Cortana only starting in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
what a comment.
Siri wasn't available everywhere so, cortana is also not available everywhere.
So, you mean MS is copying Apple.

You should know Apple main market is US and Wp main market is whole world.
Apple care for it's main market
MS care ffor US only.

i never said ms copied apple
i choose to ignore u since we dont get along

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Seriously?
Dead serious. I currently have 160 points against me for pointing out the truth to people...because I do so bluntly and don't pull punches and that t word has gotten me in trouble... I even had a moderator warn me when I used it in a feedback post and it wasn't even aimed at anyone...

See here for proof since it seems some folks here (not you) seem to require proof of every word I utter. :p

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wp...25-more-active-policing-news-forum-posts.html

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
You should really just look up my resume. My name is Shane Nokes. You'll see why I know what I know. I've already stated it several times outright...

As regards the money... Microsoft intentionally holding out on other regions means they don't make money. Microsoft intentionally trying to be racist would upset people and prevent them from making money.

They are in the business of making money, which means trying to get things to users as quickly as is feasible in order to make a profit from you.

Even the stupidest person I've ever met realizes that a company has to have customers in order to make money, and you don't get customers by intentionally doing things to upset them.

I mean seriously...that's logic for pre-schoolers.

Everybody look, it's Shane Nokes!
Apparently Shane Nokes needs to work on his reading comprehension. I basically agree with your mission inside this thread, but I think in your haste you have lumped me into the crowd of people ******** and whining when I was not. I made a comment specifically to counter your poutine analogy, which was fallacious and I justified it.

However, my point was specific to Canada. Since you know so much, please explain why Canada - a country that shares much of it's cultural norms with the US - doesn't get voice features alongside the US?

P.S. When you answer, try to be less of a condescending a**. You'll get more of that 'respect' you think Shane Nokes deserves.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks @Morpheus Phreak.

I will be getting the developer preview when it comes. I am hoping to use Cortana by changing the regional settings.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Irrespective of whatever region Microsoft opts-in for first or second, what is a grave error here is - a world wide roll out isn't going to complete before 1 year from announcement. Yes ONE WHOLE YEAR. That is what we should be unhappy about. The fact that Microsoft has given Apple and Google one whole year to innovate on what they've already rolled out world wide (mostly) and are already collecting voice data from since at least 12 months. Microsoft should have come in full throttle with WP8.1 update and not such lack lustre key note speech with 4 or 5 key features, which at best are only catch up features. Microsoft should have had Cortana out of beta and in USA currently at least in full working stage, improving it for a world wide launch soon.

I agree it has all the hurdles for a world wide launch but that doesn't justify playing catch up and being a year late in even that! Internet of things is another example of dreams out there in open for "Apple to innovate" and Google to copy before Microsoft does anything useful with it. Why? Because it is slow in executing.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Everybody look, it's Shane Nokes!

Apparently Shane Nokes needs to work on his reading comprehension. I basically agree with your mission in hill this thread, but I think in your haste you have lumped me into the crowd of people ******** and whining when I was not. I made a comment specifically to counter your poutine analogy, which was fallacious and I justified it.

However, my point was specific to Canada. Since you know so much, please explain why Canada - a country that shares much of it's cultural norms with the US - doesn't get voice features alongside the US?

P.S. When you answer, try to be less of a condescending a**. You'll get more of that 'respect' you think Shane Nokes deserves.

[WARN]Please refrain from making everything personal on this forum. No one is interested in making anyone look less of a man. Just let it go and stay on topic[/WARN]

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Just like with other market it comes down to localization. There's certainly less to do between the US and Canada, but there will still be some work to do. It seems clear they're putting all assets behind getting the base functionality working in what they view as their most important market first, then will reallocate those resources to localization.

Foma Kiniaev

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
My friends and family use Google now very often.
and I was also planning to show mine but MS just ruin it and worse made them available for US only.

You and your friends circle doesn't use , so you have no problem with that but I have

But why you purchased wp so? I mean, there were reasons to do that. Just try to remember what made you buy wp, remember the day you purchased the Phone, remember the unboxing.. And enjoy the experience of following up how the OS is getting better and better each year. On android you'll be just like any other around, with phones that getting Old every six month. I feel my lumia 920 as Modern and up to date as the day i purchased it, and with 8.1 will be even more

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Just like with other market it comes down to localization. There's certainly less to do between the US and Canada, but there will still be some work to do. It seems clear they're putting all assets behind getting the base functionality working in what they view as their most important market first, then will reallocate those resources to localization.

Exactly. As I was saying before they can't just release to only part of Canada without upsetting other parts of Canada.

We're essentially getting an early version to work the kinks out...but people would rather assume that MS is just a bunch of evil jerks who somehow don't like money and just want to flip everyone else that's not American off.

The paranoia or odd pathos required to believe that is not normal. :(

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
[WARN]Please refrain from making everything personal on this forum. No one is interested in making anyone look less of a man. Just let it go and stay on topic[/WARN]

Pardon me, but when someone disingenuously makes assertions about my comments, as well as makes the implication that I'm "unintelligent" (see Shane's rhetoric) I will certainly call them out for it. I would also like to point out that my comments on his attitude are justified and have nothing to do with his person. He is - literally - being disingenuous and condescending to people here.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
No I'm just being honest, but feel free to keep the insults flowing even when staff tells you to stop.

I'm willing to accept the consequences of being honest. :)

You keep trying to change tactics though if you feel better acting this way where everyone can see it. I won't stop you. :)

You do also realize I pointed at my resume for a reason right? There are certain things I legally am not allowed to comment on. That wasn't me being condescending. That was me trying to drop you a huge hint as to how I know what I know.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok they can ban me if they want, but you are now obviously trolling.

Especially when I'm openly telling you that I have spent most of the last 6 years working on Xbox, Zune, and Windows Phone projects on the Microsoft main campus...

I mean how much more obvious do I have to make it?

BTW for anyone reading. His claim that I inferred he is unintelligent is a load of horse puckey. Here's where and how I used the word unintelligent:

"Only someone unintelligent withholds something easily given that will make them more money. To not provide what customers want out of sheer spite would be stupidity at its highest level...and no one at MS is that stupid."

I was saying that a company that behaves poorly towards potential customers purely out of spite would be stupid and unintelligent...but evidently everything is about him. ;)

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Ooh, look at you! Aren't you wonderful!

People ask how I know things and I tell them. Wow, what a concept!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44001395.jpg

BTW, all attempting to troll me is going to do is make me laugh....I mean seriously folks...what you're doing is just behaving badly for attention. If you were my child I'd have spanked you long ago. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss