04-11-2014 04:55 PM
77 1234
tools
    There is the great moto g which is great in functionality compared to lumia 520/525.yes it is only few thousands more than lumia it is only 14000 rs.but it has HD display nd corning gorilla glass nd kitkat.by introducing such a phone android has captured even more Indian market.Google now is available for all jb handsets with some limited functionality but Cortana will launch only in 2015 I believe but by that time Google would have come up with its own assistant.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Come back and talk to me when this so awesome handset is updated to next MAJOR OS update. My post wasn't about what specs low end handsets have. My post was about low ends getting major updates. You admitted its higher in price than 520. 520 in India sells for 7500-8000. Your quoted price is 6000 on top. Nearly the price of 2 Lumia 520s. So, it doesn't count. Price match 520 first, then talk major OS updates, then specs.

Not to mention HD display and gorilla glass is common, nothing extra ordinary. Low end Android still needs cores and cores of cores to run without a desire to kill yourself under an elephant foot with rhino picking your nose and porcupine rubbing your cheeks at the same time.
    neo158 and SRoshan143 like this.
    04-07-2014 03:10 PM
    Come back and talk to me when this so awesome handset is updated to next MAJOR OS update.
    You evidently aren't familiar with the Moto X & Moto G. They get the updates almost as soon as the Nexus devices, since Motorola is owned by Google (or was). Even Verizon's get the updates quickly!
    04-07-2014 03:18 PM
    You evidently aren't familiar with the Moto X & Moto G. They get the updates almost as soon as the Nexus devices, since Motorola is owned by Google (or was). Even Verizon's get the updates quickly!
    Nope, I am not. But still would want to wait till that is considered as "low end" handset and then when it gets an update. A handset that is nearly twice the price of WP low end isn't low end competition. But let's say it is, still I will wait till whatever after Kitkat follows on those handsets.
    Jaskys and SRoshan143 like this.
    04-07-2014 03:20 PM
    This guy gets it. :)
    Well, I am a linguist...
    04-07-2014 05:41 PM
    we can use bing rewards to buy wp apps?
    yes... Go to Bing rewards and then to redeem and scroll down to windows phone store and reward yourself...

Wow. All this for one app. Are you feeling very proud of yourself?
    you ignorant one, off with you .... Rest of us will reap rewards as we Bing on.....
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 04-08-2014 at 04:46 AM.
    04-08-2014 12:59 AM
    Hopefully it comes to Denmark when it comes to the UK! My friend could certainly taunt me with that.
    My guess is that it probably won't but anything's possible I suppose.
    04-08-2014 06:47 AM
    Low end Android still needs cores and cores of cores to run without a desire to kill yourself under an elephant foot with rhino picking your nose and porcupine rubbing your cheeks at the same time.
    I thought we had all agreed that Android runs better on low end handsets than WP - as demonstrated by Nokia's choice of AOSP for their 'X'?
    04-08-2014 09:02 AM
    I thought we had all agreed that Android runs better on low end handsets than WP - as demonstrated by Nokia's choice of AOSP for their 'X'?
    Was that sarcasm, if it was you forgot "/s"!!!
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    04-08-2014 09:05 AM
    Nokia X is not Android. Also this thread is about Cortana. Let it be so instead of going further off-topic.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-08-2014 09:20 AM
    Was that sarcasm, if it was you forgot "/s"!!!
    No, that was the conclusion we reached in another thread. The claim that "Nokia X is not Android" is debatably true, but not very helpful as most of the code will be the same.
    To bring this back on topic, handset performance shouldn't affect Cortana very much, as processing will be done in the cloud. Perhaps Microsoft are delaying the launch of Cortana outside the US partly because a lack of capacity in their data centres, or because the latency to their data centres outside the US is unacceptably high for the service.
    04-08-2014 09:46 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised if Cortana isn't available until late 2014 here in Canada either but it's not entirely Microsoft's fault. Our carriers are slow to push out updates. For example, I forced the Windows Phone 7.8 update onto my 7.5 phone back in February 2013 because Rogers was dragging its feet. Bell, Telus and Rogers want us all on iPhones or Samsung Galaxies.
    04-08-2014 10:08 AM
    Nokia X is not Android. Also this thread is about Cortana. Let it be so instead of going further off-topic.
    Not to cause a problem since I just got unbanned, but it most certainly is Android. It's just a forked version of Android, as it's based on the AOSP binaries, just like the Kindle Fire devices from Amazon.

It just cannot access Google services out of the box (unless you do some modifying).

To keep with the topic, Cortana shouldn't have an issue running on any WP 8 device since they build for the bottom up.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-11-2014 12:03 AM
    Not to cause a problem since I just got unbanned, but it most certainly is Android. It's just a forked version of Android, as it's based on the AOSP binaries, just like the Kindle Fire devices from Amazon.

It just cannot access Google services out of the box (unless you do some modifying).

To keep with the topic, Cortana shouldn't have an issue running on any WP 8 device since they build for the bottom up.
    Cortana would say: "Do you mean WP is running a forked version of Windows then?" :P
    04-11-2014 03:29 AM
    Cortana would say: "Do you mean WP is running a forked version of Windows then?" :P
    Yes and No. Since it was built by MS and is closed source some would argue no. However, GDR3 uses a stripped ARM build of 6.2.9200 that makes use of only part of the standard Windows 8 core and then has an entirely new set of features and UI added on top. So yes, from a technical standpoint and by the true definition of the term it is indeed forked.

That is part of the reason why they've said moving forward they want to move more towards a converged system with only 2 versions to maintain. It would allow them to bring all of the forked branches back into sync for development.

BTW, what do you think AOSP stands for?
    04-11-2014 03:57 AM
    but it most certainly is Android. It's just a forked version of Android, as it's based on the AOSP binaries, just like the Kindle Fire devices from Amazon.
    IMHO the answer to whether this is Android is somewhat ambiguous. Since Google defines AOSP to be Android, (although there is no rule saying it must be so, they could also call it Linux CE and say only the big brother is Android) and the Nokia X incorporates AOSP, it is by definition, at least in part, also Android. This is a very technical view however.

If I showed the Nokia X to any of my non-techy friends and told them it was Android, they would all say I was pulling their leg... Taking into account how most western consumers would judge this device, I'd say calling it Android is insincere.

In emerging markets however, where many "Android" users never owned an Android device with access to the play store and Google's services, expectations are different. For them, calling this Android would seem perfectly normal.

My point is, whether it makes sense to call this Android is a matter of perspective.

I think, for someone that has never heard of AOSP, has never owned an AOSP device, and doesn't care about such technical distinctions (99% of people in the U.S. and Europe), this is not Android. For everyone else, including us at WPC, it is.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    04-11-2014 05:00 AM
    Whether you guys want to call the Nokia X 'Android' or not, it is technically very close to other 'Android' phones and will likely have similar performance to full 'Android' running on the same device. That is the point relevant to my original post (57).
    04-11-2014 05:10 AM
    I don't find it ambiguous. AOSP literally stands for Android Open Source Project. The creators state clearly that it is Android. It runs Android apps. The only thing it is missing is some Google specific features, but even then that is not always true for AOSP projects. For instance Cyanogenmod can run Google services on 'blessed' devices.

Would you say that Windows N versions for Europe aren't Windows because Microsoft was forced to strip some core services out?

Would you say that Windows RT isn't Windows since it doesn't run Win32 apps? Not at all.

We are getting further off-topic again though. :(
    04-11-2014 05:18 AM
    I don't find it ambiguous. AOSP literally stands for Android Open Source Project. The creators state clearly that it is Android. It runs Android apps. The only thing it is missing is some Google specific features, but even then that is not always true for AOSP projects. For instance Cyanogenmod can run Google services on 'blessed' devices.

Would you say that Windows N versions for Europe aren't Windows because Microsoft was forced to strip some core services out?

Would you say that Windows RT isn't Windows since it doesn't run Win32 apps? Not at all.

We are getting further off-topic again though. :(
    This does demand a good discussion thread somewhere outside this thread - it is a good discussion.
    But for now lets all go back to Cortana.

Technically only a weekend between us and Cortana! :)
    04-11-2014 06:23 AM
    This does demand a good discussion thread somewhere outside this thread - it is a good discussion.
    But for now lets all go back to Cortana.

Technically only a weekend between us and Cortana! :)
    Yep, well for me a weekend and a few months as I live in the UK :p
    04-11-2014 06:29 AM
    Yep, well for me a weekend and a few months as I live in the UK :p
    I am in the UK too but that doesn't stop me from having Cortana.
    padiuk99 likes this.
    04-11-2014 07:18 AM
    Change region to USA
    04-11-2014 07:24 AM
    Change region to USA
    No thanks, I want to be able to download paid apps as well not just free ones ;)
    04-11-2014 07:29 AM
    Guys am from india if i changed my region to united states cos of cortana...will i face any problem on my phone ??
    04-11-2014 08:16 AM
    No thanks, I want to be able to download paid apps as well not just free ones ;)
    You can do that absolutely fine, if you use paypal or mobile operator billing. You just cant use cards that don't by default pay in $ that's it. I just purchased Halo:Spartan Assault using my paypal account (non-UK).
    04-11-2014 01:11 PM
    Guys am from india if i changed my region to united states cos of cortana...will i face any problem on my phone ??
    No.
    04-11-2014 01:11 PM
77 1234