Cortana only starting in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Wrong. I have a coworker who is a British citizen. Her phone has to be on UK in order to understand her. Her phone does not understand her daughter, who has spent her entire life here in the US, and therefore does not have the UK accent. Her daughter's phone is on US to understand her. Neither of them can speak to the other's phone. Both are using iPhones.

Even when English is the language in use, regional dialects do matter when it comes to voice recognition.

yeah thats true!!im from india and i dont have the 'indian' accent everyone thinks we have :D but ive done a few courses from Trinity college , London and my english is excellent but siri has a terrible voice recognition for users outside us/uk
on the other hand , wp8's voice thingy which comes up when u hold the start button has the English (India) option and it recognises my commands perfectly even the UK/USA option works nearly as good but some words such as Granite etc are pronounced differently in different accents so it has a bit of difficulty with some words but works fine on the india option
(dunno what its called, if u know pls post it here :) )
i think cortana is gonna be as accurate as this or even better and i think microsoft and nokia are one of the few companies which give nearly full access to their features to every country,making it US only at the start is justified as long as they release it worldwide soon(their apps are always worth the wait) !! :)

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
exactly even siri was not available everywhere at first, cortana hasnt even come out yet
im sure itll be a great assistant

what a comment.
Siri wasn't available everywhere so, cortana is also not available everywhere.
So, you mean MS is copying Apple.

You should know Apple main market is US and Wp main market is whole world.
Apple care for it's main market
MS care ffor US only.

Foma Kiniaev

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Google services are much better than MS,
Search engine, Youtube, gmail, Google now.
Everything. That is they they beat MS by a long shot everywhere.

And MS isn't a serious company,
It's lazy and most biased company .
If you do enough research then you know bing is the main reason why cortana for usa only.
If you ask bing , lets say weather report, it will simply show you websites not weather.
So, tell me how Cortana is going to answer you about weather.

So, stop bringing Google and Apple here.
They are many years ahead of WP.

I dont like to operate in terms of Black and White. Search and YouTube - agree with you, Google is better. Gmail, hmm my preference is Outlook. Docs - i prefer MS service. Google now - available in my country but no one of my fr?en ds are using it.

Regarding weather - cortana will use data from bing weather App, just like in desktop. MS have Great Apps where cortana may get data.

Im ex android user, was early adopter of Galaxy S. But I quality of Wp instead of functions of android

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
lol whats with the hate in this thread? microsoft isnt racist , cortana is a beta product!! if they would have released it today itself people would have been moaning about the bugs and critisize its recognition of non-us accents!! give them some time and keep calm and wait!!

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I dont like to operate in terms of Black and White. Search and YouTube - agree with you, Google is better. Gmail, hmm my preference is Outlook. Docs - i prefer MS service. Google now - available in my country but no one of my fr?en ds are using it.

Regarding weather - cortana will use data from bing weather App, just like in desktop. MS have Great Apps where cortana may get data.

Im ex android user, was early adopter of Galaxy S. But I quality of Wp instead of functions of android

My friends and family use Google now very often.
and I was also planning to show mine but MS just ruin it and worse made them available for US only.

You and your friends circle doesn't use , so you have no problem with that but I have

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Your sarcasm earns you no respect from me, nor does your flawed analogy, nor your lack of knowledge of internal MS decision making or the logistics behind it.

Your condescending tone is exactly what I would expect from someone making the baseless assertions you are.
How is my analogy flawed? Exactly how?
Canadians have very similar accents to Americans just south of the border (Quebecois aside), the data on bing demonstrably adequate as we can set WP7 devices to US search language and utilize the local scout feature just fine, and there is no legal regulations preventing us from using search features in Bing. My analogy describes this scenario perfectly. All the parts are available, they are simply saying NO to allowing us to use them.
As I told someone earlier, reality doesn't tally up with the story you want to tell. It's fine that you feel that way, but do you really feel that they are just withholding it for fun?.

