11-24-2015 11:55 PM
66 123
tools
    Can somebody explain to me how this is complicated?
    Maybe from the prospective of the developers in the creation of Cortana, it would be complicated. To reach the search button to launch Cortana, there is no answer to give you.
    ram7489 likes this.
    04-03-2014 03:01 PM
    Maybe from the prospective of the developers in the creation of Cortana, it would be complicated. To reach the search button to launch Cortana, there is no answer to give you.
    Well, yes, I can understand it would be complicated from a "developers who created it" standpoint. That hardly affects the end user, though. :P
    04-03-2014 03:11 PM
    I, personally, use Cortana every single day. There is not a day that does not go by that I don't use it in one way or another. The reminder options are fantastic, especially being location based. The organization capabilities are staggering. It keeps me from double booking appointments and other activities I track on my calendar. Reading my text messages as they arrive. Totally awesome for driving. Letting me ask her "Where is the closest grocery store?" and have her reply with the name and address. I can tell her to "Navigate There" and she opens my GPS app and navigation is going. Once I told her to "call the store" and she asked me if I wanted to call the store or the pharmacy. I actually wanted to call the pharmacy so she connected me. I told her to remind me about something when I got to work. 3 days later, after I had forgotten, I got a reminder as soon as I walked into my building reminding me to do the task I requested.

It is a LOT easier to use that it looks like. There are some initial setup steps to get her tuned, but it's well worth it.

I know you can't please everyone, but know that you CAN turn her off. :)
    You got an early dev build or are you BS'ing us?
    04-03-2014 03:16 PM
    I believe that was a reference to the HAL-9000, from Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey".

The generation gap sure shows with the name of this assistant thing. Since I don't play video games, and I have no idea what 'Halo' is like, I'm going to join the camp that says Cortana really doesn't make much sense as a name here. Now I know everyone with an Xbox is lining up to write awful, nasty things about me and how stupid I am, so don't waste your time. You won't change my opinion on the name. That said, it does sound like a functional and useful personal assistant, so I could see myself using it. I just don't like the name is all.
    Well that's fine, but the 2 syllable 'rule' is just plain nonsense
    04-03-2014 03:21 PM
    Well that's fine, but the 2 syllable 'rule' is just plain nonsense
    Not necessarily. It actually makes a lot of sense, when you think about it. Two syllable words are easier to remember, easier to pronounce, easier to understand when spoken with an accent, and easier for people of all ages (and some with disabilities) to say. There's a few places that actually recommend it for pet names, such as:

4 Rules for Naming a Pet | Parenting

That said, did Microsoft screw this one up? No, I don't think so. I see the logic of linking the phone to the world of xbox players out there that they're trying to attract. As for the rest of us, we'll either get used to the name, find a way to change it, or just not use it - which we're just as likely to do if it was named Bob, but couldn't function worth a d**n.

Personally, I think it's a bit long of a name, and it really doesn't have much of a meaning to me other than what's on the phone, and I don't care much for it. If there's a way I can change the name of it, yes, that would be the first thing I would do. Am I going to not buy a phone because of it? No, I like all the other features too much.

As for the anger flowing from some people, and the hostility against them for it, that seems excessive - from both sides. Calm down, relax, enjoy the phone.

PS - Have to throw this in.....if I had to give the assistant a three-syllable name, there's only one that comes to mind......."Miranda". Anyone follow?
    ram7489 and JHawk111 like this.
    04-03-2014 04:50 PM
    First rule of naming, like pets, is keep the name to TWO syllables.
    My dog will be so disappointed to hear that. ( Juicifer Beelseblub, for the record )
    04-03-2014 05:05 PM
    MS better advertise the hell out of this including the fact that you have to push the SEARCH Button to access Cortana. The beginning of every Cortana ad has to start with pressing the Search button. Without fail. Microsoft, you better NOT blow this one. MS labs have given you a crown jewel - don't waste it. I'm serious. Really, I am. Don't blow. You better not blow this once in a lifetime chance. I mean really, don't blow it. Don't blow it. Don't. Blow. It.
    ram7489 likes this.
    04-03-2014 06:17 PM
    1. As of the name, YOU can chose what she calls you and you DON'T NEED HER NAME to use her.
    2. In the present early builds, you have to tap the search button and it takes you to Cortana's homepage.
    3. The tasks that you ask it to do are set as reminders, alarms depending on context.
    For example, asking her to REMIND you of something sets a reminder. Telling her that you have an APPOINTMENT sets an appointment (after asking for the extra details about the venue, timings etc.) and so on, so forth.
    4. Currently Cortana isn't on an always listening mode due to battery and resource issues, but MSFT may allow an option for it to be always listening (or wake up when called by name) in the final release build.

PS: Stop ******** and wait till it rolls out and use it if it suits you else just ditch it. YOU can turn it OFF!
    Astropin and jleebiker like this.
    04-04-2014 02:04 AM
    1. As of the name, YOU can chose what she calls you and you DON'T NEED HER NAME to use her.
    'It', not 'her'.
    jswantek likes this.
    04-04-2014 07:56 AM
    o-k-google is four syllable. you're welcome.
    ram7489 likes this.
    04-04-2014 08:17 AM
    Next thing someone will tell me is that Jobs and Wozniak invented the GUI!
    04-04-2014 09:05 AM
    MS better advertise the hell out of this including the fact that you have to push the SEARCH Button to access Cortana. The beginning of every Cortana ad has to start with pressing the Search button. Without fail. Microsoft, you better NOT blow this one. MS labs have given you a crown jewel - don't waste it. I'm serious. Really, I am. Don't blow. You better not blow this once in a lifetime chance. I mean really, don't blow it. Don't blow it. Don't. Blow. It.
    Really? You don't think consumers are capable of learning that it takes the push of a button first? Is it really THAT big a deal? I don't think people are wound THAT tightly that they can't cope with that. Maybe some people are, but I have a feeling most people will get it when they are told they have to push a button first. I don't think this is going to make or break it for them. You're talking about ONE aspect. Relax a little. It's Friday. It's beer o'clock somewhere...
    04-04-2014 11:25 AM
    Her name is not followed that rule, 'cuz she is not your pet :) ... Complaining about the name Cortana is like someone could also say who came up with the name, lancorp? ... Also, how hard is just to press the button and talk? ...

While I am very excited about the upcoming features of 8.1, I have practically ZERO excitement about Cortana.

First, who came up with that name? First rule of naming, like pets, is keep the name to TWO syllables. COR-TA-NA. Three syllables. Is that Spanish for something? Maybe Cortana can tell me what it means when I get 8.1. i-Pad was bad enough with all the jokes about that name. Can't wait to hear what the iSheep will come up with for Cortana.

Second, it looks very complicated. I want easy. As much as I like my 1520, my iPhone is my work phone that I use all day, and I never even use Siri (unless I press the home button too long by mistake).

Personally, I don't see many people, day-to-day, using Siri. Maybe they do, but I never see it. Maybe it's because they don't want everyone around them knowing their business? Maybe I'm just too old.

I think we should have a Poll on who expects to be using Cortana and how often. I'm curious.
    04-04-2014 03:14 PM
    There's no way to pick a name everyone will like.

There's always going to be some old guy complaining too. No way around it when introducing new tech.

I like the name, its super easy to remember. I also hate the name Siri, it sounds like half of a word - but that's just me.
    04-04-2014 03:27 PM
    I have never played Halo and I love the name.

I also think it is cool Microsoft actually stuck with that name. I expected them to change it.
    Astropin, forked and ajb1965 like this.
    04-04-2014 04:46 PM
    The 3 syllables can be an issue if it must be spoken to activate it. It can easily be resolved by allowing users to specify a nickname. Think that "Cortana" is too long? Change it to something shorter, like "Tana".
    04-04-2014 06:12 PM
    Then don't use it Mr. Grumpy-Pants.

First off, the name Cortana was actually just an internal testing name, but due to popular demand, Microsoft kept it as the official name. Where does it come from? From the Halo series, it's Master Chief's (the main character) personal AI assistant. So not only is the original Cortana exactly the same concept as Cortana for Windows Phone, but it's also very well known and popular. Because of that, Microsoft can get a lot of free press by using that name, and easily captivate the attention of the gamer community.

Second off: yes, people don't use Siri. Why? Because it's not practical for day-to-day use, it actually quite sucks. Despite being practically synonymous with "digital assistant" these days, Google Now is often considered far better and way more practical in daily usage could dream of being. But people do cite Google Now's lack of personality, and how there aren't any privacy settings or controls.

This is where Cortana is trying to differentiate herself, by offering the best of both worlds. She'll have the personality and sass of Siri, yet the usefulness of Google Now. But in addition to that, Cortana will also supposedly offer better natural-language recognition, so users won't have to conform to commands, just to use Cortana. She also differs from Google Now in that she offers a notebook. That way, if Cortana gets any of the information on you wrong, you can correct it. Or, if you're a privacy buff: you can use the Notebook to chose what information Cortana is and isn't allowed to look at. So if you say she isn't allowed to look at something, she won't use that as she tries to learn about you.

But most intriguing for people like me, is that Cortana WON'T require you to speak to her. First off, you can use all of her commands via text. Just type in the exact same things you would otherwise say to her, and she'll treat them as normal (and she'll respect the fact that you didn't speak to her, so she won't give a spoken response). But in addition to being able to being able to type in commands (useful for loud areas where she wouldn't be able to hear, in a quiet library, and/or if you're like me and find the idea of talking to your phone awkward): Cortana is weaved throughout the OS. She'll start conversations with you.

For example: if you're texting someone about getting dinner at 8:00pm, Cortana may turn it into a link (similar to how addresses and phone numbers already work). Tap on the link, and a calendar appoint will pop-up with some of the info already filled in. Were you talking about a particular place? That'll already be filled in for you. Time? Check. Invites? Done-and-done.

For me, that's to coolest thing. Whereas Siri and Google Now are completely passive, requiring to user to start conversations with them, Cortana takes a more active role, and will approach you to make your life easier. Once Cortana learns where you work and figures out your daily commute (if you let her, of course. You can always disable what she is and isn't allowed to do), she'll tell you if there's traffic. Google Now would require you ask it if there's traffic, and Siri doesn't even provide traffic information.

But with Cortana, if she detects traffic, she'll send you a notification alerting you there may be a delay, and advise you to leave early and/or offer detours. I think this is incredible, and has me genuinely excited to see it in action.

Granted, there's a huge gap between what Microsoft's vision for what Cortana will do vs. what it can do, and how well it actually pulls it off. But should Cortana live up to hype, then ladies and gentlemen: we've got a winner.

Still not interested? That's fine, then just disable Cortana, and continue to use Bing search as per normal.
    04-05-2014 06:51 PM
    To each their own. I was ecstatic to hear they kept the name and used Jen Taylor for the non synthesized phrases.
    04-06-2014 12:57 PM
    To each their own. I was ecstatic to hear they kept the name and used Jen Taylor for the non synthesized phrases.
    I'm with you.
    04-06-2014 01:09 PM
    Attention! Cortana is our Personal Assistant..!!
    Nt a PET..!!
    If u dnt like the name then dont use cortana..!!

Problem Solved..!!
    Remove this thread.!
    MicrosoftFoLife likes this.
    04-07-2014 01:24 AM
    I think you should have used more exclamation marks. I didn't quite grasp your point without them...
    04-08-2014 02:27 PM
    From what I can tell, you hold the start button.
    04-08-2014 04:53 PM
    WP 8.1 = YES, Cortana = YES, YES, YES (and I'm 47 years old).

Great name! Love that Microsoft followed through with the name due to fan support. (And I'm not a big gamer but I appreciate what they did).

Also (as mentioned earlier) you don't need to ever address her (it) by name.....ever. You can simply state your question.
    SwimSwim and forked like this.
    04-08-2014 07:57 PM
    From what I can tell, you hold the start button.
    Been switched to long-pressing the Search button. Long-pressing the Start button does nothing (much akin to how the Search button currently works in WP8. They're kinda flip-flopping, I suppose).
    04-08-2014 08:12 PM
    Can somebody explain to me how this is complicated?
    Its not?
    04-08-2014 09:10 PM
66 123