Will Cortana be present for non US Developer preview users?

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
As the title says, am from India and will my 8.1 dev preview (4/10) come with no Cortana?

And its my first time trying a dev preview. So anything I should be concerned about?

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
My biggest question at the moment. If it does I'll just hold off getting the full update until she's released in Australia, likely in in 2017!! And I had the dev preview of GDR3 no fears as long as you've got you phone unlocked already and 'preview for developers' app installed.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Cortana is launching US first and that includes the dev preview update that will hit phones a week from now.

Workarounds to enable Cortana would likely require a user to completely wipe their notebook in order to have Cortana be accurate when it does launch in their region.

Kashyapjani

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Regarding devprev and warranty, you shouldn't be concerned. It is true that warranty MIGHT be considered void if the device is on dev prev, it will resume once the actual update is pushed out. Dev prev is almost a final build so it shouldn't harm your device. If in case, it runs into a problem, don't open your mouth about the preview when you go to Nokia Care. ;) "I don't know. My brother was using the phone!"

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Cortana is launching US first and that includes the dev preview update that will hit phones a week from now.

Workarounds to enable Cortana would likely require a user to completely wipe their notebook in order to have Cortana be accurate when it does launch in their region.

This is very disappointing. Only releasing in US could help them test Cortana and remove bugs but given the amount of hype, there will be a lot of hate towards Microsoft in this matter.
I hope they bring it soon. I'd give them at most 3~6 months.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Changing the region to US might enable her? Less likely because firmware downloaded OTA are most probably region specific.

In the simlutor this works. After I switched everything to German, Cortana (including Quiet Hours :( ) was complety gone. When setting Language and Region to English - United States, it came back again with all features.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
MS have made a big hype about W8, WP8 & XB1 sharing the same Kernal if Kinect can accept en-au vocal commands (which took a year to implement) why can't this code be transferred?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
This is very disappointing. Only releasing in US could help them test Cortana and remove bugs but given the amount of hype, there will be a lot of hate towards Microsoft in this matter.
I hope they bring it soon. I'd give them at most 3~6 months.

Hate towards Microsoft would exist in either case unfortunately. That just seems to be the 'cool' thing to do.

As I mentioned elsewhere they are the only company I have ever seen that gets hatred for staged releases.

It makes it really hard from an emotional standpoint to work there sometimes knowing that you're loathed and hated merely for working there.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hate towards Microsoft would exist in either case unfortunately. That just seems to be the 'cool' thing to do.

As I mentioned elsewhere they are the only company I have ever seen that gets hatred for staged releases.

It makes it really hard from an emotional standpoint to work there sometimes knowing that you're loathed and hated merely for working there.

Agreed. And the Cortana limitation will only fuel more hate.

But in a competitive stand point, this is a bad move. While Apple & Google move on with new tech/features, Microsoft is limiting its (best) features only to one country.

Ex. Bing it pretty much useless here in India. If they brought bing rewards and even that little music icon on WP that enable you to recognize audio to india or the rest of the world, it would have been much more popular. (assuming there is no technical limitations to do this)

Kashyapjani

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
In the simlutor this works. After I switched everything to German, Cortana (including Quiet Hours :( ) was complety gone. When setting Language and Region to English - United States, it came back again with all features.

So the trick should work on preview too. Well, region specific suggestions and queries still won't work. I don't like using another region because apps like bing news and finance won't give me the content I need. So much for cortana, eh?

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So the trick should work on preview too. Well, region specific suggestions and queries still won't work. I don't like using another region because apps like bing news and finance won't give me the content I need. So much for cortana, eh?

I likely will switch it to US still. Quiet Hours is a feature I'm already waiting for a long time. Also, the reminder stuff when leaving a location or communicating to a certain person seems to work fine. And when I search for special places here in Germany, HERE maps and Foursquare together usually do a better job than Bing for me, so it's no big loss.

hermantj

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hope it works this way. But they may limit it with the OTA. But I think it should work with the preview as the preview is the same for every one (there isn't a diferent version for every region, as far as I know).

EDIT : just tried something. Do you know that podcast in the wp store aren't available here in Europe? Well I thought if I set the region to USA and language to english, I could use the podcasts. Well, I still can't download podcasts from the store. Will be the smae with cortana???

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I hope it wld be included after all Dev preview is basically for wp enthusiasts who wants to test it out whatever is new and iron out the bugs by giving feedback...

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
If I were to change my region from India to US (to use Cortana), what functionalists in my phone will it affect? (Like app purchases etc)

benjaminries

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
For those with the emulator (I'm at work right now), can you tell us which of the following language+region settings needs to be on "United States" to enable Cortana?
  1. Phone language
  2. Country/Region
  3. Regional format

I'm Canadian, and I already run these settings on USA/Canada/Canada. Does that combo work? I guess the next best combo would be USA/USA/Canada...

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

Google Now worked in India from day 1. I travel a lot and find that the only feature missing when I'm in India as opposed to the USA, for example, is nearby movie showtimes. It pings for traffic to/from work, reminds me to leave for appointments in time, keeps track of my flights, everything. Most recently, they also added cricket updates and I was pleasantly surprised that it picked up on shipping emails from Flipkart (the Amazon of India, basically) and kept track of my packages for me.

If Google can do all this, I fail to see why MS cannot. Perhaps you can provide insight considering that you work there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss