your flawed analogy, nor your lack of knowledge of internal MS decision making or the logistics behind it.

As I told someone earlier, reality doesn't tally up with the story you want to tell. It's fine that you feel that way, but do you really feel that they are just withholding it for fun?

Only someone unintelligent withholds something easily given that will make them more money. To not provide what customers want out of sheer spite would be stupidity at its highest level...and no one at MS is that stupid.

As regards poutine. It's hard to find someone who can make it decently here in the US. Also realize I live just outside Seattle. There's a billion and one coffee shop's...but none as good as Timmy's for the Timbits and non-bitter coffee. Too many places burn their beans around here.

Foma Kiniaev

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
What a hot debate.. Im not in US, and for Sure will not see Cortana for a year or so. But Cortana shows how important for MS is release of decent finished product. They dont use customer, like googgle, to polish their 'alpha' versions publicized as 'revolutionary product' MS - serious Enterprise.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Ironically, I'd say that Cortana is actually evidence that Microsoft want Bing to be a competent search engine outside of the US. Eventually, anyway.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Seen some ridiculous replies here guys. Disappointment makes sense as we all want access to cool new features of course, but it's clear that Microsoft will work hard to bring this project to the rest of the world, there's no reason for them not to! It just isn't ready for localisation in terms of both speech recognition and data sources just yet. Hold out hope that it will happen sooner rather than later!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Wrong. I have a coworker who is a British citizen. Her phone has to be on UK in order to understand her. Her phone does not understand her daughter, who has spent her entire life here in the US, and therefore does not have the UK accent. Her daughter's phone is on US to understand her. Neither of them can speak to the other's phone. Both are using iPhones.

Even when English is the language in use, regional dialects do matter when it comes to voice recognition.

And don't forget regional dialects within the SAME COUNTRY. Leeds vs Cambridge for example. The two accents are WILDLY different. One botches the English language so much it might as well be Wengrish, the other is really posh Queen's English.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Seen some ridiculous replies here guys. Disappointment makes sense as we all want access to cool new features of course, but it's clear that Microsoft will work hard to bring this project to the rest of the world, there's no reason for them not to! It just isn't ready for localisation in terms of both speech recognition and data sources just yet. Hold out hope that it will happen sooner rather than later!

Thank you Jay. :)

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Disappointing that it is US only, but no difference from other platforms adding features in their home area first

When I moved to WP I didn't even know what Cortana was, so I can wait for these added features, my phone still does what I bought it for

Looking forward to hearing how it all works from the US users

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Disappointing that it is US only, but no difference from other platforms adding features in their home area first

When I moved to WP I didn't even know what Cortana was, so I can wait for these added features, my phone still does what I bought it for

Looking forward to hearing how it all works from the US users

I'll make sure to answer what questions I can once the preview drops. If you have any feel free to ask me at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs