Cortana: Tips and Tricks (Halo Questions in OP)

WPUser2

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Cortana: Tips and Tricks

hello I have a few questions

I haven't read all the earlier posts so sorry if these questions are repetitive

1)because with the dev preview, cortana will only be available in the US, is it possible to set your location to US and still use cortana if you live in the uk?

2)if yes to the above, then will geo-fencing reminders still work, as it will know you're not in the US?

3) with the dev preview, if cortana is not available in the uk, what will the search button do?

thanks in advance

Victoroos

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

I was wondering. They say that cortana can toggle settings. Could I also Say things like "when I'm at school, please turn on battery saver" ?

Then I would officially feel swag :p:D

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site

1)because with the dev preview, cortana will only be available in the US, is it possible to set your location to US and still use cortana if you live in the uk?

2)if yes to the above, then will geo-fencing reminders still work, as it will know you're not in the US?

3) with the dev preview, if cortana is not available in the uk, what will the search button do?

thanks in advance

For 1) and 2) there are separate thead to address this. Do a simple search and you'll find them.

For 3) The search button will remain the same as it is today.

Victoroos

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

thanks in advance
yes.
I can answer that 1:yes, put your region to USA in the phone settings.

2:Only 1 way to find out. However, my school in the Netherlands was recognised as a place in emulator. So For now, I'dd say yes.
3: irrelevant. But I thought it would being op tell me and bing as it used to

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

I saw in Daniel hands on video , there was quiet hours in settings , so I guess one can still access quiet hours :)

it means we get quiet hours in India as Cortana will not be there so another question still we can get inner circle? As I wanted quiet hours & inner circle with or without Cortana in India as I have to wait Cortana for 1-2 years but I wanted both features whenever wp8.1 (OTA) is available.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

it means we get quiet hours in India as Cortana will not be there so another question still we can get inner circle? As I wanted quiet hours & inner circle with or without Cortana in India as I have to wait Cortana for 1-2 years but I wanted both features whenever wp8.1 (OTA) is available.

I think you can get Inner Circle and Quiet Hours WITHOUT Cortana. Cortana is just a convenient "front end" for those features. Don't hold me to that though. lol

Hai, may i asked something..? Does anyone know when will cortana update available at asia (Malaysia)...?

There are really no firm dates for regions to be rolled out. There is a LOT to do on the back end.

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

I think you can get Inner Circle and Quiet Hours WITHOUT Cortana. Cortana is just a convenient "front end" for those features. Don't hold me to that though. lol
can you confirm with any Microsoft & any other WPC executive as due to this basis (quiet hours & inner circle features) my cousins & friends (10-15 ) will get mobile when it will launch officially in India, i.e 2-3 months so if yes then good for waiting & if not then there choice to move on or stay there and wait.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

can you confirm with any Microsoft & any other WPC executive as due to this basis (quiet hours & inner circle features) my cousins & friends (10-15 ) will get mobile when it will launch officially in India, i.e 2-3 months so if yes then good for waiting & if not then there choice to move on or stay there and wait.

I will be asking. May not be until Monday before I hear back.

Thanks!

Victoroos

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

Could you please please tell me whether I can feel swag or not? (see post above).. I have been pondering about it for ages.. :D

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Ok, how about this. Can Cortana do:

When "Boss" emails me, play "Darth Vader's theme song.mp3"

When "Daughter" emails me, play "Flight of the bumble-bee.mp3"

Can she do that?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Established earlier in the thread. No custom tones for emails for Individual contacts at this time. :(

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Established earlier in the thread. No custom tones for emails for Individual contacts at this time. :(

HA! I think I figured out a way around it!

What if I create a separate email account, a "destination mailbox".

In my original mailbox, the one my daughter or boss will send emails to, create a filter that will forward emails to the destination mailbox and THEN use the new Notifications to specify a specific alert for the destination mailbox itself. I like this since the processing will take place OFF the phone, doesn't take any resources on the phone's part.

This should work shouldn't it??? =)

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

HA! I think I figured out a way around it!

What if I create a separate email account, a "destination mailbox".

In my original mailbox, the one my daughter or boss will send emails to, create a filter that will forward emails to the destination mailbox and THEN use the new Notifications to specify a specific alert for the destination mailbox itself. I like this since the processing will take place OFF the phone, doesn't take any resources on the phone's part.

This should work shouldn't it??? =)

YES!! That WOULD work! When setting up a mail account, you CANNOT set up a custom tone...

HOWEVER

In the Notifications+Actions settings, YOU CAN!!!

Take a look at these screens. :)

Notifications+Action Center:
vapUPdt.png

App Settings:
qMwNo2Y.png

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Have you kept notes in Cortana but want to be able to view/edit/delete them?

Cortana is not very good at letting you manipulate the notes you have taken, however, it's simple and easy to find and do with them as needed.

Simply open up OneNote (on any device that you have sync'd with your MS Account) and go to:

Personal Web > Quick Notes

You will find them all safely tucked away there and can do what you need with them.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99