Cortana not coming until 2015

kalo88

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Cortana doesnt seem to have much of a problem recognising accents spoken in English, in one of the demos one guy had a heavy .. I think mexican? accent and it understood him perfectly fine. I guess it's about the fine tuning for other languages and local information that will take time..

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Cortana doesnt seem to have much of a problem recognising accents spoken in English, in one of the demos one guy had a heavy .. I think mexican? accent and it understood him perfectly fine. I guess it's about the fine tuning for other languages and local information that will take time..

Vocals aren't the problem they have already done that work in the original Kinect. The problem is Bing lacks functionality when you're outside the US. The Bing team has a lot of work to do and I think Android will beat WP8.1 in having all the abilities of Cortana.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Vocals aren't the problem they have already done that work in the original Kinect. The problem is Bing lacks functionality when you're outside the US. The Bing team has a lot of work to do and I think Android will beat WP8.1 in having all the abilities of Cortana.

Android will have everything Cortana has plus 10 more features before Cortana is rolled out in more than one continent. By the time Cortana goes worldwide, Siri and Google Now will already have jokes about Cortana that may have gone viral. What Microsoft is failing with consistently and royally is - timing.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
How do you know that? You haven't tested Cortana, it may be better than Now, it may be not.. Plus, it's still in beta..

The fact that it is still in beta vs GNow and Siri being nearly matured gives them far greater window to copy (innovate) same features and more based on their mature service. You don't need to use Cortana to do the maths.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The fact that it is still in beta vs GNow and Siri being nearly matured gives them far greater window to copy (innovate) same features and more based on their mature service. You don't need to use Cortana to do the maths.
MS has been working on the iinfrastructure to support Cortana for a while. MS Research is huge.

Will certain expected features that are present in other services be included? Probably. But that's only because those features will be expected as a baseline.

But to think that MS can't include original and innovative capability is pretty much just being a hater.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
One thing i found frustrating about siri when it launched was the fact that it didn't understand you like 40% of the time if you had an accent

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
MS has been working on the iinfrastructure to support Cortana for a while. MS Research is huge.

Will certain expected features that are present in other services be included? Probably. But that's only because those features will be expected as a baseline.

But to think that MS can't include original and innovative capability is pretty much just being a hater.

I say everything you said is true. Did Google Now and Siri have a 3 month beta and 10 months long region locked phases too? If it is indeed a years long infrastructure set up phase, why still end up with a beta? Surely a corporation with such large number of resources like you suggest can do better timed releases of features such as "Siri-like" Cortana or Microsoft's Siri (that's what media has called it).

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
right now on win phone 8 you get nothing except a bing search .......cant scroll right or left no music identificatons ..........and no interactive BING images those square boxes of info about the picture also missing .....just a vanilla search page that is all...very limited....... can expect the same on win 8.1 with a circling cortana .......not sure

This is patently false*.

I press the search button on my 822 I get right to the regular Bing start page, complete with the square boxes of info...at the bottom of this page are 3 buttons...one for local search, one for music identification, and one for the bing lens.

If I swipe to the left I get local deals, to the right I get local events

ETA: *in the USA.

Last edited:

iXesh

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't think windows phone want to grab a high reputation...
First of all features should be given at time of software rolling...
And other thing, they are not doing much better for India..
When Lumia Phone launch first time all people have a craze of Lumia and windows phone, but now its all down, only cheapest Lumia phone are running well...
And still India doesn't got Bing smart search with nearby features...
And now we have to wait for cortana till 2015 crap...
Now I can only wish to have 8.1 update till end of may...
For my lumia 520
That's why Android is well popular every where...
And iOS at mountain top...
Wish my comment shouldn't be deleted by admin again...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This is patently false.

I press the search button on my 822 I get right to the regular Bing start page, complete with the square boxes of info...at the bottom of this page are 3 buttons...one for local search, one for music identification, and one for the bing lens.

If I swipe to the left I get local deals, to the right I get local events
Since when is USA, a part of India?

I don't think windows phone want to grab a high reputation...
First of all features should be given at time of software rolling...
And other thing, they are not doing much better for India..
When Lumia Phone launch first time all people have a craze of Lumia and windows phone, but now its all down, only cheapest Lumia phone are running well...
And still India doesn't got Bing smart search with nearby features...
And now we have to wait for cortana till 2015 crap...
Now I can only wish to have 8.1 update till end of may...
For my lumia 520
That's why Android is well popular every where...
And iOS at mountain top...
Wish my comment shouldn't be deleted by admin again...

The tone of your posts say nothing but intentional trolling. No wonder it was deleted (if you say so!)
You are running the cheapest handset available on the platform and still have so many complaints? What Android phone in the same range, in India.. forget India, in the world has given you a major OS update BEFORE it reaches other high-end handsets?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
In the UK the only thing that seems to be missing is Bing Rewards so it's not that big of a deal. I can wait for Cortana as I don't want it to be a half baked beta like Google Now and Siri were when they were launched in other countries.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
In the UK the only thing that seems to be missing is Bing Rewards so it's not that big of a deal. I can wait for Cortana as I don't want it to be a half baked beta like Google Now and Siri were when they were launched in other countries.

Most likely UK update will be after launch of new handsets other places so in June and latest July, we should see it. But it is said "first half of 2014" so I don't think UK has to wait more than 2 months, max!

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
My mistake....I thought that Bing was the same throughout, and the differences in Cortana were something new.

Haha, nope. Bing is a relatively basic service outside of the US which Microsoft will have to significantly buff up if they expect Cortana to be a selling point internationally.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Haha, nope. Bing is a relatively basic service outside of the US which Microsoft will have to significantly buff up if they expect Cortana to be a selling point internationally.

out of curiosity, what extra featured do you Americans get? I don't really use Bing that often anymore but maybe the prospect of the US version once landing in Europe will bring some insight.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Most likely UK update will be after launch of new handsets other places so in June and latest July, we should see it. But it is said "first half of 2014" so I don't think UK has to wait more than 2 months, max!

That's what I'm thinking, it would make sense to have Cortana after the new handsets as well, especially as it's one of WP8.1 major features.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I think also from what I've read Cortana will be "different" - when they said it was a true assistant they weren't lying. For example I think in one video someone asked Cortana to remind them to pick up the groceries or something and it had recognised (in the live text output box) pick up the flowery, yet it picked out from context he meant groceries instead. Also, I read somewhere that they've coded Cortana to change the pitch of her speaking voice on particular words like humans do to match six different "emotions" - which is pretty impressive. I think they're really aiming to nail it first. And yes, Google Now and Siri had 10 month trial/beta periods (Google already had the voice recognition) but I think MS should try not to take equally as long given they have to play catch-up. That said, I wouldn't like a half-baked product like Siri was

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Bing reward for one, is something that Canadians (American's neighbors) don't even have. That's something very useful, of course you could use VPN and stuff to get it but still..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb