Cortana not coming until 2015

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if Cortana isn't available until late 2014 here in Canada either but it's not entirely Microsoft's fault. Our carriers are slow to push out updates. For example, I forced the Windows Phone 7.8 update onto my 7.5 phone back in February 2013 because Rogers was dragging its feet. Bell, Telus and Rogers want us all on iPhones or Samsung Galaxies.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Nokia X is not Android. Also this thread is about Cortana. Let it be so instead of going further off-topic.

Not to cause a problem since I just got unbanned, but it most certainly is Android. It's just a forked version of Android, as it's based on the AOSP binaries, just like the Kindle Fire devices from Amazon.

It just cannot access Google services out of the box (unless you do some modifying).

To keep with the topic, Cortana shouldn't have an issue running on any WP 8 device since they build for the bottom up.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Not to cause a problem since I just got unbanned, but it most certainly is Android. It's just a forked version of Android, as it's based on the AOSP binaries, just like the Kindle Fire devices from Amazon.

It just cannot access Google services out of the box (unless you do some modifying).

To keep with the topic, Cortana shouldn't have an issue running on any WP 8 device since they build for the bottom up.

Cortana would say: "Do you mean WP is running a forked version of Windows then?" :p

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Cortana would say: "Do you mean WP is running a forked version of Windows then?" :p

Yes and No. Since it was built by MS and is closed source some would argue no. However, GDR3 uses a stripped ARM build of 6.2.9200 that makes use of only part of the standard Windows 8 core and then has an entirely new set of features and UI added on top. So yes, from a technical standpoint and by the true definition of the term it is indeed forked.

That is part of the reason why they've said moving forward they want to move more towards a converged system with only 2 versions to maintain. It would allow them to bring all of the forked branches back into sync for development.

BTW, what do you think AOSP stands for?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
but it most certainly is Android. It's just a forked version of Android, as it's based on the AOSP binaries, just like the Kindle Fire devices from Amazon.

IMHO the answer to whether this is Android is somewhat ambiguous. Since Google defines AOSP to be Android, (although there is no rule saying it must be so, they could also call it Linux CE and say only the big brother is Android) and the Nokia X incorporates AOSP, it is by definition, at least in part, also Android. This is a very technical view however.

If I showed the Nokia X to any of my non-techy friends and told them it was Android, they would all say I was pulling their leg... Taking into account how most western consumers would judge this device, I'd say calling it Android is insincere.

In emerging markets however, where many "Android" users never owned an Android device with access to the play store and Google's services, expectations are different. For them, calling this Android would seem perfectly normal.

My point is, whether it makes sense to call this Android is a matter of perspective.

I think, for someone that has never heard of AOSP, has never owned an AOSP device, and doesn't care about such technical distinctions (99% of people in the U.S. and Europe), this is not Android. For everyone else, including us at WPC, it is.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Whether you guys want to call the Nokia X 'Android' or not, it is technically very close to other 'Android' phones and will likely have similar performance to full 'Android' running on the same device. That is the point relevant to my original post (57).

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't find it ambiguous. AOSP literally stands for Android Open Source Project. The creators state clearly that it is Android. It runs Android apps. The only thing it is missing is some Google specific features, but even then that is not always true for AOSP projects. For instance Cyanogenmod can run Google services on 'blessed' devices.

Would you say that Windows N versions for Europe aren't Windows because Microsoft was forced to strip some core services out?

Would you say that Windows RT isn't Windows since it doesn't run Win32 apps? Not at all.

We are getting further off-topic again though. :(

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't find it ambiguous. AOSP literally stands for Android Open Source Project. The creators state clearly that it is Android. It runs Android apps. The only thing it is missing is some Google specific features, but even then that is not always true for AOSP projects. For instance Cyanogenmod can run Google services on 'blessed' devices.

Would you say that Windows N versions for Europe aren't Windows because Microsoft was forced to strip some core services out?

Would you say that Windows RT isn't Windows since it doesn't run Win32 apps? Not at all.

We are getting further off-topic again though. :(

This does demand a good discussion thread somewhere outside this thread - it is a good discussion.
But for now lets all go back to Cortana.

Technically only a weekend between us and Cortana! :)

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
This does demand a good discussion thread somewhere outside this thread - it is a good discussion.
But for now lets all go back to Cortana.

Technically only a weekend between us and Cortana! :)

Yep, well for me a weekend and a few months as I live in the UK :p

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
No thanks, I want to be able to download paid apps as well not just free ones ;)

You can do that absolutely fine, if you use paypal or mobile operator billing. You just cant use cards that don't by default pay in $ that's it. I just purchased Halo:Spartan Assault using my paypal account (non-UK).

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
You can do that absolutely fine, if you use paypal or mobile operator billing. You just cant use cards that don't by default pay in $ that's it. I just purchased Halo:Spartan Assault using my paypal account (non-UK).

So how is my UK PayPal account and O2-UK Mobile operator billing going to help when paying in dollars, you stated it yourself in your post that it was a non-UK PayPal account and I quote:

"I just purchased Halo:Spartan Assault using my paypal account (non-UK)"

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
So how is my UK PayPal account and O2-UK Mobile operator billing going to help when paying in dollars, you stated it yourself in your post that it was a non-UK PayPal account and I quote:
Because Paypal does currency exchange and pays in ridiculous types of currencies. My PayPal uses ? from my bank card and pays store in $. For some reason this logic doesn't work if you are using credit card on Microsoft account. I haven't tried mobile operator billing, but last time I migrated my regions, I was advised from Microsoft support that if I have operator billing supported, I can add the charges to my bill. So I know for sure that PayPal works and I am assuming operator billing works as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750