How does reality not tally up to what I said? What knowledge do you have, oh wisest of commenters, that I am not privy to?
And no, I don't make assumptions as to why they are holding it back. I recognize that, with the information publicly available, there is no logically justifiable reason to withhold search and voice command features from Canadians.
Only someone unintelligent withholds something easily given that will make them more money. To not provide what customers want out of sheer spite would be stupidity at its highest level...and no one at MS is that stupid.?.

Please provide me with the part where I made such an assertion? See my reply above about what information is available and what can logically be inferred from that.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
lol whats with the hate in this thread? microsoft isnt racist , cortana is a beta product!! if they would have released it today itself people would have been moaning about the bugs and critisize its recognition of non-us accents!! give them some time and keep calm and wait!!

Then why USA?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Your condescending tone is exactly what I would expect from someone making the baseless assertions you are.
How is my analogy flawed? Exactly how?
Canadians have very similar accents to Americans just south of the border (Quebecois aside), the data on bing demonstrably adequate as we can set WP7 devices to US search language and utilize the local scout feature just fine, and there is no legal regulations preventing us from using search features in Bing. My analogy describes this scenario perfectly. All the parts are available, they are simply saying NO to allowing us to use them.

How does reality not tally up to what I said? What knowledge do you have, oh wisest of commenters, that I am not privy to?
And no, I don't make assumptions as to why they are holding it back. I recognize that, with the information publicly available, there is no logically justifiable reason to withhold search and voice command features from Canadians.

Please provide me with the part where I made such an assertion? See my reply above about what information is available and what can logically be inferred from that.

You should really just look up my resume. My name is Shane Nokes. You'll see why I know what I know. I've already stated it several times outright...

As regards the money... Microsoft intentionally holding out on other regions means they don't make money. Microsoft intentionally trying to be racist would upset people and prevent them from making money.

They are in the business of making money, which means trying to get things to users as quickly as is feasible in order to make a profit from you.

Even the stupidest person I've ever met realizes that a company has to have customers in order to make money, and you don't get customers by intentionally doing things to upset them.

I mean seriously...that's logic for pre-schoolers.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft isn't lazy. They are serious. What you need to understand is, MS makes more profit from its Enterprise services than Xbox, Windows And Windows Phone.
So Given they are doing this much for WP is commendable and Satya Nadela himself said that they will now focus more in Windows Phones.
MS is bringing their A-game with Cortana. Let them debug it, improve it and watch as it will dominate the competition (Slowly :p)

WP. only bring waiting.
Waiting for apps
Waiting for games
Waiting for basic features
And now waiting for cortana.

WP doesn't feel like Windows Phone, it's feels more like Waiting Phone

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Then why USA?
Because Microsoft is based in the US and it's easiest to program and localize there first since that's where almost all of the people working on it are located. Also the initial voice functionality for Cortana is being voiced by the voice actress who plays Cortana in the Halo games. So it's easier to get everything recorded in English first and make sure everything is working.

All of this has already been explained to death of course, and you already know this...but for some reason you persist in pretending you don't understand something for some sort of game, and it's not funny.

South-Park-Cable-Exec.jpg

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Then why USA?
Because it's the market they most want to make gains in. No matter how successful Microsoft is around the world with this platform, their poor market share in the US is a weakness for Windows Phone that impacts the willingness of carriers and vendors to adopt it.

Additionally they're constructing the foundation for Cortana before rolling it out to additional markets, a process that will inevitably take time.

There's nothing wrong with being disappointed, deciding that schedule doesn't work for you and moving to another platform. Accusing a company of racism because you're disappointed, however, is at best juvenile.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Folks don't bother. That's why I'm posting South Park pics now....at least I can get a small smile out of that since this person is intentionally acting like they don't understand.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
WP. only bring waiting.
Waiting for apps
Waiting for games
Waiting for basic features
And now waiting for cortana.

WP doesn't feel like Windows Phone, it's feels more like Waiting Phone
I feel like he is simply commenting just to annoy us now. :O

Last edited:

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when the WP team came into Satya Nadella's office to explain their anti-Indian policy.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when the WP team came into Satya Nadella's office to explain their anti-Indian policy.

Indeed. Using the logic shown here he must be self-loathing since people claim this is racially motivated... I mean think about it. He must really hate the country in which he was born if they are telling the truth right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb