11-24-2015 11:55 PM
66 123
tools
    WP8.1 = Yes
    Cortana = Novelty I don't think I will use yet wouldn't mind trying it out to check its usefullness.

Most of my friends use iPhone and I have never heard them use or even mention 'Siri'

Still I am hoping MS can deliver a unique experience with Cortana to convert me.
    04-08-2014 11:05 PM
    The 3 syllables can be an issue if it must be spoken to activate it. It can easily be resolved by allowing users to specify a nickname. Think that "Cortana" is too long? Change it to something shorter, like "Tana".
    you hold the start button to activate.
    04-09-2014 05:49 AM
    you hold the start button to activate.
    Hold Search Button. Holding the Start button won't do anything in WP8.1.
    04-09-2014 01:59 PM
    Hold Search Button. Holding the Start button won't do anything in WP8.1.
    I have been corrected. Thank you. I wasn't sure. I was just making an assumption on the fact that they were holding something. lol
    04-09-2014 02:08 PM
    I was thinking about this. Siri, Google Now and Cortana offer voice control. That's probably useful in some circumstances, and it works quite well (obviously I didn't try Cortana yet). It seems that people generally don't use it very much, though, as it's slower and less accurate than even a touchscreen keyboard.

Google Now and Cortana also offer what are basically automatically configured widgets showing weather, traffic, news, etc. If you spend ten minutes, you could set up something similar on any Android or WP phone. Obviously iOS doesn't offer any widgets or live tiles, but even without widgets you can get the same information within a few touches. So it's hard to get very excited.

Aren't these technologies all seriously overhyped?
    04-10-2014 09:47 AM
    Just being able to use Cortana to set reminders via voice is a great thing. I wrote an app that I use myself on my phone that allows me to tell my phone to "remind me in xx minutes/hours/days" or "remind me at 4:30pm". It then plays the Microsoft Surface theme song when the alarm goes off. I use that all the time.

Wife says, "be sure to rotate out the laundry in about 20 minutes while I'm gone." I just tell my phone "remind me in 20 minutes." In 20 minutes it goes off. I know at that point what it is for. I would love to have it store what the reminder is about, but the Tell Me stuff doesn't allow that when doing voice apps from the Windows button. They have some weird features that don't allow random text translations to be sent to the app. 8.1 does allow that, so it will help a lot.

Do I like talking to my phone in public? No way. I work from home, so I am able to use the voice stuff a lot to help me out during the day. I just hope Cortana works its way onto the desktop as well.
    04-10-2014 10:03 AM
    Fair enough - as I said, voice control can be a useful feature. I just tried Siri and Google Now and both offer a similar reminder function (I don't have access to Cortana at the moment so can't try that). Whether it's quicker than using the touchscreen or not, I don't know - not a big difference either way, I guess, for simple things at least.

My point is that although these technologies are very clever (decent voice recognition especially), they don't really let us do anything new. I mean, I've always been able to set reminders on my phone. That's why I find it hard to get excited about them. Voice recognition can be useful in some situations where it's not possible to use a keyboard or touchscreen but you can spare enough concentration to talk and listen to your phone (I'm suspicious about using it while driving). However, the automatic widgets seem a bit pointless, except that it might be useful to have some kind of easy to access home screen with, say, commuting-related widgets on it, but I would prefer to set that up myself.
    04-10-2014 10:22 AM
    Was on a bit of a road trip yesterday and found Cortana very useful for choosing music while driving. "Play me some Paul Simon". Paul Simon starts playing. "Go to the next song please". Cortana switches to the next Paul Simon song.

I'm a bit disappointed however that I can't address her by name. Anytime I start a command with "Cortana" she doesn't understand the command. I also would like the option of activating her by using the keyword "Cortana" instead of having to long press the search button.
    04-15-2014 12:13 PM
    Was on a bit of a road trip yesterday and found Cortana very useful for choosing music while driving. "Play me some Paul Simon". Paul Simon starts playing. "Go to the next song please". Cortana switches to the next Paul Simon song.

I'm a bit disappointed however that I can't address her by name. Anytime I start a command with "Cortana" she doesn't understand the command. I also would like the option of activating her by using the keyword "Cortana" instead of having to long press the search button.
    Don't you think the name 'Cortana' is depressing? Try saying it. Your voice drops for the last syllable. It's like sighing. I think it's something to do with the repeating vowel sound. Even 'Cortina', 'Cortona', 'Cortena' or 'Cortuna' are much better.

EDIT: I seriously hope you weren't 'long pressing the search button' while driving.
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 04-15-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    04-15-2014 04:24 PM
    Cortana offering reminders plus saved locations is fantastic. I set two reminders for things I needed to do when I got home, and the second I walked in the door, they popped up on my screen. Repeat: that is fantastic.
    04-15-2014 04:41 PM
    Cortana offering reminders plus saved locations is fantastic. I set two reminders for things I needed to do when I got home, and the second I walked in the door, they popped up on my screen. Repeat: that is fantastic.
    That's great, but it's worth remembering that iOS has had location based reminders since at least version 5 (2011).
    04-15-2014 04:48 PM
    Don't you think the name 'Cortana' is depressing? Try saying it. Your voice drops for the last syllable. It's like sighing. I think it's something to do with the repeating vowel sound. Even 'Cortina', 'Cortona', 'Cortena' or 'Cortuna' are much better.
    I disagree. It doesn't sound depressing to me at all. Actually, it charges me up. Makes me feel better. Guess it's just the way I say "Cortana" as "COR-TAR-NA (short A at the end)."
    04-15-2014 05:34 PM

"Always-listening" likely won't come with current generation hardware, with the notable exception of devices like the 1520, Lumia ICON and the new Samsung Ativ SE. That's because always-listening would require the processor to always remain on, so it could constantly listen for keywords to activate. This is absolute murder for the battery.

The only reason the aforementioned devices /might/ get the feature is because they're using Snapdragon 800 processors, which has a dedicated core that can be used for such purposes. However, it'd require both an OS update to enable it in 8.1, plus firmware updates from the OEMs to activate the core and make it usable for such purpose.

So if you have one of those three devices, it's a maybe, but even then: I wouldn't hold my breath, unfortunately.
    BioticCharger likes this.
    04-16-2014 08:44 PM
    That's great, but it's worth remembering that iOS has had location based reminders since at least version 5 (2011).
    I believe it's been well established for quite some time that we've been behind on some basic features for awhile, and 8.1 is the great leap forward to put us on equal footing for the competition? ;)
    04-16-2014 08:45 PM
    change ur lang and region to united stES
    04-17-2014 12:49 PM
    I believe that was a reference to the HAL-9000, from Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey".

The generation gap sure shows with the name of this assistant thing. Since I don't play video games, and I have no idea what 'Halo' is like, I'm going to join the camp that says Cortana really doesn't make much sense as a name here. Now I know everyone with an Xbox is lining up to write awful, nasty things about me and how stupid I am, so don't waste your time. You won't change my opinion on the name. That said, it does sound like a functional and useful personal assistant, so I could see myself using it. I just don't like the name is all.
    Can I just mention that if you ask Cortana to sing to you she will sing the song the HAL 9000 sings in Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, "Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do"...
    11-24-2015 11:55 PM
66 123